Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,510,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Welcome to the world of ridiculous. I also adopt from rescues but they have gone nutzoid. I was looking for a smooth hair terrier. Not only did I find the perfect dog but he had the perfect name which was Kosher, being Jewish I said now that is perfect even though I don't keep Kosher. I called the rescue which was located in Georgia and I had to have a home inspection. I informed them I lived in Connecticut and they said we don't allow out of state adoptions. I have never been so insulted in my life. At that time I just had to put one of cats to sleep after I spent an obscene amount of money to try and save her life. I'm talking double digits before the comma. I have excellent vet references to say the least and one from a very famous animal hospital in New York City. Quite frankly I don't believe these rescues are really looking out for their clients. I see the object as finding them a good home with people that will love and take care of them forever. I'm beginning to think they are all animal hoarders as I don't see how some of these questions are relevant.
How is it insulting that a rescue in Georgia won't adopt to a family in Connecticut? That has nothing to do with you. It just has to do with the practical problem of placing a pet several states away. It can be a logistical nightmare to do long distance adoptions. What if something goes wrong and the adopter don't want to keep the dog? Getting a dog back across town is no big deal but if he's four states away it can be very hard to do. And adoptions fall through all the time.
A few years ago I was with another rescue and was fostering a black Lab mix that because she was a big black dog was hard to place. We finally found a family four hours away and I drove her up there myself. They seemed great and were super happy to adopt the dog. But it didn't work out. It turns out that they kept comparing the dog to the dog they had just lost who was very different from their new dog. The dog, Angel, sensed their disappointment and started peeing on their rug and chewed up a tennis shoe. After about a month I got an email from them telling me that they wanted to return her. I wasn't able to drive and get her so I asked them to wait until I could arrange a transport and they agreed. But four days later I got another email saying that I had to get her within two days or they were taking her to the pound. We really had to scramble to get Angel back and during those few days I was really afraid for Angel's welfare. They had started crating her without crate training her first she she tried to break out and really hurt herself in the process. She was also a notorious escape artist and I was afraid that they wouldn't care to go after her if she would try to run again. Imagine if we were in Georgia and the family were in Connecticut in a situation like this? It would have been a bigger nightmare.

Not all adoptions are cut and dry. The dog or cat doesn't always get adopted and live happily ever after. Sometimes there are problems and the adopters need help after the adoption to keep the dog in the home. With my old rescue we had to go out to adopters several times and help with training and behavioral issues. Rescues knows this happens and that's why many don't adopt long distance. I'm sure that the rescue in Georgia would have been thrilled to adopt to you if you lived closer but sending a dog far away is a big risk. It's especially hard for small rescues with tight budgets and few volunteers.
Many rescues also do home visits before an adoption is approved to make sure that the pet is not being adopted by a hoarder with a good story or someone else who doesn't take good care of the pets. If you're far away doing a home visit is not possible.

So please don't be offended that you were denied by an out of state rescue. There are usually good reasons why rescues do what they do. You also have to keep in mind that we are not here to provide a service to the public. We are here to help animals. We definitely want to get our pets adopted. I'm thrilled whenever I get an email about one of my fosters and it's great to see them go to their new homes. Since we're one of a few cat rescues that take non-pure bred cats we are inundated by emails from county pounds who want to get their death row cats rescued. It just kills me to see the pictures of these sweet little guys sitting their in their cages looking terrified, knowing that in a few days those cats are going to be killed. I want to take all of them but if we don't have space we can't take any. And space only opens up when one of our cats is adopted. So we have a huge incentive to get our cats adopted. We are not at all hoarders that don't want to let them go. Actually I want all our cats to go, fast. The faster they go the faster we can save other cats and we're in this to save cats. But I want our cats to go to good, permanent homes and we have to ask questions and have rules to make sure that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,389,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
How is it insulting that a rescue in Georgia won't adopt to a family in Connecticut? That has nothing to do with you. It just has to do with the practical problem of placing a pet several states away. It can be a logistical nightmare to do long distance adoptions. What if something goes wrong and the adopter don't want to keep the dog? Getting a dog back across town is no big deal but if he's four states away it can be very hard to do. And adoptions fall through all the time.
A few years ago I was with another rescue and was fostering a black Lab mix that because she was a big black dog was hard to place. We finally found a family four hours away and I drove her up there myself. They seemed great and were super happy to adopt the dog. But it didn't work out. It turns out that they kept comparing the dog to the dog they had just lost who was very different from their new dog. The dog, Angel, sensed their disappointment and started peeing on their rug and chewed up a tennis shoe. After about a month I got an email from them telling me that they wanted to return her. I wasn't able to drive and get her so I asked them to wait until I could arrange a transport and they agreed. But four days later I got another email saying that I had to get her within two days or they were taking her to the pound. We really had to scramble to get Angel back and during those few days I was really afraid for Angel's welfare. They had started crating her without crate training her first she she tried to break out and really hurt herself in the process. She was also a notorious escape artist and I was afraid that they wouldn't care to go after her if she would try to run again. Imagine if we were in Georgia and the family were in Connecticut in a situation like this? It would have been a bigger nightmare.

Not all adoptions are cut and dry. The dog or cat doesn't always get adopted and live happily ever after. Sometimes there are problems and the adopters need help after the adoption to keep the dog in the home. With my old rescue we had to go out to adopters several times and help with training and behavioral issues. Rescues knows this happens and that's why many don't adopt long distance. I'm sure that the rescue in Georgia would have been thrilled to adopt to you if you lived closer but sending a dog far away is a big risk. It's especially hard for small rescues with tight budgets and few volunteers.
Many rescues also do home visits before an adoption is approved to make sure that the pet is not being adopted by a hoarder with a good story or someone else who doesn't take good care of the pets. If you're far away doing a home visit is not possible.

So please don't be offended that you were denied by an out of state rescue. There are usually good reasons why rescues do what they do. You also have to keep in mind that we are not here to provide a service to the public. We are here to help animals. We definitely want to get our pets adopted. I'm thrilled whenever I get an email about one of my fosters and it's great to see them go to their new homes. Since we're one of a few cat rescues that take non-pure bred cats we are inundated by emails from county pounds who want to get their death row cats rescued. It just kills me to see the pictures of these sweet little guys sitting their in their cages looking terrified, knowing that in a few days those cats are going to be killed. I want to take all of them but if we don't have space we can't take any. And space only opens up when one of our cats is adopted. So we have a huge incentive to get our cats adopted. We are not at all hoarders that don't want to let them go. Actually I want all our cats to go, fast. The faster they go the faster we can save other cats and we're in this to save cats. But I want our cats to go to good, permanent homes and we have to ask questions and have rules to make sure that happens.
Keep checking.....

Twice I caught hound trainers getting free cats and using them to train hounds.

I would have reported it but, I had no proof.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,470,091 times
I am going to tell you a true bad sad story of rescue adoption center, we use to go into when my daughbter was much younger in O.C. calif.

Husband and wife owned this business. Infact we adopted a adorable pom from there, he died in Dec, and yes we were hearbroken.

However you just never know who you are truly dealing with. The husband seemed like such an adorable man, sincere, caring, loving to his wife. boy were we wrong about him.

We found out around 3 years later, this wonderful person whom we adopted our pom from, murdered his wife. I was horrifed as was my daughter. Never in a million years we saw that coming, i could not believe it, still to this day, i cannot believe the once caring, compassionate man, killed his wife, she was so sweet too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs