Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,713,254 times

Advertisements

Elio, truth is, you did nothing wrong, your dog did nothing wrong and the fact is the lawn mand really is to blame for this. You steps and actions so far is well within reason. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise and don;t feel you have to spend time and money dealing with training or anything. Your dog was on your property and this occured on your property so you and the dog are in the clear as far as pet owners are concerned.

If anyone here gives you a stink over this, I'll send you a list of forum topics where dogs bite, attacked or chased a person and you can see all the forum responders who supported the dog (no matter what the facts were) in the case because it was on their proeprty doing what a dog does. Oh some may now come out and pretent you have some fault just cause they dont like how you said things, BUT if you read their prior post, it paints another picture of their TRUE beliefs. Your dog did nothing wrong, you did nothing wrong, so relax and let your dog be a dog!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,190,782 times
You are the most wrong you have ever been.

Unless he was in danger of being assaulted from the lawn guy the bite was unjustified it does not matter were it happened.

His dog bit someone unprovoked and with out a command to do so.
A loose cannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Elio, truth is, you did nothing wrong, your dog did nothing wrong and the fact is the lawn mand really is to blame for this. You steps and actions so far is well within reason. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise and don;t feel you have to spend time and money dealing with training or anything. Your dog was on your property and this occured on your property so you and the dog are in the clear as far as pet owners are concerned.

If anyone here gives you a stink over this, I'll send you a list of forum topics where dogs bite, attacked or chased a person and you can see all the forum responders who supported the dog (no matter what the facts were) in the case because it was on their proeprty doing what a dog does. Oh some may now come out and pretent you have some fault just cause they dont like how you said things, BUT if you read their prior post, it paints another picture of their TRUE beliefs. Your dog did nothing wrong, you did nothing wrong, so relax and let your dog be a dog!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,967,929 times
Every dog is unique and I think all you can do is keep working at the training. Looks like alot of people are determined to Monday morning quarterback you. It's unfortunate what happened, but certainly shouldn't raise the ire and disdain I've seen here. Show me a perfectly trained dog and I'll show you a way to break his training. No one understands all if their motivations, we just try our best. Accidents happen. Now you know something more about your dog and you can learn from it. My dog has people issues at times (never bitten anyone, but reacts poorly to scared or nervous people it seems. If they ignore him he's perfectly happy to ignore them). You lie you learn. The worst thing is to ignore the lesson, but something tells me there is no chance of that. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,211,611 times
Quote:

The lawn man is to blame??? Seriously? He was hired to do a job and was doing it. He was on the property at the home owners' invitation. How can you blame him? Honestly PF--sometimes - usually- your comments are so baffling.

Last edited by no kudzu; 07-19-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
You are the most wrong you have ever been.

Unless he was in danger of being assaulted from the lawn guy the bite was unjustified it does not matter were it happened.

His dog bit someone unprovoked and with out a command to do so.
A loose cannon.
Not according to 45 seperate individual posters on City-Date Pet Forum. So far at least 45 (AND COUNTING) have written post blaming the person who was on private property and was bitten or attacked by a dog. So, I have dozens of people who will support me on this (unless they were full of sheets in their prior comments) cause they have alrewady written for the world to see that when a diog attacks or threatens a person, if the dog is on their private property, its NEVER the dogs fault! It's NEVER the owner's fault! It's always the other person's fault!

Now if the moderators will assure me that they will not issue an infraction for posting thsoe people names and links to their commenst, i will start doing it for you and everyone else to see. However, last time I did that, people whined and moaned and it was removed cause it appears they dont want their opinion known if it contradicts their new opinion that contradicts their old opinions which....

(personally, yes I belive the owner was unprepared for the event, the dog was out of control, the lawn man actions may or may not contributed to it, but in the final end, the inability to control a dog in an open space with known "invited" people present, is the responsibility of the owner. However, based on the many posters who have in the past argued to holy heck that it's never the dog's or owners fault, I'm just thinking maybe they are right. Can;t win whatever side I take!)

Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,671,408 times
I have a Yorkie who is a known ankle bitter. I have to remove him from the yard when workers are present. He has nipped at our handyman and broken the skin. He also tends to follow new visitors around the house. Niles is always leery of anyone person or dog he doesn't know. I don't really worry as he is a six pound Yorkie and I can scoop him before he has an opportunity to survey guests.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,190,782 times
You can post, posts of others that are wrong like you are until the cows come home, this does not make you right.

AGAIN,
The lawn guy was doing a job he was hired to do.
he was legally there.
It could have been a girl-scout selling cookies or a kid retrieving a ball from the yard.
The only time a bite is justified is if you or someone else was in danger of being assaulted, hurt, killed, period.

It does not matter where it happened. period.

you need to get some legal advice from some professionals not the like minded folks you hang out with.

Quote:
Not according to 45 seperate individual posters on City-Date Pet Forum. So far at least 45 (AND COUNTING) have written post blaming the person who was on private property and was bitten or attacked by a dog. So, I have dozens of people who will support me on this (unless they were full of sheets in their prior comments) cause they have alrewady written for the world to see that when a diog attacks or threatens a person, if the dog is on their private property, its NEVER the dogs fault! It's NEVER the owner's fault! It's always the other person's fault!

Now if the moderators will assure me that they will not issue an infraction for posting thsoe people names and links to their commenst, i will start doing it for you and everyone else to see. However, last time I did that, people whined and moaned and it was removed cause it appears they dont want their opinion known if it contradicts their new opinion that contradicts their old opinions which....

(personally, yes I belive the owner was unprepared for the event, the dog was out of control, the lawn man actions may or may not contributed to it, but in the final end, the inability to control a dog in an open space with known "invited" people present, is the responsibility of the owner. However, based on the many posters who have in the past argued to holy heck that it's never the dog's or owners fault, I'm just thinking maybe they are right. Can;t win whatever side I take!)

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,625,577 times
OK, so, PF was trying to make a point...

Yeah, the dog should have been leashed around the tree guy - I will say I am impressed that the OP right away wanted to make sure this didn't happen again and wanted to talk to the trainers, etc. I mean, I'm about to move into a neighborhood where I already know this guy jogs with his very aggressive dachshund who has bitten people and the guy literally stands ther and laughs because his dog is small - I'm going to have to carry my Direct Stop and let him know he won't be laughing when my larger dog responds in kind... so at least the OP wants to keep it from happening again !

Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
OK, so, PF was trying to make a point...
Thank you for getting it.

In reading the OP's comments, I'm of the opinion that they are not so much blaming the lawnman, but trying to (as any owner would do) defend their dogs action by wondering if the victim's action contributed to the event? I knw that from time to time, one of my anaimals may act in a way I have not seen and often when thinking about it, I have to consider any "contributing" factors. Sounds like that is what the OP was doing, tryingt o figure out exactly what happena nd why so they can figure out if there is a gretater problem. The OP is responsible and by that deed, at fault, but to me I'm also hearing shock, out of character and a "what the heck" surprise for the owner.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
one, he needs to go to the hospital, he should have a shot of anti-biotics to prevent infection, or at least go to his doctor. two, your dog should have been secured, anytime, anyone is around, unless you are right there, your dog needs to be on tie down. Three, step up the training..
Wrong.

Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.