Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colognegirl View Post
I had this one for my dog. It's a German link I don't know if you can buy this in the USA :

Kleinmetall Fahrrad-Leinenhalter günstig bei zooplus

It's safe and easy to handle and you can buy it in Germany for $ 40.
Yes, I have seen those in the US.

We have a snow storm blowing though here in Michigan.

Had to take Rip for an early run.

He is likely done for the day.....at least I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
I've worried about bloat with all my dogs, and the way our schedule is, walks don't come right after a meal. But I don't think a walk is strenuous enough exercise to cause bloat. Running or jogging, or playing games in the yard is another story. However, I guess it would be worth checking with a vet, if a walk after a meal is part of your routine. This would be especially true with large, deep-chested dogs, who are the most prone to bloat.
FWIW, I switched my dogs to an oven-baked formula of kibble a few months ago, just because of the extruded kibble swelling in water as Bob mentioned. Brands that are oven baked include Life 4K9, Avoderm (2 of their formulas only), Evolve, Lotus, 3 Dog Bakery and Flint River Ranch. The switch has ended one of my dog's vomiting/regurgitating issues that had no cause they could find with any tests, that persisted to different degrees with several different foods I tried.

Last edited by subject2change; 02-24-2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Try putting some fleece booties on him. That may solve the problem. My pup's a cold-weather breed, but his feet freeze at -20F or colder. A $12 set of booties fixed him right up though, and he was out playing and rolling around in the snow down to -40F! They really help with traction when it's icy out, too.
Thanks for the tip! When you put the booties on, did it take him a while to get used to them? I tried putting little socks on his feet and he hated them and tried to bite and fling them off. It was hilarious but at the same time I wanted him to keep them on. Ice is annoying too - he REALLY whines at that.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,552,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
How many of you all walk your dog? If so for how long? If not why? I just got back from his 3rd walk today. Normally, I only walk him once, but I am trying to be more routine about it. I do have a fenced yard, but he seems more calm after he's walked.
I think the breed of dog has a lot to do with the walk that is required. I don't like walking outside in the winter so I made sure to get dogs that require very little to no exercise.

I work out on the treadmill and elliptical trainer and the dogs sit and watch LOL.

In the summer sometimes I take my older dog with me for a run and he'll run 6 miles no problem (18 lb Bichon/shih tzu mix).

So they are happy with no exercise and they are happy after a 6 mile run.

Now labs and retrievers I think need a lot of exercise or they'll go nuts.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,294,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Thanks for the tip! When you put the booties on, did it take him a while to get used to them? I tried putting little socks on his feet and he hated them and tried to bite and fling them off. It was hilarious but at the same time I wanted him to keep them on. Ice is annoying too - he REALLY whines at that.
Our little guy thought they were pretty stupid until he got outside and noticed that they helped his feet. He still tries to chews on them a bit, but it's well worth any hassle.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:52 PM

982 posts, read 3,488,993 times
I have a small dog and he's "paper trained" but I still take him out for walks. I used to take him for a 20-30 minute walk in the morning and another in the evening. Now he only gets his evening walk. I became a little lazy with him because he's such a well behaved dog that I don't feel the need to take him out to run/walk to burn off extra energy...but I think I'll go back to our old routine after it warms up.

Quote:
How many of you all walk your dog? If so for how long? If not why? I just got back from his 3rd walk today. Normally, I only walk him once, but I am trying to be more routine about it. I do have a fenced yard, but he seems more calm after he's walked.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM

653 posts, read 946,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Try putting some fleece booties on him. That may solve the problem. My pup's a cold-weather breed, but his feet freeze at -20F or colder. A $12 set of booties fixed him right up though, and he was out playing and rolling around in the snow down to -40F! They really help with traction when it's icy out, too.
-40*? Yikes!! Your pup is much more of a woman than I'll ever be. lol

Booties are great for summer heat on the pavement (ie. Miami - yikes that ground gets hot!) and if you've got ice melt to deal with, too. Lots of chemicals in that stuff you wouldn't want on your little one's feet, and then later when they're inside and licking, possibly in their mouth.

Before I had pups, I thought booties were a ridiculous fashion accessory. Now I get it, and love them

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 AM

581 posts, read 1,188,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Your comment about walking your dog after dinner raised a red flag for me.
Depending on the size of your dog, especially if it is a medium to large breed, you would do well to re-think when you are walking it "after a meal".
I think it is more prevalent if your dog is eating dry food, but caned food may have the same affect.
It is suggested that one wait a minimum of two hours after a meal to walk their dog, and the reason being two hours is the time considered for ample digestion of food.
Walking sooner may cause your dog to get what is known as bloat., and this is serious, and could cause death rather quickly, (within two or three hours) if not treated
There are two kinds of bloat, one being , simple bloat, a kinking of either end of the stomach (entrance or exit) and Torsion bloat which is essentially the stomach turning on it's own axis and/ or a displacement of the spleen.
Either one of these situations reduce, or cut off circulation of blood to the stomach.
At this point surgery is the only solution, and it must be done quickly.
I make it a rule to never walk my Shepherd before two hours have passed since he ate.
As a simple test, if you are feeding dry dog food, and the brand doesn't make that much difference, place a few pieces of it in a bowl of warm water.
Let it set for 15 or 20 minutes, and see what happens to it.
Most dry food will expand twice it's normal size.
This is exactly what happens when food is in your dog's warm stomach.
It expands.
There are some symptoms of bloat dog owners can recognize.
They are, swelling of the abdomen, labored breathing because the capacity of the lungs is hindered by the expanding stomach,which places more strain on the abdomen, and in all likelyhood, the dog will go into shock.
Usually the dog becomes listless, and unable to vomit.
This is written as a head's up to those of you who walk your dog soon after a meal.
Some of you perhaps already knew about bloat, and I explained it for those who are not familiar with it.
Bob.
They've both been walked, usually around 1hr post dinner for roughly 10 years and other than a torn ACL from jumping out of a window, occasional allergies, and now arthritis, we never ever once had this problem. So I know this can be an issue for some and I appreciate the info but MY dogs never had this problem. So, for me, if it ain't broke and they're done just fine, don't fix it.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,053,715 times
Quote:
I work out on the treadmill and elliptical trainer and the dogs sit and watch LOL.
I probably could teach my Yorkie to walk on a treadmill, since I've recently thought him to use a step to get into the car by himself. Now he needs no help from me to get in the car

r
Quote:
e-think when you are walking it "after a meal".
I think it is more prevalent if your dog is eating dry food, but caned food may have the same affect.
It is suggested that one wait a minimum of two hours after a meal to walk their dog, and the reason being two hours is the time considered for ample digestion of food.
Walking sooner may cause your dog to get what is known as bloat., and this is serious, and could cause death rather quickly, (within two or three hours) if not treated
There are two kinds of bloat, one being , simple bloat, a kinking of either end of the stomach (entrance or exit) and Torsion bloat which is essentially the stomach turning on it's own axis and/ or a displacement of the spleen.
I've never heard of this. Is this geared towards small or large breeds?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
I've never heard of this. Is this geared towards small or large breeds?
Mostly large breeds. Some small breeds. I wouldn't take the chance with any breed. Even people shouldn't exercise on a full stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs