Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colognegirl View Post
I walk my dog at least 1,5 hours a day. We had a house with a fenced garden but that was boring to him after a while. I don't want to bother someone but I can't understand why people have dogs and don't go for a walk with them. (Except old dogs who have problems to run). That shows that they have no knowledge about dogs. Dogs are very social and they want to snuff around and explore their area.
Nothing is more boring than the garden and the house where they live.
Sometimes when I walk my dog I let him go wherever he wants and he can stop whenever he wants.
It's interesting to watch him and he enjoys it. In his garden he walked around for 10 minutes and then he sat down and waited that something happens...
Just look at a dog when you take the leash to go outside ! He's exhausted ,jumps up and down and can wait to go !
Don't judge us, and we'll try to not judge you.

My dogs live VERY long lives. I know I'm doing something right.

Have you had a dog live 22 years? Do you have a 16 year old large breed dog that's still living?

No need to answer, just making my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,709 times
I will never understand the people who just let the dogs out in the yards, with no walks. Are people really that lazy? Put a friggin leash on your dog and walk them outside, for crying out loud!!

I have a huge backyard(0.50acre) and my dogs get walked at least three times a day.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I will never understand the people who just let the dogs out in the yards, with no walks. Are people really that lazy? Put a friggin leash on your dog and walk them outside, for crying out loud!!

I have a huge backyard(0.50acre) and my dogs get walked at least three times a day.
It depends on the dog.

Bear and Angel were babies at the same time.

They ran in our woods for hours.

We never walked them, they are find.

I am up now at 5AM to exercise Rip.

This isn't a walk.....it is a long run beside a pick-up truck.

We will go 20+ miles.....running at least 18 of it.

I want to stress him each day to go farther and faster.

Today most of the run will be in the dark......

He has to run at all times and in all kinds of weather.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,050,224 times
Whoever just gave me a reputation, I don't deserve it. I had posted I walked my dog one day 3 times, but that was it. Since then it has been once or twice a day. Lately, I am only able to get one walk in. I have no energy early am since I need my coffee and then its time to leave and he starts a whining that I am leaving. Then when I have the energy it is dark outside and mostly when we walk. He gets his exercise chasing the mailman or animals that end up in our backyard like squirrels and cats....and an occasional possum.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM

28 posts, read 48,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post

I absoltely agree !

Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM

200 posts, read 565,377 times
I have a 2 year old 70 lb German Shepherd named Zeus.

I run/jog 3-4 miles every other day in town. If we lived in town I would
take him more often, but already it is an ordeal to work in town, go 12 miles into the country, get Zeus and bring him back to town. On the off running days Zeus get's at least an hour of play time in the woods and empty catfish ponds around the house. He play's with some safe country dogs around our house.

Zeus is definitely worn out playing in the country without any restraints. But I think walking/jogging with a dog on a leash is valuable training (especially for big dogs that other's might view as aggressive, even though Zeus is definitely not aggressive). Over time, I have gained a lot more control over him even when there are distractions, like squirrels, other dogs, cats, etc. When we first started jogging/walking he darted in every direction. Now he knows to stay at my pace. Sometimes he still darts, but I give a quick "No" or "Come'on" and he gets back into pace, and just watches the distraction as we pass by. If he is really pulling me we completely stop, sit, and stay for a minute. Then we return to our pace.

That may seem a little over structured. But with a dog, I believe and owner need to have control. Especially, since he is also my lone companion and protector out in the country when my husband is away on business.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
They love to go on walks. They really do. I try to do it with them when the weather is good. Sadly, we only go about once a week. I keep resolving to do better about this.

In the mean time, we have a really large yard (sitting on half an acre) and they run and chase each other a lot. We also play a lot of frisbee - both dogs like to jump and catch the frisbee.

Both our vets say the dogs are in incredible shape. I think they see a lot of fat dogs. My neighbor walks her dogs every single day...and they are super fat.

But I don't want to walk the dogs for fitness or whatever. I want to walk them because they really seem to love it so much. Now that my knees are better, I am going to jog with the younger one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs