Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times

Advertisements

Why do some/many dog owners presume if you don't have a dog, it is their responsibility to convince you otherwise and find one for you ?

I have had dogs in the past ( great ones and some not so great ) and no longer want to be a dog owner in my retirement years.

Also, why do some/many dog owners presume that it is ok to bring their dog with them when they come to visit and allow it to run free in my house ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Why do some/many dog owners presume if you don't have a dog, it is their responsibility to convince you otherwise and find one for you ?
Could be because their dogs make them happy, and they want you to feel that same type of happiness. Or perhaps they are just incredibly controlling people who need to force other people to think like them.

Quote:
I have had dogs in the past ( great ones and some not so great ) and no longer want to be a dog owner in my retirement years.
Tell them that. Could it be your friends think, because you are retired you are lonely or need something to do? Let them know that you are quite happy in your retirement.

Quote:
Also, why do some/many dog owners presume that it is ok to bring their dog with them when they come to visit and allow it to run free in my house ?
Yes, that is incredibly rude assumptive behavior, if the dog has not been invited. Be upfront and tell your friends with dogs that you don't want their dogs at your home.

Sounds like you need some new friends! Or at least, you need to set up some boundaries with your current ones.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i as a dog owner love my dogs and couldnt live without them,however i only tell people to "get a dog" if there already thinking about it and ASK my opinion....

as for the dogs comming to your house...
its your house, make it clear that their dogs arnt welcome and if they must bring the dog it must remain on leash. i take my dogs wherever i can, however i ask first and would never take them to a frineds home unless i knew for sure they were welcome...
i get a feeling youve never actually been upfornt and told these guests you do not want thier dogs in your home...in which case how would they know it bothers you?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My parents' longtime dog was put down this winter at the end of a long life. They have been married 40 years, and have spent virtually none of them dogless. However, they now have four children who all live between 1-500 miles away, and three grandchildren...they spend a lot of time travelling to visit their kids and grandkids, and have decided they are past the stage of life where they need to arrange for a dog's needs to be met while they are gone. So, they have said, "No dogs, it doesn't fit our lifestyle anymore." This didn't stop my brother from trying to hook them up with one, but the rest of us were able to talk him down. My SO's dad is "surprising" his retired parents with a dog within the next week or two. These people are retired snowbirds, spend their year split between upstate NY and FL, and have never evidenced a desire for a dog.

I don't know what is wrong with people.

When we travel, if it is not to my parents' house or my SO's mom's house, we kennel our dog...because we have preapproved that it's okay with the two listed hosts if we bring our dog...and his crate. I never show up for a local visit with somebody with dog in tow. Also, nobody has ever brought their dog to our house.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
They may be telling you that the bars and match.com ain't working for you so this may be your last chance for love.

I think they suffer from a bad case of loss of self identity and think that everyone needs to be like them to be happy. Just accept it as a kind guesture in their minds.

Quote:
Maybe cause you didn't stop them. It's your house so how can someones pet take over unless you let them. You just need to tell them its no alright.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
redwolf fan....I'm thinking these people really mean well....some animal lovers just can't imagine being without one.....I'm sure (like the foxywench wrote) if you tell these people that you're really not comfortable with their dog in your house, or off its leash, whatever.... they'll respect that...I imagine their presumption is based on the fact that it's just hard for some of them to see their pets as anything other than their children.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
I always feel if someone really wants a dog they will find it themselves. I talk to people that are interested in a dog to help them make the right choice. I would never push someone to get a dog. Many feel I am trying to talk others out of dog ownership. Not at all, just want to make sure they are ready for the large responsibility pets entail. Are they willing to groom, exercise, vet, train, be a best friend, and above all else be there when they are needed most. Like wedding vows, in sickness and in health.

Many people feel a friends life is incomplete without a pet. I've had pets all my life and sometimes envy my petless friends freedom.But never enough to be pet free myself. The choice should always be yours. Just smile when they suggest you get a dog, and tell them you've had your share.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 PM

125 posts, read 206,616 times
Quote:

My first thought after reading your post was more of a surprise that someone would come to visit...or that they were trying to cheer you up....perhaps increasing the fiber in your diet would make you more agreeable

OK...I am kidding....Like the others have written, I would be surprised that after you make your wishes known, someone would bring their pet to your house. But not half as surprised as they would be that if they did, you said they could sleep out back with the dog or at a hotel that accepts pets.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Shouldn't your post read "why do people I know recommend that I get a dog?" I highly doubt that "many" dog owners are telling others to get dogs.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I'm sure they mean will. Just tell them you aren't interested...what's the big deal?

It's incredibly rude to bring a dog to someone else's house without asking permission. I would definitely let visitors know it isn't okay to bring Fido over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs