Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Also, keeping the dog's nails trimmed helps a lot. For some reason it seems their nails grow more quickly as they age - has anyone else noticed that?
It's because they're not as active so the nails aren't wearing down naturally from scraping on surfaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,248,001 times
Dear IAMNOTTHEMOM,
Thank you SO MUCH for the tip on Mannington floors, I found their website and have it saved in my favs, and I made a note of it, too. Your report of how it worked for a person and the dog convinced me this will be our choice when we get around to it!!! But next time I'm out looking for whatever, I'll stop at a store that carries it and see what kind of price I can get. It would be so great to get all those throw rugs off the floor!!!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!
GG

Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 AM

26 posts, read 135,834 times
Default Different Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear IAMNOTTHEMOM,
Thank you SO MUCH for the tip on Mannington floors, I found their website and have it saved in my favs, and I made a note of it, too. Your report of how it worked for a person and the dog convinced me this will be our choice when we get around to it!!! But next time I'm out looking for whatever, I'll stop at a store that carries it and see what kind of price I can get. It would be so great to get all those throw rugs off the floor!!!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!
GG
If memory serves me, I think the Sobello came in two or three different "grades" - the warranty varied from 10 to 15 (maybe more?) years. As I said, I am very pleased with the flooring. In my case, ceramic tile wasn't an option and the Mannington ended up costing less any way, WIN in my book. I did have to use a flooring store, as it was not sold at any of the Big Box places.

Good luck and hopefully you will be scatter-rug free soon!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
just be aware, some of the cork flooring options while sealed and "hard" are still suseptible to claw damage.

ive found a few sheet vinly options that are slip resistant at normal speeds. my usual reccomendation is to go with a low sheene textured product that specifically states scratch resistant.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 838 times
Default Hi, Hope you doing well. I have a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Hey,
We've had a number of dogs over the years, they've walked on everything from linoleum to hardwood, which most dogs when they're younger can manage with any surface. Our last two dogs, when they got much older, had a very hard time walking across our kitchen floor. It is linoleum, pretty slick and older, and they would slip and fall hard. So, we have rubber-backed scatter rugs all thru there, which looks messy and they really don't work all that well, plus coverage is incomplete for dog paws. And we have to drag the throws out onto the patio and hose them off, another pain. So, we want to put something down appropriate for kitchen cleanups and also non-slip, a complete new floor.

Sooooooo, I'm hoping someone here can tell us what kind of floor can we lay down in the kitchen that will not slip? Our older dogs are gone now, but we're going to get a new dog in a couple weeks or so, and I would kind of like to take care of the situation now. It would be great to have a regular kitchen floor with just the usual throws in front of the sink and stove. I thought about cork, but they say they're covered with a sealer, so I don't know if that would be slippery or not. I like cork a lot and want to get a roll of it and go the easy route, just stick it down over our old linoleum. Any news on best brand, or is there something better than cork? Or maybe we should just clean our existing linoleum really well and then sand it? Or would that make it too prickly? Thanks for any help.
GG
Hi, hope you doing great. I think rubber flooring would be the fine advise. Rubber flooring is perfect for safety point of view. I know very good reliable source who can guide you in detailed. [url=http://www.nonslip-uk.co.uk/]Rubber Flooring, Rubber Matting, Rubber Sheet, Gym Mats, Playground Mats & Grass Mats[/url] check this link. Am sure you will get positive reply.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
Default Slippery floors

Boy, can I relate and not happily so. My dog slipped on our flooring and ruptured a disc, which did permanent damage. I will never forgive myself for having slippery floors.

When we remodeled our kitchen, we put non-glazed(??)ceramic tile down throughout our kitchen and two adjoining bathrooms. It works great unless it's wet. We have non-slip throw rugs by the door and so far it's worked very well. As for the rest of the house, it's throws all over the place and I hate them. They slip even with silicone on the back. I've been thinking about using rubber spray that I can get at Home Depot and using that to hold down the rugs until we can get something permanent.

I vowed that we would never get another dog until all our floors are completely safe for our dogs. I am looking for non-slip flooring and some of the suggestions here have given me ideas of what to look for. If I come up with a good resolution to our problems, I will post on here again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs