Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times

Advertisements

My 8 y/o yorkie all of a sudden started staggering and falling down. This went on for a few days. For the past week he has been unable to stand and when I try to stand him he has no balance whatsoever. I never noticed any strange eye movement or head tilt although he does keep his head down. No vomiting and appetite very good. The vet said it would cost 3,000 dollars just to make a diagnosis. I was wondering if anyone has had a dig completely down for over a week only to end up recovering completely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 752 times
Default Did your Yorkie recover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy's boy View Post
My 8 y/o yorkie all of a sudden started staggering and falling down. This went on for a few days. For the past week he has been unable to stand and when I try to stand him he has no balance whatsoever. I never noticed any strange eye movement or head tilt although he does keep his head down. No vomiting and appetite very good. The vet said it would cost 3,000 dollars just to make a diagnosis. I was wondering if anyone has had a dig completely down for over a week only to end up recovering completely?

Did your Yorkie recover?? I just found my 12 yr. old Yorkie in the same condition. He can't stand, no strange eye movements, or head tilting either. He will eat watered down canned food off a spoon or out of my hand, and he will pee if I take him on the deck. However, he is not barking which is not usual for him as he is a yapper. It is very distressing to see him like this....Please let me know if your dog got better.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,380,754 times
dj - vestibular disease almost always comes with the eye movement and severe nausea so it's likely there is something else wrong with your dog. Two things that come to mind are injury due do jumping off of something high like a bed or couch or lyme disease which affects the joints and makes it difficult or impossible for the dog to stand.

You really need to get the dog to the vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 609 times
Has anyone had experience with their pet having severe tremors ( Chills) AFTER the not being able to walk part of this PVS? At about 4pm and again at 10 pm, our 13 Y.o. toy poodle has them so bad I have to wrap her in a blanket and just hold her as tightly as I can for about 45 minutes. We have only had this dog for about four months, but have had two of her sons for 2 and three years. My daughter had the mother, Putt-Putt for three years. She has always been very spry up until this point. About two weeks ago, one of the sons had a bad ear infection, and I wonder if she could have picked it up from him? Haven't taken her to the vet yet, as she only wobbled around for about three days, and another forum said it would usually clear up in a week or so, and she seemed to be improving daily. After being on this site, and hearing about years of symptoms, I don't know what to do. We have insurance on Butler and Bubba, but not the mom as she is so old.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,461 times
Thumbs up Scary

I have been searchng for several,days for a discussion about this disease.
I have a 15 yr old female Cocker Spaniel. She was diagnosed Dec 23 with congestive heart failure. She responded well to,treatment. She has been fine until April 1. She started staggering, wobbling, falling, shaking ,jerking and would at times just stand all legs wide apart. It has been worse in the am when waking.
On April 6 I had let her stagger out to potty. I turned my back and then looked out and saw her laying on her side. When I picked her up she was having heavy breathing. I rushed her to the ER snd she was in heart failure again. She again bounced back. When we got home that night she was miserable all the shaking falling etc continued. I could not believe they,sent her home in this condition. The night of April 9 she was really bad to the point I was in fear she was going to have a heart attach so,back to ER. All I got was she needed MRI. This little dog may have not made it through. I chose not to do this because such a risk and it may show nothing. I was told they knew this was not heart related because she wore the holster and when it was happenmg no,heart changes. I ask what other text can be done to,find out the cause. I got zero answers. So on the 10 I brought her home still drunk and jerking. I was prepared to,out her to sleep. Crying had pretty much stopped. so I thought give it some time. They first said she was in pain. They are thinking she had seizure when she collapsed that brought on the heart failure again. I think she fainted from the stress of it all. I am sure she picked up in mine on top of hers. She is taking sezuie Meds but I do not once think she was have those kind seizures she was always aware. Maybe confused as to what was happening. No,as have to address these meds.
So,long story short, after 1600.00 I had no answer. Only a diet they wanted her to eat that she will not.
I am not sure this is exactly what my little girl had, but tonight, she is almost normal. Just at the snap of a finger almost she came back. Still a bit shaky. This had been my thought as what was wrong, but everyone always talked about the head tilt and twitching eyes. I did find a article that saud if the dog had bilateral PVD the tilt and eye twitching will not be present. I am Hopi g it is over. She has always had terrible ears . Tomorrow I am demanding oral antibiotics as well as iinner drops I adk the drs to,piece check her ears. She was at a speciality hospital,and they brushed me off.
I wanted to,post this in case someone had avsimular situation this might help. Well,let you know if the recovery continues on what I believe to have been bilateral PVD
I do have videos of her if it would help,anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs