Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
id be putting up signs and little boxes along the road
"if your planning on dumping your dog please leave money in the boxes so we can feed them!"

brilliant!!

might also want to add something about video cameras set up along the roadway to record license plate numbers..... whether true or not....

pretty little girl and so happy that the breed rescue is able to help her......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,983 times
This happens to us occasionally, dumped dogs. People around here know that we are suckers. Have had to put down 2 that didn't make it with our pack and nobody else to take either of them. Really uncool, but at least we know we did right by the animals as they wouldn't have been adopted with their aggression issues. So, we try but they keep coming and sometimes we're able to get a home for them before they get vetted!

Sad face inserted here (if I knew how), sometimes we can't get them a new home.

We only have one shelter here, a kill shelter.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM

25,839 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Ok so this is the 4th dog dumped on our dirt road in a month and 1/2.

This dog took me 3 days to catch and is the 3rd purebred dog to be dumped.

The first was a 6-7 month old Border Collie (no surprise there) the next was a toy poodle and one was a muttly and now we have....a Silky Terrier:

I've named her biscuit, she's hanging around the house, I've built an outdoor kennel under my carport/barn for her. She's already coming when called and stays right with me when we go to the fenced area.

I've been on the phone with the breed rescue and now it's just getting everything coordinated to get her gone. She's such a great dog it makes me sick that someone dumped her. This morning she now has enough groceries in her to feel herself and I actually got some zoomies going and I threw a tennis ball that she chased, pounced on and growled at (killed) and then zoomed off again...LOL.

Now I'm trying to coordinate getting her to the vet...sigh, the rescue will pay for everything but my work schedule is a problem.

I also have to have her "man" tested...LOL so after many phone calls I've found a man to come over and see how she does (I guess they're good for something ). The rescue group already has someone who wants her - its a retired guy who lost his wife last year and has an older Silky.

I'll tell yah if I had the money she wouldn't be going anywhere she is a GREAT dog.

My other neighbor and I are working on the kennel and will use it in the future for the other dumped dogs, so we'll have a place to put them. It's about 8x5' and under cover but gets plenty of air/shade etc. and will be used I'm sure again...don't know why I didn't think of this before...LOL
I feel your pain. Im tired of dogs dumping in my road.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Craigslist is so full of unscrupulous people (hmmmmm....unscrupulous, sounds like the people who drop dogs off) You just really cannot be too sure exactly who is coming to take Fido "home".

People who need to give away their pets for whatever valid reason they think they can find - and there are times it is valid, we won't get into that - they need to use the same techniques a rescue would use. Call a previous vet. Check out the future neighborhood if they can. Check for public arrest records. The internet is an awesome place and just full of information. If the story and the info don't match up, the dog needs to stay right where it is.

Unfortunately, people who decide to rid themselves of the unwanted burden of a pet decide it must be done now, today (and that happens to rescues, too - "come get this dog TODAY"), and they take the crappy way out. Or their pet is so ill-behaved you couldn't give it away with a $100 bill tied around it's neck.

OP, I am so sorry you have to deal with this, and on such a regular basis - but thank goodness there are those who will open up their heart and home and stay the course until something can be worked out that is in the dog's best interests. Good luck - I surely wish it didn't have to be this way, but in some ways we humans haven't evolved much.....

Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM

18,704 posts, read 33,369,579 times
As sad as it is to have to put a rescued dog down for lack of home or other issues, at least the dog is no longer being abused/neglected/suffering on the street.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Ok so this is the 4th dog dumped on our dirt road in a month and 1/2.

This dog took me 3 days to catch and is the 3rd purebred dog to be dumped.

The first was a 6-7 month old Border Collie (no surprise there) the next was a toy poodle and one was a muttly and now we have....a Silky Terrier:
Over what period of time has this been occuring?
Are they normally purebreed or purebreed appearing?
What is the age range?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM

you're thinking mill or byb dumps, aren'tcha PF?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Yep!, The penalty for dumping an animal is so much less than an illegal killing that some have started dumping versus euthanizing the unwanteds. May also be (god i hope not) a rescue that just got in over their head. But age, pedegree, and timing are always key things to give an indication of what may be happening.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM

yup .... being in Missouri, I am all too familiar with mill dumps.....

Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Over what period of time has this been occuring?
Are they normally purebreed or purebreed appearing?
What is the age range?

Let's see...I said in the last month and 1/2
I wouldn't say purebred if they weren't
Ummmm...I said 6-7 months for the BC
The current one is aged by the vet as 2ish.

Not sure of the point of these questions though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs