Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's like $110. It's been a few years since I've gotten the test. Of course, price varies by region.
That $175 NC State test I linked to includes lyme. That is a great deal right now-particularly since it includes species more common in the south. Of course I think most vets can do the SNAP 4 DX in house and are quite cheap. NC State charges $20 for a snap 4

There is a little map on the document showing tick species and geographic distribution. Though non-tick issues have not been ruled out by a long shot! But the first thing the dog ER did when my dog went lame (we think it was disc compression issue) was x-rays, a test for a genetic disease for my breed, and a tick panel.

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources...ence-guide.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
That $175 NC State test I linked to includes lyme. That is a great deal right now-particularly since it includes species more common in the south. Of course I think most vets can do the SNAP 4 DX in house and are quite cheap. NC State charges $20 for a snap 4

There is a little map on the document showing tick species and geographic distribution. Though non-tick issues have not been ruled out by a long shot! But the first thing the dog ER did when my dog went lame (we think it was disc compression issue) was x-rays, a test for a genetic disease for my breed, and a tick panel.

http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources...ence-guide.pdf
I don't think this is correct in whole. One must pay for initial intake exam as well as other cost before the test is offered. In the long run, it can run a lot more.

If the test administered and then referred from another doctor and sent into the NCSU-VTH the referring vet is charged and that is passed on to the client.

If the patient is referred, then the cost goes up significantly.

In any event, in regard to the OP, I think it may very well be related to a muscular problem BUT one can spend loads of money trying to narrow it down. At this point, it would be my suggestion, that the dog is put in "time out" (as we called it) and give it a few more days unless something significant happens in the next few days.

Regards,

second right

ETA: It appears NCSU-VTH is conducting a study (they call it gauge interest). From my personal experience, I believe it is a grant which can be good and then sometimes not so good.

Last edited by second right; 12-30-2012 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM

82 posts, read 302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you live in an area with snow? My dog started lifting his one paw on and off over the past few days.

I realized it's the salt that is being put on the sidewalk at the hotel where I'm staying. It was burning his foot.

Now I pick him up and carry him back into the building, which is no small accomplishment since he's a basset hound.
Get some Musher's Wax or Musher's Secret to protect his paws. Ask someone at the hotel where it is sold. If all else fails, call a vet and ask where it is sold, or if s/he can refer you to a musher, who will probably know where to get it.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I don't think this is correct in whole. One must pay for initial intake exam as well as other cost before the test is offered. In the long run, it can run a lot more.
I have had tick testing sent to NCSU in the past. I believe that is the price they offer the veterianary practice who would probably charge for the draw, maybe not. When we enrolled in the VDI study the vet did not charge one penny for drawing and preparing the sample.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,414 times
Quote:
I have had tick testing sent to NCSU in the past. I believe that is the price they offer the veterianary practice who would probably charge for the draw, maybe not. When we enrolled in the VDI study the vet did not charge one penny for drawing and preparing the sample.
Yes, if your dog is accepted into this particular study then all cost are covered by the grant.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,780 times
If your dog is limping, you might also want to try using curcumin as a preventative and natural pain reliever. My dog was having on/off neck pain and when I started using Curcumin for Pets Curcumin For Pets--Dog Limping and Aching Joints Curcumin For Pets--Dog Limping and Aching Joints[/url] from www.askariel.com it stopped the flareups. I have been using it for over a year and he is not having the horrible neck pain anymore where he would just cry out in pain. If you use joint support and natural herbs, you may not need to use pain medications

Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
My dog also had a limp and after xrays it was otho arthrities and she was put on the generic pain med rymadal.
she now seems fine and it helps with her pain.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jba18 View Post
My dog had a limp in one leg that seemed to come and go. The vet couldn't find anything wrong. We tried her on Recovery for dogs and the limp was gone within a few days. This was when she was 4 months old. She is still on Recovery every day and doing well. If it's a joint issue, it's worth a try.
Great point.
One of mine had a limp in a back leg from time to time and I started her on a joint supplement and it is pretty much gone now.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
All kinds of tick diseases can cause ortho/neuro problems - as can other orthopedic issues

I normally do a routine tick panel but this looks like a great deal! But only for January - June 2013! NC State has one of the most respected vector borne disease labs

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/csds/doc...nsivePanel.pdf
That is an EXCELLENT deal and is exactly what my vet did to discover that my dog's issues were from bartonella. Same lab. If anyone suspects anything weird, get in on this deal, because it usually costs a bundle more...

My vet said my dog contracted the bartonella from either a cat or a flea - not a tick - and she didn't have contact with cats. Only this PCR testing finds it.

A study? I wonder if I can get my dog in on the study. Checking

Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I am the OP
My dog is not limping and hasn't since close to the time I posted
We did restrict her activity and she took the initial RX dose and didn't need to have it extended so I guess she did have a strain of some kind

Right now I am worried because she is having some digestive problem
Has history of pancreatitis but is not vomiting and haven't sen any lose stools
Just asks like she doesn't feel good
Doesn't want to eat like normal
Would play outside earlier today but doesn't want to play in the house now

I Gave her 1/4 of Pepcid tab around noon and she seemed more at ease for while but don't think I can give her another one tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs