Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM

202 posts, read 472,894 times

Advertisements

Our two small terriers were playing or fighting and one got his jaw caught on the others collar. My wife yells to me that the dogs were fighting outside. By the time I reached them one was torn up quite a bit. The other one a little.

We found some safety dog collars on line but decided to try some collars we found that have two D rings on them. We tied the D rings together with a twist tie and they seem to stay on so far. It would be hard to pull apart but in I fight we believe they would come off. I guess we won't be able to tell how they work until we see the collar get pulled off in a fight. They have bot come off yet. I read that every vet has a dog collar incident story.

Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
I don't leave Bella's collar on her in the house. The only time it's on is if she goes outside and then she's supervised because I don't have a fenced in yard.

When she was a young pup I put her in the bathroom so I could take a nap. I heard her banging up agents the wall. Went in there to check on her and her collar was caught on the pipes that go the the toliet. Thank God I was there or she could have been strangled.

After that the collar stayed off unless I was with her.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
None of my dogs wear their collars inside, only when I take them out. I had a rat cage a few were REALLY interested in, and they could have easily entangle their tags within the bars, or even hooked their collars in their own crates.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I had 2 collies that were playing. Ones tooth got cough in the links of the other choker collar! Good thing I was home! After that Collars were only worn when go to classes or shows! All dogs were tatooed & tags were hung on the gate!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Why are the collars getting pulled off? They shouldn't be on that loose.

Why are you tying D rings with twist ties? If you're afraid of them getting caught on the D rings, just cut them off with metal cutters.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Have also heard horror stories of the tags on the collars getting stuck in between the spaces on a wood deck flooring - the dog goes to get up and can't move, panics etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I don't put collars on mine either - we have Rottweilers, and they love to wrestle. If someone's foot, tooth, etc. got caught in the collar, it would turn ugly in a hurry because of the panic factor and one of the dogs could be seriously injured. All of mine are microchipped so I have the identity factor in my favor should they get loose and get picked up. Collars are only for walking or transporting to the vet, etc. All that being said - I realize some people will not take the initiative to have the dog scanned for a chip should they become separated from me. It's just a risk I run.

There was an incident not too long ago when I didn't shut the front door real well. I was across the street having breakfast at my father's when he noted "a bunch of dogs" in my front yard - yep, I have a bunch! - they had opened the partially cracked front door, sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and were playing Free Willy in the front yard. Thankfully, he noticed them before any of them decided to go check the pee-mail 6 blocks over and I was able to round them up and get them back in the house. It was a scary time with 6 dogs running willy-nilly in the yard - the blind boy was the only one who had enough sense to stay in the house :-)

I think you are best off removing the collars completely unless you can supervise. In our case, even that isn't an option - if a panicked situation arose, the last thing I want to do is stick my arm in between two dogs who may be in fright mode.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
Our two small terriers were playing or fighting and one got his jaw caught on the others collar. My wife yells to me that the dogs were fighting outside. By the time I reached them one was torn up quite a bit. The other one a little.

We found some safety dog collars on line but decided to try some collars we found that have two D rings on them. We tied the D rings together with a twist tie and they seem to stay on so far. It would be hard to pull apart but in I fight we believe they would come off. I guess we won't be able to tell how they work until we see the collar get pulled off in a fight. They have bot come off yet. I read that every vet has a dog collar incident story.

Anyone else have this problem?
my main question is, why do you leave two dogs, that were potentially figthing with each other , alone?

I agree that if you have multiple dogs it is better to leave them without collars on while inside.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,309 times
[quote=movedtothecoast;22894628]my main question is, why do you leave two dogs, that were potentially figthing with each other , alone?
QUOTE]

I don't think the two dogs are fighting. Once one is caught by the collar and become panic, the other one will try to get away but can't. It may look like a fight but it is not. I have seen this several times.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM

202 posts, read 472,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why are the collars getting pulled off? They shouldn't be on that loose.

Why are you tying D rings with twist ties? If you're afraid of them getting caught on the D rings, just cut them off with metal cutters.
We want the collars to stay on except in the case where the collar would get caught on something like some of the posts have talked about or if the dogs get caught on each other. In those cases we want the collars to come off to free the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs