Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times

Advertisements

I feel for everyone, people and animals. My kids can be challenging, so can my animals. I moved the old cats litter box up in our bedroom as that is where they mainly 'live'. I hate it, but, they use it as opposed to not using a box. You might call me insane, I talked to hubby and my mom about putting 'down' our cats, but cried so hard, I had to pull off the road. I just couldn't do it. Hubby supported any choice. He was willing to do the 'deed'. I just couldn't. My brat cats are peacefully sleeping on our bed. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
are the cats ill?? why were you considering putting them down??

Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
are the cats ill?? why were you considering putting them down??
They were peeing and pooping not in the litter box. So, I thought they might be. After my cry, we took the cats to the vet, were told they were 'stressed' from our dogs, and maybe kids, so, we got them, I'll butcher this, feramone collars, and moved the litter box to our bedroom. We'd planned to take them to the vet, but, I was just preparing myself, since my strictly indoor cats are older. The collars and litter moving have helped. They mainly live in hubby and my bedroom. Lol they are totally spoiled. They spend most of their days sleeping on our bed. Lol

Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I get it, however the average persons priorities usually flow somewhere close to:

Safety of Persons and family
Shelter
Food
Employment
Relationships w/ spouse, children, family, friends etc

More than likely, all of these are usaully intertwined with each other.

If these needs are threatnened, speaking for myself I would have to sacrifice something. And it more than likely would not be a roof over my head, food in my childrens bellies, my job, or my relationship (s) with my SO, children or family.
Seems logical to me. Without these things, I very probably would not be able to care properly for a pet anyway. With the universe's grace, I have these things, as well as a dog and a cat. I work my butt off for these things every day, and if, God forbid, something should happen to jeopardize it, I would do my best to keep my "boys". However, I know full well that the best laid plans are all subject to change, and understand where my own priorities HAVE to lie.

I can only be of benefit to others (including my animals) if I take care of myself. If my only way to obtain a stable job was to move, and if for some reason, I could not take my boys, then I would have to make a difficult choice. If the only way to have a roof over my head was to find alternative arrangements for them, then yes, I would have to make a tough choice.

This is not an idea that I take lightly by any means. However, I also understand that *if* the alternative was living in my car or re-homing my pets, that I need to look out for myself in that situation. I don't foresee any of this happening, as I would do my absolute best to prevent it, but I also know better than to spit in the face of the universe and say "this is exactly what I would do, no ifs, ands, or buts".

As I am typing this, I am on my couch, with my cat sleeping to my left, and my dog snuggled up next to me on my right. To say that I shouldn't have animals because I have certain priorities is, quite frankly, preposterous. I have had times where I have made some severe sacrifices to keep them fed. I *get* it, as much as an average person ever will. Admittedly, I have not seen some of the horrors that others have in terms of what happens to pets that can no longer be kept. However, I also believe that people who dismiss those who have similar priorities to mine are, excuse the pun, "barking up the wrong tree".

Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
big difference being planning and taking responsibility for the animals you have made a commitment to... and rehoming them.... as opposed to just dumping them in the shelter because this disaster that has been building in your life has reached its culmination and you can no longer properly care for them.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs