Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

We never walked our labs.

Bear and Angel are 13 now.

We live on 100 Acres, back off the road.

When they were younger they would run in the woods for hours.

I few times I would call them and be upset until they came running.

Sure wish I had the tracking collars back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Weather permitting, my dogs get walked 1.5 miles 2x a day (total=3miles) They are an 8 year old boston terrier and a 10 year old boxer. In hot weather, the walks are shorter. I am home with an injury. So right now my DH walks them on weekends and I have a paid dog walker on M-W-F, so they are getting gypped and they let me know it!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I just got back from Rip's run.

He ran and "squeaked" most of the way.

It is a high pitched noise they make while in pursuit.

Then at the tree there has to be a distinctly different voice.

I should know my dog from all others.

In competition they run in groups of 30.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM

653 posts, read 946,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
How many of you all walk your dog? If so for how long? If not why? I just got back from his 3rd walk today. Normally, I only walk him once, but I am trying to be more routine about it. I do have a fenced yard, but he seems more calm after he's walked.
Here in MD, when it's cold, due to one pup's asthma, unless we have an unusual warm snap, the pups don't go out at all for many months on end (about 6 -- a HUGE reason we're relocating to CA later this year).

When it's 68*+ and not raining, we're at the local park every day (even if that means missing a trip to the grocery store, or doing the laundry late), and we'll walk laps on the paved trail around all the kids playing sports for a min. 30 mins. (if I get out of work late), but more usually an hour or two, sometimes three or four on the weekend. We also stop and socialize with the other dogs and children there. It's our happiest place on earth.

On days like today (we have an usual warm snap today!) when we only have a very brief window to get the pups outdoors before the evening temps. drop again (so no time to drive to the park), we let the kids at least get outside by running in the large fenced yard.

In the warmer months, in addition to our walks at the park, the kids also run in the fenced yard for a bit.

As they're getting older, they aren't as high energy as they used to be and tucker out pretty quickly in the yard (say, 15 mins. lol). At that point they're sniffing or napping in the grass.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,595 times
We try to walk our dog daily, rotating between me and my husband. Thing is, my dog hates the winter time and will protest going out when it is so cold. He whines because the pads of his feet get real ice cold on the cement. So, instead, we will play in the backyard for a while - tossing his tennis ball back and forth for about a half hour, then I'll play hide n' seek with him. I will pretend to run back in the house, he follows me, and then I hide behind a tree and he has to find me. He always wins in the end, and a couple hours later he is pooped. I just did this last night with him - also I got out the red laser that our cats play with and took it outside, and he was having a blast, trying to catch it (of course I pointed it only at the grass). We have a nice big backyard so he is able to run and run and run.

Last edited by beatlecrazy; 02-23-2012 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: sentence structure made no sense

Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
We try to walk our dog daily, rotating between me and my husband. Thing is, my dog hates the winter time and will protest going out when it is so cold. He whines because the pads of his feet get real ice cold on the cement. So, instead, we will play in the backyard for a while - tossing his tennis ball back and forth for about a half hour, then I'll play hide n' seek with him. I will pretend to run back in the house, he follows me, and then I hide behind a tree and he has to find me. He always wins in the end, and a couple hours later he is pooped. I just did this last night with him - also I got out the red laser that our cats play with and took it outside, and he was having a blast, trying to catch it (of course I pointed it only at the grass). We have a nice big backyard so he is able to run and run and run.
Try putting some fleece booties on him. That may solve the problem. My pup's a cold-weather breed, but his feet freeze at -20F or colder. A $12 set of booties fixed him right up though, and he was out playing and rolling around in the snow down to -40F! They really help with traction when it's icy out, too.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I dont walk my dogs. They get plenty of exercise just running thru the apt.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Road salt is a big problem in the winter in my region. It burns their feet.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I don't. I don't trust the dog owners in my walking path. I am paranoid that an at large dog will attack. My 9lb dachshund/toy poodle mix is blind. When I walk her, I have to really control her on the leash so she doesn't poke her eyes in overgrown shrubbery on either side of the sidewalk. She has a doggie door and a fully fenced, safe yard to run around in whenever she wants--and she does. She loves being outside running around. I prune all low lying branches/shrubs so she doesn't poke her eyes.

When my dad was alive, during his visits, he and my dog would stay oustide for HOURS. He'd be on the deck and my dog would be running around the yard. It was hard to get her to come inside even for a drink of water.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I just got back from another potty break. I live rural and do have a fenced area that is not contiguous to the house for off leash zoomies and frizbee, but I have 10 acres to walk so Odie gets plenty of exercise. Plus we have indoor fetch that he initiates - will bring me a toy to throw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs