Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:24 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,793,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I asked this very question a couple of years ago......

see post #22 in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...og-poop-3.html

quite a lively discussion ensued.....
I thought about that thread also. Yes, quite lively. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
^^I read the old thread, and it got me thinking- this is a poop thread and Dawn hasn't posted one time!!! How times have changed!
Call out the marines...where is D????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
More

BTY.....so that I stay on topic. I also have the little container hooked on the leash with the pretty blue poo poo bags. I always pick up after Miss Bella. She would be soooo embarrest if her Momma didn't do that. I mean really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM

9,347 posts, read 20,097,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

yeah ... what Double D said!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I thought about that thread also. Yes, quite lively. LOL

Call out the marines...where is D????

More

BTY.....so that I stay on topic. I also have the little container hooked on the leash with the pretty blue poo poo bags. I always pick up after Miss Bella. She would be soooo embarrest if her Momma didn't do that. I mean really.
i always have a minimum of 2 bags per dog in my pocket when we go out....

Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM

29,003 posts, read 30,445,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Why is it that some people dont follow the laws and dont pick up after their dog ? Everytime i go walk my dogs i see **** all over the sidewalk and i have to keep pulling my dogs away so they dont step on it. Does it happen to you as well ?
yes, and this is one of my pet peeves, along with not keeping your dog on a short leash when at the vets.
Honestly, some people shouldn't have dogs.
When I go to the vets or the groomers, someone has left they're dog deficate and hasn't cleaned it up...how utterly disgusting.
A trip to the vets is a horror show for me, my dog was beat badly and is so afraid to begin with, then everyone comes in with those freakin retractable leashes, and allows they're dogs to walk all over the place, and even up to my dog????? OK, I'm at the vets, so it's either a check up or he's sick....and maybe, just maybe, it's contageous? I swear people should have to take a test to be a pet owner.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL I guess it was about 2 years ago now that I was accused of "terroristic threats" because I chased a woman who had just let her dog poop on our lawn again We have continually had 3 or more dogs for years now. We never leave the house with them without having cleanup bags either in a pocket or in my purse. We buy the florescent bio-degradable bags so everyone knows we are picking up as we walk along.

Not to pick on people that love small breeds but at least from my experience they are the worst offenders. I guess they justify it by thinking "its such a small mess, no one will notice." Well yeh - I DO notice it when I have to hose if off my shoes!
whoa, hold on there Jack...I have a Bichon, and never ever, do I allow him to poop anywhere where I don't clean it up...I'm a real stickler for that...so don't generalize, because we're not all douch bags. Matter of fact, I thought I had bags in the car...but forgot I ran out...so when my dog did his business and I had no bag, I went to a strangers home, knocked on the door and explained the situation and asked if they had a bag....Hello?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM

275 posts, read 1,765,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I don't pick up after my dog because I have a 9lb Maltese, that when he does go to the bathroom it is usually in an area with bushes, landscaping and or grass and it is about the size of a a few marbles - and it is naturally bio-degradable and/or small insects and flies find it and begin feeding off of whatever nutrients they think it might contain.
We have a 10 lb. Maltese and always pick up after him. We have bags attached to the leash. Picking up after a small dog is so easy I really can't understand why you dont 't do it.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM

I suppose the older you get the more out spoken you become, but me, I'm going to start calling people on this. If I see someone allowing they're dog to poop and they don't clean it up, I don't care if I'm in the car, I'm going to pull over and tell them so...and how irresponsible they are...maybe if you embarrass them, people will start to become more considerate of others...yanno, but maybe it's a little bit our fault for allowing them to get away with it, and not answering for it in the least?

I think if people stuck together and did this, it would change?

Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,013,293 times
Default Yes, but...

Well, growing up out in the country, my grandparents lived "up the lane" from us, and our dog would go on those two properties, and that was it. She was our dog, but my grandparents loved her to pieces, and in many ways, considered her a part of their family too. This was also outside of a small town, but out in the country, things are just different. Our dog pooed in the fields/our yard. Since I was pretty young, as was my sister, our dad would pick up the poo in the yard, and call it a day. So I understood at a young age, the dog goes in the yard, and you throw it in the field.

Now I live in a city, and obviously the laws are a lot different. I do my best, but sometimes I forget. It's not that I don't want to, it's not that don't know I need to, it's just an adjustment thing. So, let the "hand smacks" come, but I try, and even when I do forget, I try to go back and find it. But if it's in the morning, I wake up at 4:30ish, it's still dark, our area is not well lit, and it is difficult to find. Not everyone does it just to spite people, and laugh when they step in it, sometimes, you just forget.

Now.....the repeat offenders, yea, it gets old. But before we start yelling out of car windows (as a saw in an earlier post), and pointing out people's infractions in public, remember, not everyone has lived in a city their entire life, and sometimes we don't always remember, but maybe we are trying and you caught us the one or two times a month we forget a bag. (That's about what it is for me.)

Let us not throw stones in our glass houses...everyone has flaws, and I certainly wouldn't want to purposely try to humiliate anyone in public because they made a mistake. You certainly aren't perfect either. Perhaps you never miss a poop, but I'm pretty sure you make other mistakes.

NOTE: The above paragraph was not directed at/to any specific poster, just a general comment because I sometimes become frustrated with those who think they do no wrong. I just happened to read a post about calling people out (which if done politely I see no harm in) a simple, "Hey, could you pick that up? Do you need a bag? I have an extra." would suffice. I just am not a fan of that and wished to address it. No harm intended!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,833,539 times
People are pretty good, here. It's an established, close-knit neighborhood where neighbors know one another, and many of us walk our dogs on leashes around the same few block radius regularly. The only time I really see poop is if somebody's dog has gotten loose.

I have bag clips on my leashes, so there is always a bag at hand. I do wish that we had more street-level trash bins in residential areas (or, say, any at all), so I didn't always have to walk all the way home with a sack of poo, but it is what it is. If I walk my dog to the downtown area, there are street-level trash bins there.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I don't pick up after my dog because I have a 9lb Maltese, that when he does go to the bathroom it is usually in an area with bushes, landscaping and or grass and it is about the size of a a few marbles - and it is naturally bio-degradable and/or small insects and flies find it and begin feeding off of whatever nutrients they think it might contain.
You are so wrong and so disrespectful of the property of others. Suppose someone is weeding and sticks they're hands in it...? What an attitude and a perfect example of someone who should not have a dog....

Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 PM

414 posts, read 1,013,293 times
Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
People are pretty good, here. It's an established, close-knit neighborhood where neighbors know one another, and many of us walk our dogs on leashes around the same few block radius regularly. The only time I really see poop is if somebody's dog has gotten loose.

I have bag clips on my leashes, so there is always a bag at hand. I do wish that we had more street-level trash bins in residential areas (or, say, any at all), so I didn't always have to walk all the way home with a sack of poo, but it is what it is. If I walk my dog to the downtown area, there are street-level trash bins there.
I LOVE that we have these here. They actually have special "poop" bins that are lined and emptied regularly, and are only for dog poo. It's great not to have to carry it on your entire walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs