Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM

3,752 posts, read 12,426,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Tried to rep you but it's too soon. Thanks for the laugh!
Yea - I've been picking on Driller a bit this week. Luckily she understands its all in fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yea - I've been picking on Driller a bit this week. Luckily she understands its all in fun!
OH.....so....you ARE picking on me.......

Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
OH.....so....you ARE picking on me.......
LOL couldn't resist. The quip just popped into my head when I saythe way you phrased your comment

Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,993,793 times
Update on trying to find the dog in KS:

We had to put that on hold. I was driving home from work yesterday and was just off one of the main state highways and onto the dirt roads near home when I saw a young Boxer was walking in the road. Thankfully, having 4 dogs, I had a leash in the car and was able to corral her in. Unfortunately, she didn't have any tags. My wife and I took her to the vet to see if she had a microchip. No luck.

Big decision. Take her to a shelter? Not really a big decision. She came home with us and met our pups. They all got along very well. She loves our youngest lab, Chance! So, we called all of the nearby county shelters and the large humane society that is closest to let them know that we found her and would hold onto her until/if her owners called. We just couldn't bring her into a shelter. We made signs and put them up but we live in the middle of nowhere so there really isn't a good place to put them. We'll see. She is in really good shape, a little thin but she is a Boxer. She has good muscle definition in her shoulders. We hope she just got loose and can be reunited.

We have been hearing more and more stories of people just dumping dogs on country roads. We are in trouble since we live out there now! We'll need to add a wing to the house!

We haven't decided what we'll do if she isn't claimed. We'll see how the next week goes while we wait. She is very young and we have a lot going on with 4 dogs. Our hope was to eventually rescue another older dog. Worst case, we have a contact with a Boxer rescue and we will foster her until a forever home becomes available.

Just another crazy day in dogville!!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:21 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,487,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Unfortunately the economy has created much of the current mess. Many responsible pet owners found themselves facing homelessness with no where for the beloved pet to go. Yes there are those who "think" they want a dog and find out just how much of a commitment it is. However, I've hear way too many stories and get emails daily of someone new loosing their home and must find homes for their pets.
I can't believe people are going to use the economy as an excuse.
Would you dump your kid, too?
How about grandma and grandpa?
Pets are just as much a part of the family.
You took on responsibility for a life. For the rest of their lives.
That should mean something.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Update on trying to find the dog in KS:

We had to put that on hold. I was driving home from work yesterday and was just off one of the main state highways and onto the dirt roads near home when I saw a young Boxer was walking in the road. Thankfully, having 4 dogs, I had a leash in the car and was able to corral her in. Unfortunately, she didn't have any tags. My wife and I took her to the vet to see if she had a microchip. No luck.

Big decision. Take her to a shelter? Not really a big decision. She came home with us and met our pups. They all got along very well. She loves our youngest lab, Chance! So, we called all of the nearby county shelters and the large humane society that is closest to let them know that we found her and would hold onto her until/if her owners called. We just couldn't bring her into a shelter. We made signs and put them up but we live in the middle of nowhere so there really isn't a good place to put them. We'll see. She is in really good shape, a little thin but she is a Boxer. She has good muscle definition in her shoulders. We hope she just got loose and can be reunited.

We have been hearing more and more stories of people just dumping dogs on country roads. We are in trouble since we live out there now! We'll need to add a wing to the house!

We haven't decided what we'll do if she isn't claimed. We'll see how the next week goes while we wait. She is very young and we have a lot going on with 4 dogs. Our hope was to eventually rescue another older dog. Worst case, we have a contact with a Boxer rescue and we will foster her until a forever home becomes available.

Just another crazy day in dogville!!
Congrats on the new addition. Thats one less on the streets

Dumping has always been a problem. The idiots will never understand that for every dog that finds a home this way, 100 others die in agony from starvation, injury or are picked up and taken to a kill shelter. Here in Houston we have the infamous Corridor of Cruelty. Its where bait dogs, fight dogs and just abandoned dogs are dumped. I'd post a link but it would only give you nightmares. Go ahead and google it if you have a strong stomach.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,712,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I can't believe people are going to use the economy as an excuse.
Would you dump your kid, too?
How about grandma and grandpa?
Pets are just as much a part of the family.
You took on responsibility for a life. For the rest of their lives.
That should mean something.
Pets are property. They are nothing but a toaster, television set, or a stapler. This is how the bulk of americans want it and understand it. because the animal welfare industry itself refuses to accept anything but pets as property, they have legitimized the belief that dumping a pet at a shelter is the correct thing to do. Maybe instead of dealing with the individuals and their indiviudal reasons, we need to change the underlying thinking that for the most part, everyone wants pets to be property and not anything higher. I have had this dicussion with many a people and no matter how much they are horrfied at how pets are simply treated as a used radio, in the end, they always end up agreeing that they want the pet to be property.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Pets are property. They are nothing but a toaster, television set, or a stapler. This is how the bulk of americans want it and understand it. because the animal welfare industry itself refuses to accept anything but pets as property, they have legitimized the belief that dumping a pet at a shelter is the correct thing to do. Maybe instead of dealing with the individuals and their indiviudal reasons, we need to change the underlying thinking that for the most part, everyone wants pets to be property and not anything higher. I have had this dicussion with many a people and no matter how much they are horrfied at how pets are simply treated as a used radio, in the end, they always end up agreeing that they want the pet to be property.
You are definately speaking with the wrong people. Yes - pets are LEGALLY CLASSIFIED as a possession. However, a toaster doesn't scream or bleed or play or love. A pet does. We've had this discussion before. Although I will conceed that in legal matters they are classified as a possession, in moral matters they are anything but that. Also, if you hadn't noticed...legislation is finally being passed that is changing the requirements for pet care. (i.e. humane animal laws, Puppy Mill legislation and commercial breeder responsibilities) That thankfully is starting to make the changes that are needed.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 03-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: forgot to format

Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,712,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
You are definately speaking with the wrong people. Yes - pets are LEGALLY CLASSIFIED as a possession. However, a toaster doesn't scream or bleed or play or love. A pet does. We've had this discussion before. Although I conceed that in legal matters they are classified as possession, in moral matters they are anything but that. Also, if you hadn't noticed...legislation is finally being passed that is changing the requirements for pet care. (i.e. humane animal laws, Puppy Mill legislation and commercial breeder responsibilities) That thankfully is starting to make the changes that are needed.
Your talking about the pets sensient claims which is not the same as how we hold that being.

There is no doubt we all (or at least any rational sensible person) will accept and treat pets as sensient, but that is where the so called "moral" lines really end. If people removed the "Property" lbel, there could be no more commerical breeding or any breeding except in a natural way. Do you really think breeders (regardless of what we call them) would agree to that? Noway and they wil fight you tooth and nail for the property label to remain.

If the propety label was removed, each one of us would have to adhere to a strict set of care guidleines that can force us to care for pets way outside of what anyone will ever agree to. Sure individual pet owners will agree with some or most of it, butt hey will never allow anything or any label to be attached to their pet that can make them care for an animal beyond what they feel s apropriate. And if they fail in that care, (even refusing to give vaccinations cause they belive them harmful) they can be charged. However as property, you as owner can make that decisssion withiut fear of the pet being taken away by Pet Protective Services.

If they were not property, it would be illegal to capture any stray and hold as your own. No more TNR since you would not have the legal right to capture a free animal. This is a key issue where many have found the truth about the difference between sensient in discussions and property.

let's not even discuss the ramifications should you legitimately be unable to care for the pet. Does the state take control and find a foster? You can;t just willy nilly give it away or pick a foster or rescue because the pet in no longer property where you and you alone have the right to pass on.

When you strip away the politically insensitve meanings or connotations attached to the phrase "Property", the reality is, people want their pet to be property because they already treat it and care for it as primarily property.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Your talking about the pets sensient claims which is not the same as how we hold that being.

There is no doubt we all (or at least any rational sensible person) will accept and treat pets as sensient, but that is where the so called "moral" lines really end. If people removed the "Property" lbel, there could be no more commerical breeding or any breeding except in a natural way. Do you really think breeders (regardless of what we call them) would agree to that? Noway and they wil fight you tooth and nail for the property label to remain.

If the propety label was removed, each one of us would have to adhere to a strict set of care guidleines that can force us to care for pets way outside of what anyone will ever agree to. Sure individual pet owners will agree with some or most of it, butt hey will never allow anything or any label to be attached to their pet that can make them care for an animal beyond what they feel s apropriate. And if they fail in that care, (even refusing to give vaccinations cause they belive them harmful) they can be charged. However as property, you as owner can make that decisssion withiut fear of the pet being taken away by Pet Protective Services.

If they were not property, it would be illegal to capture any stray and hold as your own. No more TNR since you would not have the legal right to capture a free animal. This is a key issue where many have found the truth about the difference between sensient in discussions and property.

let's not even discuss the ramifications should you legitimately be unable to care for the pet. Does the state take control and find a foster? You can;t just willy nilly give it away or pick a foster or rescue because the pet in no longer property where you and you alone have the right to pass on.

When you strip away the politically insensitve meanings or connotations attached to the phrase "Property", the reality is, people want their pet to be property because they already treat it and care for it as primarily property.
You are speaking in extremes. We classify and require specific care and control of assets all the time. HOAs tell us how we have to care for our real estate. The local and state government requires us to have insurance for our automobiles. You can have humane laws for pet care without relinquishing the right to own them. I'm not a PETA activist that wants all animals set free. I'm a humanist that thinks all animals have the right to not be tortured or abused and feel that there should be consequenses for people that abuse and mistreat animals in their care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs