Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

So, here's some good news - my dog's test results came back and there is no longer any bartonella heneslae in her system. Yay!

The bad news is that the polyarthritis that she developed from this infection is here to stay, but my vet said it's not at the level where he wants to put her on prednisone right now. He did say that glucosamine/chondroitin might be good to give her.

I actually have some Foster and Smith Joint Care 3, which seemed to work wonders on my elderly shih tzu, but didn't seem to be helping when Nora had an active infection...I'll finish up the jar, but does anyone have a specific brand/formulation that works really well? I know Cosequin (Cosamin?) was the original but I remember it being very pricey and hope to find something cheaper.

Thanks! Nora is still very stiff when getting up from soft surfaces, like the sofa, but not so much when getting up from lying on the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM

175 posts, read 589,938 times
Dasuquin, it is very pricey but it worked wonders on our elderly lab.

Dasuquin for Dogs and Cats - Joint Supplement - 1800PetMeds

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I buy gluocosamine (1500 mg) chondroitin (1200 mg) tablets at Costco, the Kirkland brand. My dogs have been on it for the past couple of years. I get 220 tablets for about $16.00.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I recently purchased from Springtime their Joint Health (chewables for dogs). It also has an ingredient in it that is an anti-inflammatory. It is making a great difference with my 14-year old yellow Lab. First, I started her on the human stuff until what I ordered for dogs arrived. She had been having trouble walking and sometimes, her backside would be crooked almost making a 'V' shape to her body. While walking, she would raise one back leg and it would move around constantly, even all day and all night long when she was in a lying position. I've spent many days of crying my eyes out watching her stumble around, but she didn't seem to be in any pain. Anyway, I don't believe this is a coincidence; I think this all-natural concoction is truly working and helping my old girl.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Ooh, sounds like a great product. Glad your lab is doing better - I think I'll try this one. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,859 times
I find the best deals on human cosemin capsules (previous dogs would eat the capsules whole, but my current older dog likes me to open it and sprinkle it on his food I know it is more expensive, but that is what I use.

Whichever brand you decide upon, definitely get some and try it for your dog. I used to think it was utter nonsense - until my two 12+ year old brother dogs literally couldn't walk back up the hill on our driveway when my girlfriend took them for a walk - they sat down like their hips were just giving out, and kind of stagger walked back home. Faced with having to put them down if this continued, I took my vet's advice and gave them both cosequin (the dog kind). I had no faith in it - called it "voo-doo" to the vet. But I kid you not - within a month, these boys were out walking with us on very steep hills in central oregon (and walking across shale graveled hillsides, which is seriously not easy to do). They were large dogs, 90 lbs +, and lived until they were well into their 14th year, thanks to glucosimine/chrondrotin supplements.

That was years and years ago - and I still add it to my dogs diets when they start to age and need it. All dogs since have shown improvement on it, from somewhat to quite a lot (though none as dramatic as the old brother dogs). I understand that it won't work with all dogs (same for humans) but you won't be out much if it doesn't help and if it does, it is just the best thing in the world.

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:53 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,183 times
I realize this thread is a little bit old, but I recently took my dog to the vet, well about 2 months ago. I had been noticing loss of mass in the rear legs and he is reluctant to climb, he hops when he runs. It is difficult to examine my dog as he does not like the vet. The vet said the dog is getting a little bit of arthritis in the knees.

He suggested the supplements glucosamine and chondroitin to build up the cartilage and also wanted me to get some fish oil, saying it wouldn't hurt to make sure he has enough omega 3 fatty acids as well.

I was reading the labels at the store and seems that fish oil is for the coat, none said anything about joints. Had anybody heard of fish oil (omega 3's) for joints?

Anyway, I bought the GNC MEGA Hip and Joint Health, peanut butter chewable. He won't eat them, I have to hide it in real peanut butter folded in bread. But he does appear to be moving about better. He will jump on the bed again. Rarely using the little stairs. It was in the med of the price range.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Although this thread is a couple of months old, I will agree with the Costco "Kirkland" brand. I've used the glucosamine/MSM tablets AND their fish oil (omega 3) for years on my older dogs that had arthritis or ACL replacement surgeries, with good results and decent prices. All dogs have been healthy weights, 70 pounds range.

I go with what works

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks! I do have to pick some more up - I stopped giving my dog the Joint Care when we started this food allergy trial, because they were flavored and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to discontinue those too. I have to ask the vet and get some that are just capsules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs