Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,822,999 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot of research and I'm just as confused as ever
I have used the rating site, but I still cannot decide what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

grain free
low fat
limited ingredient (if possible)

Right now I'm using Blue Buffalo LID turkey. All of a sudden, my dog won't eat it.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM

611 posts, read 1,603,717 times
Sort of pricey but Nature's Variety Instinct has a limited ingredient line I used to feed my dog with a sensitive stomach. She enjoyed eating the lamb formula but my other dog is on Acana and I decided to just stick with Acana for both.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,296,649 times
California Natural has Salmon & Peas and Kangaroo & Lentils; grain free, limited ingredients and low in fat.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,586,670 times
You might want to subscribe to Whole Dog Journal. I feed Canidae, but also add homecooked food to their diet, so it's never boring. I had trouble getting my dogs to eat California Natural, but I never tried the Salmon or Kangaroo that was recommended here.
You don't want to feed one food constantly anyway, mix it up. Different foods give them variety, and meet various nutritional needs.

Whole Dog Journal - Dog Food

Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,570,201 times
My dog was on Purina Pro Plan when I adopted her. One day she just wouldn't touch the food at all. I don't know if it was a bad batch or what. I wasn't sure if she was sick, so I fed her boiled hamburg and brown rice. She ate it right up. I switched her to Wellness and she has been on that ever since with no problems. The dog shelter where I adopted my dog from said they don't like the Blue Buffalo because the dogs tend to get overweight from it. Too much protein, carbs and calories.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,822,999 times
thanks for the responses. I bought Castor & Pollux. I was unable to get Acana, so we'll see how this works.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,597,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
California Natural has Salmon & Peas and Kangaroo & Lentils; grain free, limited ingredients and low in fat.
My dogs get Cali Natural, too...we do the grain-free lamb, and they really love it. My mom's dog, who has digestive issues, also does well on this brand...great stuff!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
thanks for the responses. I bought Castor & Pollux. I was unable to get Acana, so we'll see how this works.
That's impressive, let us know how your dog likes it. Where are you buying it?
http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/

Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,060,770 times
My dog has been on numerous of foods since he has the same problem, that he won't eat. Recently, I switched him (and it's been a year or better since I've switched) from Pro-Plan to Acana (which has is a good food and is grain-free) but now he's having bloody stools. The Vet put him on Science Diet the W/D canned for a month to get his stools back to normal. He will eat some of it, but not even a 1/2 cup a day. I'm spoon feeding him sometimes (I know how wrong that is) just to get him in some nutrient since he can't have any treats except marshmallows.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
My dog has been on numerous of foods since he has the same problem, that he won't eat. Recently, I switched him (and it's been a year or better since I've switched) from Pro-Plan to Acana (which has is a good food and is grain-free) but now he's having bloody stools. The Vet put him on Science Diet the W/D canned for a month to get his stools back to normal. He will eat some of it, but not even a 1/2 cup a day. I'm spoon feeding him sometimes (I know how wrong that is) just to get him in some nutrient since he can't have any treats except marshmallows.
Good lord, that's horrible. Science Diet is crap. Can't you just feed him some boiled chicken and rice? Make some stews. Start cooking for him, and get a quality kibble that works for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs