Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,963,380 times

Advertisements

All dogs need exercise. And it doesn't hurt the owners any either. I have a woman who has rescued three greyhounds. She crosses the street when she sees me. She thinks because she rescued these dogs, she doesn't have to obey the rules. She picks it up if she sees anyone around but unobserved, she'll pass it by. One morning I watched from inside and when I saw her start to walk away, I flew out the door and told her what a cretin she was. She still does it, but no longer in my yard.

I asked one man for his address so I could bring my grandchildren over to pee on his bushes. He no longer walks his dog on my street.

May I suggest that if you spend a few minutes in your yard with the pup before you start your stroll, he might take the opportunity to drop his diamonds there, and will be less likely to squat on someone else's lawn.
Barring that, at least guide the dog to the curb where it will be easier to pick up the deposit.

(I do love me a good dog-poop thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
May I suggest that if you spend a few minutes in your yard with the pup before you start your stroll, he might take the opportunity to drop his diamonds there, and will be less likely to squat on someone else's lawn.
Barring that, at least guide the dog to the curb where it will be easier to pick up the deposit.

(I do love me a good dog-poop thread)
We do that.. Chevy goes potty in the same spot and then picks out a new place in the back yard for doo doo.. Then we can go "bike ride" - works well most of the time but she recently set the Guiness Record for running/deficating at 10.4 miles per hour.. I would have picked it up but it was too loose and I was laughing too hard..
She also goes potty before we play in the front yard.. IF she needs to doo doo she will take the ball and go to the back yard ... sometimes she forgets to bring the ball and I have to say "go get the ball" She then realizes she left it and hauls arse to the back and brings the ball back to continue play...

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,740 times
It annoys me as well, I pick up poop not only on walk but also in the yard as well. I'd like to be able to walk freely through the grass without the worries of landmines.

Unbelievable nerve of some people just because your dog has "small poops" does not excuse your duties for being a responsible pet owner. Crazy.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 PM

53 posts, read 81,507 times
So irritating. I live in an apartment complex with my two pups. There are 20 units in my building alone, and we are not the only ones with dogs. Yet any time there is poo out in front on the grass, we get blamed. My husband and I are the types also that if we run out of bags, we will come back with a bag to pick it up.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,048,053 times
During my afternoon break at work I often walk or run in a nice city neighborhood park. There are 3 big soccer fields and walking paths surrounding them. People often walk or run dogs there. There are bags and trash cans provided for the dog owners to clean up after their pets. Some do and some don't.

I was running there a couple of days ago and ahead of me a woman with her son had a big lab that was taking a monster dump beside the walking path. When the dog was done they walked off without a backwards glance. I felt like saying something to them. There were children playing running around barefoot in the soccer field.

My friend did a college class project for her GPS mapping class at this park of all the locations of dog poop that she could find. (Strange, I know, but she got an A!) She said there was A LOT!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 AM

28,954 posts, read 30,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
During my afternoon break at work I often walk or run in a nice city neighborhood park. There are 3 big soccer fields and walking paths surrounding them. People often walk or run dogs there. There are bags and trash cans provided for the dog owners to clean up after their pets. Some do and some don't.

I was running there a couple of days ago and ahead of me a woman with her son had a big lab that was taking a monster dump beside the walking path. When the dog was done they walked off without a backwards glance. I felt like saying something to them. There were children playing running around barefoot in the soccer field.

My friend did a college class project for her GPS mapping class at this park of all the locations of dog poop that she could find. (Strange, I know, but she got an A!) She said there was A LOT!
See, that is what I mean, we have to start saying something to these people, let them know, it's not ok to do that. Tell them there is a $100.00 fine.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
I LOVE that we have these here. They actually have special "poop" bins that are lined and emptied regularly, and are only for dog poo. It's great not to have to carry it on your entire walk.
I wish we had these. We have them at our dog parks, but not just out and about in residential neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,819,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Why is it that some people dont follow the laws and dont pick up after their dog ? Everytime i go walk my dogs i see **** all over the sidewalk and i have to keep pulling my dogs away so they dont step on it. Does it happen to you as well ?
No. Folks in my 'hood pick up after their dogs. Wish the cat owners would do the same.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
Well, growing up out in the country, my grandparents lived "up the lane" from us, and our dog would go on those two properties, and that was it. She was our dog, but my grandparents loved her to pieces, and in many ways, considered her a part of their family too. This was also outside of a small town, but out in the country, things are just different. Our dog pooed in the fields/our yard. Since I was pretty young, as was my sister, our dad would pick up the poo in the yard, and call it a day. So I understood at a young age, the dog goes in the yard, and you throw it in the field.
This is exactly my same experience in my very similar upbringing. Freely roaming farm dogs, like crated dogs, like to keep their homes clean. This meant that our dogs would poop along the property line, or go in the fields that surrounded the yard, rather than the yard. Our yard alone was three acres, so even if there was a pile of poop somewhere on it, which was uncommon, there was a lot of yard...you weren't likely to find it. There was a lot of space. On a working farm, you may be dealing with pig poop, cow poop, chicken poop, etc. on a daily basis, people tend to be fairly nonalarmist about excrement - between farm animals and wildlife, it's part of rural life.

That said, when I next became an adult owner, I was living in a suburb with close neighbors, and my property edges up on residentially developed land, unlike when I was growing up. I have to say, the change in norms due to setting was immediately obvious; there was no learning curve. When you're sharing space with other people, you do your part to pick up when leaving a mess would affect others.

I don't really ever forget a bag. Sometimes, people run out of bags. Been there. If I see that I'm out, I forego the leashed walk, and instead just have him go in the yard, and clean it up later when I have a bag. That way, if I can't find it later when I go back, I'm the only one inconvenienced by it.

I do feel badly the once in a while that there is a loose stool issue. I will pick up what I can, but I'm not gonna get too broken up over any residue that gets left behind when it's limited in it's "pick-up-able" ness. There's only so much you can do, and grass has plenty of excrement residue left it in, anyhow, by birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
This is a real pet peeve of mine, dog poop and cig butts. Anyway, so many things like worms get passed on because of careless pet owners. Not to mention the burn marks and dead spots. After one day dragging some into my house caused me to have to clean my carpets I started to watch to see who it was. I finally caught em on camera. There were 3 idiots letting there dogs poop on my front lawn plus my two neighbor's lawns. The first lady simply started to pick it up and I thanked her. One guy went all tough guy on me and we got into a shoving match of which I got the better of. After that the moron switched routes, probably torturing some other poor sucker. The last one was a bit easier to talk to but she still kept doing it until I started to chuck it on her car and jammed some under the latch of her door. I swear if she hadn't stopped then I was going to pump out my RV on the step of her house.

These weren't the one time I forgot people, these stooges would sneak out of the house in the dark so no one would catch them do their dirty work to the neighbors. The one thing that they had in common, renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs