Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

She startd limping Thursday night---no visible wound--no sitckers we could find in her pad...
she is min schnauzer and will scratch in our berber carpet from time to time before lying down...
we also have cat and they have had play fights wheree the dog was bitten and needed to see vet
but having szeen them playing like that

can dogs have intestinal problems--like gastritis, irritable bowl--that results in them limping?

she can go for long periods w/o limping--and then shewill do it every time she is walking around...no clue as to what...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Which leg is she limping on? Limping on and off on a back leg without apparent cause is often luxating patellas (kneecaps that move in and out of place). Impossible to tell over the internet of course. A trip to the vet is going to be needed to tell for sure.

Intestinal problems wouldn't cause limping.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Ironically my dog woke up with a similar issue this morning, not actually limping, but favoring her rear leg/legs and not wanting to jump up on the couch or bed. She will eventually, but is really thinking it through and hesitating for a long while first. Is your dog eating well? Lethargic?

I don't think our dogs could be having an intestinal issue, two other causes come to my mind. One, it is possible they pulled a muscle. My dog plays hard. Two, it could be Lyme disease, resulting from the bite of a deer tick. My area has a high concentration of deer ticks. Do you have them in your area? In my dog's case, she has had the Lyme vaccination, but it is not 100% preventative against the disease. You could do a google search for Lyme disease (some people incorrectly call it Lymes, but it is Lyme disease, named after a town in Connecticut) to get more information. Limping is one of the main symptoms. For my dog, I think a trip to the vet in the next day or so is imminent, unless she has a sudden miraculous cure. You should consider it, too. Good luck, I hope your dog doesn't have anything serious.

Editing to say that for your dog it could also be a joint issue, or arthritis.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-04-2012 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 AM

I just read about the Lyme disease symptom
My dog was in kennel last week---for one day--
found a small tick on her ear flap when we were in car on way home
took it off and got the head but did not think to preserve the tick for examination

I don't think we do have Lyme disease in my area===DFW TX===as much as some areas

and it takes time for that to develop as well from what I read

this AM she got up and went outside and showed no limping--
haven't seen any so far this morning--
will just have to watch it
I have been watching her when she is walking away from me and it seems that even if she is not limping that the right read leg is stiff when she walks---
makes me think it is more in hip than say the paw area
but difficult to tell

will take her to vet tomorrow if she starts it up today

Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
The only time that I've seen a dog limp for no known reason was when my friend's dog got Lyme Disease. It was a quick and easy fix -- antibiotics from the vet. Although it was a 10-day course of meds, she was feeling better (and not limping) within a day or two. Of course, if it's Lyme Disease, as with anything that requires antibiotics, you need to take the full 10-day course of the antibiotics.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just read about the Lyme disease symptom
My dog was in kennel last week---for one day--
found a small tick on her ear flap when we were in car on way home
took it off and got the head but did not think to preserve the tick for examination

I don't think we do have Lyme disease in my area===DFW TX===as much as some areas

and it takes time for that to develop as well from what I read

this AM she got up and went outside and showed no limping--
haven't seen any so far this morning--
will just have to watch it
I have been watching her when she is walking away from me and it seems that even if she is not limping that the right read leg is stiff when she walks---
makes me think it is more in hip than say the paw area
but difficult to tell

will take her to vet tomorrow if she starts it up today
Actually, it doesn't take much time at all for Lyme disease to develop, only about a day after being bitten. In humans, people will often get a "bull's eye" red ring around the tick where it is attached in the skin. And the disease is present in Texas, although not as prevalent as in northeastern states. Still, it's a possibility not to be overlooked, as if not treated early the disease can eventually be fatal. The longer treatment is delayed, the less effective the treatment. Since you did find a tick, just keep it in mind.

Lyme disease in dogs

"It takes about 24-48 hours for a tick to transmit Lyme disease, so you have a narrow window to pull those ticks off. "

Here's the map of the disease.

Canine Lyme Disease - ticks

Hopefully whatever it is, it's not serious.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-04-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Have her checked for Lyme...but...my dog did the same thing and she turned out to be infected with bartonella heneslae, only detected by a DNA test my vet ordered...maybe mention it to your vet as a possibility in case the lyme test is negative...

Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 AM

Took her yesterday to vet
he moved her rear legs--she is only limping on right rear and intermittantly as I said
He could feel no slipping in the knee cap and she did not seem to feel any pain when he was manipulating her legs
said it was likely strained muscle
gave me pain med for her and said to try to limit her physical activity--like put her on leash when she goes in backyard to pee so she does not run around and keep it from healing.
I asked about Lyme disease--he said that is very rare in our area and that it would cause sporadic limping on all legs-not one in particular...

regarding the other reason for the limping--that seems generic if a DNA test is required so guess we will just go with strained muscle and see if there is improvement in couple of days...

Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I asked about Lyme disease--he said that is very rare in our area and that it would cause sporadic limping on all legs-not one in particular...
It sometimes starts with one leg early in the disease, then jumps from one leg to another. It's referred to as "shifting leg-lameness". Since Lyme disease is not very common in your area perhaps that's why your vet doesn't know this? But it's good news that your dog likely just has a strained muscle.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 PM

So how much is the test for Lyme disease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs