Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times

Advertisements

Have him check her front and back joints. That's what made my vet think there was something more going on - when he flexed them they all hurt (polyarthritis). I'd initially brought my dog in just for what I thought was a problem with her left leg or hip.

He's right about the limping on all legs - that's the polyarthritis - it's just that my dog still has issues with that left leg/hip/whatever and actually does have an infectious disease as well.

Can't tell how how much the lyme test is; that's up to your vet. My dog was negative for lyme (rare in my area too) but positive for bartonella heneslae.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
She showed no tenderness in either rear leg hip joint--not the limping one or the other

Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
You know what, I totally missed the part where the vet said likely strained muscle, lol. Sorry about that. Glad that's all it is!

Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Took her yesterday to vet
he moved her rear legs--she is only limping on right rear and intermittantly as I said
He could feel no slipping in the knee cap and she did not seem to feel any pain when he was manipulating her legs
said it was likely strained muscle
gave me pain med for her and said to try to limit her physical activity--like put her on leash when she goes in backyard to pee so she does not run around and keep it from healing.
I asked about Lyme disease--he said that is very rare in our area and that it would cause sporadic limping on all legs-not one in particular...

regarding the other reason for the limping--that seems generic if a DNA test is required so guess we will just go with strained muscle and see if there is improvement in couple of days...

My dog had a limp in one leg that seemed to come and go. The vet couldn't find anything wrong. We tried her on Recovery for dogs and the limp was gone within a few days. This was when she was 4 months old. She is still on Recovery every day and doing well. If it's a joint issue, it's worth a try.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 10,428 times
my dog has just started to limp on her back leg she has a lump on it but she is in on pain with it i would like to take her to the vets but money is very thin at the moment has i am out of work is any thing i can do please

Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
any lump should be checked out by a professional. Get your dog the help it needs. It will only cost more and be more painful the longer you wait.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
. . . Limping on and off on a back leg without apparent cause is often luxating patellas (kneecaps that move in and out of place). Impossible to tell over the internet of course. A trip to the vet is going to be needed to tell for sure.

Intestinal problems wouldn't cause limping.
Quote:
I just read about the Lyme disease symptom
My dog was in kennel last week---for one day--
found a small tick on her ear flap when we were in car on way home
took it off and got the head but did not think to preserve the tick for examination
. . .
Quote:
Took her yesterday to vet
he moved her rear legs--she is only limping on right rear and intermittantly as I said
He could feel no slipping in the knee cap and she did not seem to feel any pain when he was manipulating her legs
said it was likely strained muscle
gave me pain med for her and said to try to limit her physical activity--like put her on leash when she goes in backyard to pee so she does not run around and keep it from healing.
I asked about Lyme disease--he said that is very rare in our area and that it would cause sporadic limping on all legs-not one in particular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It sometimes starts with one leg early in the disease, then jumps from one leg to another. It's referred to as "shifting leg-lameness". Since Lyme disease is not very common in your area perhaps that's why your vet doesn't know this? But it's good news that your dog likely just has a strained muscle.
Judging from what the OP responded, I would guess the vet was aware of the possibilities and was making the best judgement based upon the evidence and facts.

Interesting side story: At a time when my family was breeding dogs, we had a young, healthy and robust male go lame in the back legs. We could find no reason for same - totally bewildering. Vet check, nothing. But he went, within hours, from normal to being unable to use his back legs at all. Eventually I found a wood tick on his spine, near his shoulders. Removed the tick and the problem disappeared within hours. Poof. Gone. But the tick was well hidden under heavy fur, in an area of skin that can wrinkle easily - and nobody found the tick (amazing by itself, that!). When I did, the tick was fully bloated. Removed the tick, like I said, a few hours and all was back to normal. Moral? The problem isn't always "standard", nor is it always the predictable cause.

However, that said, KISS rules. The simple explanation is most often the probable cause. Soft tissue damage and muscle strains are the most common, the simplest, and the most likely. Arthritis isn't far behind. Age, lack of muscle tone from lack of conditioning - common. Lyme can develop in less than 24 hours, altho that is usually given as the minimum time. Lyme is also not that common, especially for joint pain, and testing for it is inaccurate and not definitive. I live in the very heart of "Lyme" country - Massachusetts.

As for the deer ticks who are the disease vector - they are very recognizable, after you have seen a few. They are also pervasive, and extremely annoying around here with their numbers. And, the aftermath of having one attach is nasty. I hate the little Hmmm-hmmmm. When they attach they release some sort of anti-coagulant. Well, whatever it is, it causes what seems to be a blood blister under the skin where they attached. They begin to cause this result within about 15 minutes of attaching. It is also extremely difficult to remove them whole. Wood ticks are nothing in comparison. Apparently deer ticks have some sort of curved grippers/pincers/mouth parts that won't detach unless you twist them in just the right fashion. I can never seem to manage that.

Deer ticks are small - 1/4 the size of a wood tick, or less. Black for the males. Black with red border for the females. Any time I feel a creepy-crawly itch - I check for deer ticks. It is usually only dry skin - but I check. A good thing is that they are seasonal, and temperature sensitive. They don't like warm/hot weather - I think they go inactive at about 60' on the high side, and something above freezing on the low side. I'm kinda guessing about the temp limits - but something like that. They are also only active in certain seasons - and this is partly related to the temps. Around here, it is spring and fall. In TX? I have no idea. l

Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
All kinds of tick diseases can cause ortho/neuro problems - as can other orthopedic issues

I normally do a routine tick panel but this looks like a great deal! But only for January - June 2013! NC State has one of the most respected vector borne disease labs

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/csds/doc...nsivePanel.pdf

Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Do you live in an area with snow? My dog started lifting his one paw on and off over the past few days.

I realized it's the salt that is being put on the sidewalk at the hotel where I'm staying. It was burning his foot.

Now I pick him up and carry him back into the building, which is no small accomplishment since he's a basset hound.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
So how much is the test for Lyme disease
I think it's like $110. It's been a few years since I've gotten the test. Of course, price varies by region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs