Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,765 times

Advertisements

Our family of 6 is seeking a hypoallergenic female small to medium-sized dog, preferably younger and from a shelter. We live in St. Louis Park, MN. Please let us know if you have any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
1:theres no such thing as "hypallergenic" some breeds have a lower tenency to cause allergy issues, but anyone calling thier breed "hypoalergenic" is praying on folks who havent done thier homework..
for example, poodles are considered great for allergy sufferers, yet i have a freind whos alergic to poodles (yet has no prblem with her wire coated JRT...

Generlaly however youd want to look into low shedding breeds with low dander production
poodles, chinese crested, American hairless terrier, Xolo, schnauzers, bichon ect....hairless, curly coated and wire coated breeds tend to be easier on allergies, with hairless breeds tending to be the aboslute best choice for allergy sufferers.

but remember these breeds also tend to require more grooming or bathing maintenece...

otherwise id suggest figuring out what breed your interested in then heading on over to Petfinder.com and ding a search of shelters in your area

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Foxy's right, it's the oils in their skin and skin particles that cause allergies, not the hair or the breed.

I'd contact an all-breed rescue in your area. There are probably a dozen of them - or even the shelter itself. The all-breeds do pull dogs from shelters and the dogs are vetted and temperment tested. Tell them what you are looking for. Yes, there's a process - an application, probably a home visit, and a little time. However, having worked in rescue for a very long time, they have volunteers who are truly trying to match the right dog to the right family - no one wants a failed adoption.

There are so many unwanted pets - I commend you for wanting a shelter dog. However, if you aren't really all that dog savvy, I'd consider contacting the rescue and letting them do the leg work as far as finding a dog that would match your lifestyle and your desires.

Good luck to you, and come back and post pictures when you find that perfect companion!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
You can sometimes find an American HAirless Terrier online, and I believe there are some in the Upper Midwest.
They don't require grooming, but do require sweaters in winter & sunblock in bright sun. But there are NO allergy issues at all. and they are great dogs. Rat Terriers without hair. They do not generally have the health problems XOlo's or Chinese Cresteds have,
Check the AHT websites for any available.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
A gf DD cant be around dogs BUT her ex DH got a Boxer she had no reactions to!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM

484 posts, read 1,632,008 times
I really doubt there is a truly hypoallergenic dog. All dogs give off some dander, which is, IMHO, what people are allergic to, it's not the hair. Perhaps the key is keeping your dog clean. Regular bathing and grooming might alleviate some allergy problems.
Just my two cents worth.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
true hairless breeds are considered "hypoalergenic" (though there not, they are aboust as close to truly as you can get) but thats only because they have no hair for dander to build up in...
regular grooming definatly helps reduce allergens and dogs that are less prne to shedding (thus leaving dander o the hiar around the house) are generally easier on allergy sufferers...but low shedding breds (ie poodles and bichons) tend to also have to begroomed VERY regularly...thus again making them easier on allergy sufferes...

for people who have serious allergies id definatly suggest th AHT, Xolo, Peruvina inca orchid and chinese crested...
(the powderpuff chinese crested is a good option for folks who dont like the hairless look as pp cresties like poodles tend to be very low on the allergy scale. but not quite as difficult as poodles on the grooming scale lol.)
I LOVE my nekkid dogs! lol.

i find for me the biggest allergy offenders are labs and northern breeds...(i could never own a husky or mal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs