Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
I can hardly believe how hard it is to find a real American Pit Bull Terrier!

All I am finding are dogs that are mostly American Staffordshire Terrier or are Bullys and almost all of them are blue. Thousands and thousands of blue dogs. Whats up with that?

I've find a few places and thats it. It seems true APBTs are totally in the minority.

I can't believe people think blue pits are rare? A couple people have said wow thats a really rare color. Or I've never seen a blue pit. I'm kind of shocked because thats all I can hardly find anymore.

Do other breeds have these fads they suffer? I know I've seen the super huge Rottweilers out there.

Another of the breeds that have been corrupted by BYBs. And the 'rare blue' pit was all the rage, so that's what they focused on to make themselves more money.

And don't even get me started on the over sized rotties. Good grief. Nothing like breeding hip dysplasia into a breed that's already pre-disposed, huh?? Money grubbing, greedy people just make me livid!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Another of the breeds that have been corrupted by BYBs. And the 'rare blue' pit was all the rage, so that's what they focused on to make themselves more money.

And don't even get me started on the over sized rotties. Good grief. Nothing like breeding hip dysplasia into a breed that's already pre-disposed, huh?? Money grubbing, greedy people just make me livid!!!
I couldn't agree more! I cannot stand BYBs! I really hate all of these crazy over-sized "pit bulls" that people seem to have these days! It always kills me when people tell me that Brooklyn is really small for his breed! He is a very nice sized APBT, he's about 50lbs of solid muscle. He's not too tall, but not too low to the ground, and he's not as bulky as a lot of these so-called "pit bulls" that people have. All 3 of the "pit bull" breeds are supposed to be small-medium breeds. Some really could be considered large breed dogs because they are over 50 or so pounds, but they still shouldn't be huge, by any means. IMHO, it's the BYBs and people that know absolutely nothing about APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies that are destroying these wonderful breeds!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Interesting side note.....

I got an e-mail a few days ago about a litter of 12 week old pit mixes at a shelter in KY due to be euth'd today. I sent an e-mail back and told them if no rescue came forward I'd pull all 3 of them and foster and re-home them. I sent a mass e-mail out to everyone I know to see if anyone was interested in one. There was a gorgeous little brown and white girl that I had my eye on.

Yesterday my Director of HR called and said a friend of hers locally had lost his pittie mix that he'd had forever and thought he was ready to start looking for another. So I called the contact I have at the shelter and they said a rescue did step in and take them. Yay!!

So I told her no biggie, everyone near me lets theirs run wild, unaltered, so there are always tons of little pit mix pups needing homes. I can find one in 30 seconds.

Not a single one!!! The closest one I found - for free, as I refuse to buy one when I have no plans to breed / show and the only ones that sell them that aren't for either purpose I refuse to support financially - is in KY!! I was floored. I think that's the first time I've ever not seen a litter in someone's backyard!

So, could this mean people are getting smart? Are they spaying and neutering? Probably not, but for the moment with a shelter full of dogs and puppies that are being put down today that I'm working with trying to save, that's what I'm going to tell myself. I need a little ray of sunshine, even if it is just from a flashlight who's batteries are about to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs