Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,782,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You just go. Otherwise you're going to have an unhappy, bored dog... and a house full of pee and poop.
You could also end up with broken legs. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM

3,752 posts, read 12,426,452 times
You have never seen a more miserible sight than my DH huddled down wearing a slicker..... out in the pouring rain..... watching one dog sniffing on the right and another one sniffing on the left. All the while...Gator and I are stolling contently along under the oversized umbrella!

There are benefits to being the one that walks the "old" dog. I have a free hand for an umbrella!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You could also end up with broken legs. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

SNORT!!!! True.

I was assuming that the OP didn't have a fenced yard. Ironically, I did have a fenced yard when I broke my leg, I was just stubborn and wanted to walk Artie like I was a mailman "in snow and sleet and rain and hail." I'm not quite that fearless (read: stupid) now, especially with a house on a hill.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,624,765 times
My dog hates to go out in bad weather. She runs back inside and will hold it way past when it seems she should hold it. This is kind of good but sometimes I really need her to go! Eventually she had to go out because she won't go inside (good dog!). But she doesn't want to linger.

I used to have her in a flyball class, so one thing I do in really bad weather that lasts is have her jump over a hurdle inside, lol. I take a broomstick, lay it across some books, and throw treats over the broomstick. She gets tired out very quickly running back and forth! Plus she loves the game. Now with her joint problems I'm hesitant to do it, so we have to find another way. Fortunately I live in the south and it's not usual that the bad weather will last all day.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
It's actually pretty funny because, of course, Artie and I used to walk in any kind of weather. Nothing bothered him. He didn't love when the rain was very heavy -- he'd get his eyes all squinty to ward it off -- but he didn't really mind it because we'd walk with his friends.

But yesterday was funny. We don't walk often but we're out in the yard all the time. Last night, there was a freak downpour. Artie had no idea, but of course I'd heard it beating against the windows. I wanted to let him out, though, so I opened the door and, as usual, he sprinted out. He got to the middle of the yard, realized that it was POURING, did an about-face, raced back to me and through the door. Then he ventured back out, peed under the deck (so he wouldn't get rained on -- smart boy), came back in, and lay down.

I think he's getting grumpy in his old age. (That's OK, so am I.)

Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,895,079 times
as others have said...if YOU are unwillign to go out in inclament weather, dont get a high energy breed that will need it.

youve got a few choices, go for an older adult dog whos quite content with a 5 min potty break and spendinding the rest of the day getting lots of luvings on the couch when the weathers bad.

get a low energy toy breed...a 4lb chihuahua can eaisly be litterbox trained and can get plenty of excersize on a SHORT TERM basis playing fetch along a long hallway or running around the house!
keep in mind though that not all toy breeds are LOW energy, a yorkie, papillion, minpin, manchester, silky or rat terrier is NOT going to be happy stuck in the house for more than a few hours, despite their small size, they are high energy.

get a LOW energy breed in general...dont just assume smaller is better, some of the most energetic dogs ive ever met are small (think jack russels) a retired greyhound for example can be a perfect choice, being sprinters their daily excersize needs are relitivly low compared to dogs of similar size and they often tend to be "weather freeks" (dont like to get their paws wet or get cold ect) so are more likely to be content laying by the fire in the winter or holding the couch down on rainy days rather than get out there and walk...

i have 3 dogs.
all 3 are hgh energy
i have a fenced yard and a covered car port.
when it rains, my female small dog is a "hell no" kinda gal, rain makes her melt, so shes content to stay home...i probbaly couldnt even drag her on a walk in the rain. shes generally "quiet" in the house so even if she misses her run around time...shes very mellow

my male small dog...hes not as anti rain as my female, but hes more than content to run out, pee run back but on those days i have to spend an extra 1/2 an hour here and there playing tug or fetch in the house...small breed (6lbs) = he can easily excersize indoors...though not ideal

my BIG boy is a 6 month old 55lb puppy..hes high enegy and NOT phased by the weather at all, and if i didnt have a fenced yard it would be my job as his human to don the rain slicker and botos and take him out in a torrential downpour if thats what he needs...by taking on a high energy dog who NEEDS that excersize thats what YOU have to accept, that even in cinlament weather its your job to make sure the dog is properly excersized. this could be as simple as training your dog to walk on a treadmill...but for most this means pulling up the big girl panties and getting your tush out there.

dont want to...
dont get a dog that NEEDS it.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times
What they eat also makes a difference.

Our hounds are fed a very high energy dog food.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,427,876 times
Depends on you and the dog. My dog doesn't like rain but he'll go out just fine. He loves snow however. Just watch for signs of discomfort if you see any.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,717,997 times
What climate makes walking outside impossible?

Do you live on a flood plain? That could be a problem, I guess.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
The dog is walked daily every morning and every day after work for a good hour regardless of weather in most cases. The only time I have skipped the walk is during an ice storm when he could have pulled me over on the ice, gotten away, and I wouldn't have been able to get him back.

We don't do the "crap in the yard" thing. Walk time is poop time. He's a hound, he's high energy, exercise is mandatory for his health and happiness. He's not the sort of dog who runs out to poop and then wants back in to curl up and chill. He longs to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs