Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:48 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,029,936 times

Advertisements

What really doesn't seem right is that the trainers seem to be blaming the victim. Why else would they say that they use their dogs to assess character and that if the dog dislikes someone, there is usually something discreditable in the person's background? Sounds as of they were implying that the bite was the result of the dog's assessment of the lawn worker! Quite a creative defense of their training outcomes..

Last edited by forum_browser; 07-20-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,284,917 times
do you people really think a dog can know the days of the week and can tell today is Thursday so this lawn man shouldn't be here? really?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,622,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
do you people really think a dog can know the days of the week and can tell today is Thursday so this lawn man shouldn't be here? really?

I do think dogs can know what different days of the week are. When Jazz was young we did agility classes on Thursday evenings and had been in them for a few months.( and she LOVED LOVED LOVED agility) One Thursday my nephews were visiting and I had them at the beach and we were a few minutes late getting home ( late to the usual time we left for agility) and when I opened the door to my house Jazz who never had bolted out a door bolted out past us ran around the property to the car and sat waiting to be let in the car and she behaved with all the excitement she normally did when she knew she was going to class.

Later when I added Dah well his obedience classes happened to be the same time as agility class and trust me that did not go over well with the Queen. I often took them places seperatly so each one would get use to being home alone for a few hours and that was OK but those Thursday evenings Jazz would be waiting at the door ready to go to her class long before I got Dash ready and the fisrt time as Dash and I walked back in she jumped him and started a big fight with him so every time after that I had to watch her closely when we got home, Now if I took Dash out on say a Friday evening no problems but on agility evening...OMG.

I do not know how they know but even the two I have now know what day we do agility class and what day we go to agility practice and In the case of Class I come home from work sleep a few hours ( as this classis Sunday mornings) and They wake me up all excited so it is not me doing any thing different then on other days they let me sleep and do not wake me up so I do think dogs have some weird sense of time as they are such creatures of routine.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,429,880 times
I think the Trainers are trying to blame the guy to Keep from being named in a lawsuit.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 PM

19 posts, read 52,998 times
Ok folks. There's no one to blame. It happened and was an accident. It's situational. YES! I am concerned about my dog and his random behavior. And We are working on that.... It's like the parents of the 24 year old that went and had a shoot out in a Colorado theatre yesterday. It wasn't his poor training that caused that. Sad and unfortunate and ALOT worse then my situation.

And YES! I DO worry about getting sued. Wouldnt you??? I mean seriously....it's a nip (no stitches, no worktime lost, refusing medical care) and I could lose everything I have earned because the victim would get 10%' and the greedy lawyer our society condons gets the other 90% because he knows how to argue....over a nip and no permanant damage. And my insurance company gets raked over the coals. I think 'bottom feeder' lawyers are a big problem in our country.....

Writing this post, I was asking for guidance. Not blame. I already knew that it was my fault for not leashng my dog (and I really know that now, thank you very much!)...I wanted good discussion, not someone pointing the finger. If you have a constructive opinion, then post. If you want to tell me it's my fault, that is another redundant voice, and it old. I know (and everyone else knows) that, so try using your brain with new material.

YAY to all the helpful opinions and BOOOOO to all the blamers with nothing to contribute.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,460,499 times
Do you have "BAD DOG" signs in your yard? I heard you can't put "Beware of Dog"...but you can post "BAD DOG" signs...maybe that is something you should think about...The signs usually have a picture of a snarling dog, with lots of teeth...so folks, know not to go in the yard without verifying the dog is secured...

That may be something constructive to do...

Last edited by jasper12; 07-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,429,880 times
Gee Just a Scrach! Humm What about this guys mental state? He was Already afraid of dogs.... I sure your dogs "scratch" Help him get over his fear....NOT!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 AM

19 posts, read 52,998 times
The lawn guy use to have a white German shepherd, just like Shep, but bigger then Shep. He got rid of him because he chewed up everything in his house. He's a former dog owner.

Hate it happened. I feel like both of us are traumatized by this experience....I wondered if anyone else out there had a dog had a similar experience.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,199,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Do you have "BAD DOG" signs in your yard? I heard you can't put "Beware of Dog"...but you can post "BAD DOG" signs...maybe that is something you should think about...The signs usually have a picture of a snarling dog, with lots of teeth...so folks, know not to go in the yard without verifying the dog is secured...

That may be something constructive to do...
A sign is an admission you have a aggressive dog and will be used to show that when you are sued.
It also sends a signal to those who are looking to make a few $$$ off of you by making you a MARK.
They will get your dog to bite them so they can sue you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio73 View Post
The lawn guy use to have a white German shepherd, just like Shep, but bigger then Shep. He got rid of him because he chewed up everything in his house. He's a former dog owner.

Hate it happened. I feel like both of us are traumatized by this experience....I wondered if anyone else out there had a dog had a similar experience.
I do wonder if the trainers are part of your problem?
What are you having them train your dog to do?
Right now, I would get a cage muzzle and walk you dog around a lot of people.
Then at home I would again use the muzzle and have different friends walk up like the lawn guy did and even, back away when shep barks. When he greats them niceley have your guest give a treat and you also give the dog a reward.
remember to do so quickly after he has done or shown a desired action. don't delay reward.

Desensitize him.
Now, you have to be careful how your dog is taking correction at this point.
as it could make him dislike strangers. stranger=correction. you want stranger to = waging tail
have your guests bring shep treats.

Don't be worried your Shepard will still protect you if someone attacks you, this will not turn him into a power-puff.

When the lawn guy ran it triggered sheps pray drive.
remember recall probably will not work, use the the word you are using to have your dog law down. This command needs to be driven into your dog.

If your doing any bite work this needs to stop until you have total control of your dog, this will take a few weeks of YOU training your dog as it needs to know your the boss, shepherds will take over and see you as theirs, your dog needs to see it's self as yours. beta you need to be alpha, not the trainers or it's self.

ps The last thing that they should have done is come to your house and test your dog using a sleeve or a bite suit as this is reinforcing the dogs decision to bite.

You need to stop this. The last thing you dog should be doing is bite work of any kind and they should not be trying to recreate this situation as it is reenforcing the bad decision.

You need to go back and work on obedience training only. Until your dog becomes an extension of your self and listens to you every time, proofed, then maybe you can start bite work. but the dog has to know it's commands and react to them instantly.

Last edited by snofarmer; 07-21-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,615,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio73;25267066[B
]Ok folks. There's no one to blame[/b]. It happened and was an accident. It's situational. YES! I am concerned about my dog and his random behavior. And We are working on that.... It's like the parents of the 24 year old that went and had a shoot out in a Colorado theatre yesterday. It wasn't his poor training that caused that. Sad and unfortunate and ALOT worse then my situation.

And YES! I DO worry about getting sued. Wouldnt you??? I mean seriously....it's a nip (no stitches, no worktime lost, refusing medical care) and I could lose everything I have earned because the victim would get 10%' and the greedy lawyer our society condons gets the other 90% because he knows how to argue....over a nip and no permanant damage. And my insurance company gets raked over the coals. I think 'bottom feeder' lawyers are a big problem in our country.....

Writing this post, I was asking for guidance. Not blame. I already knew that it was my fault for not leashng my dog (and I really know that now, thank you very much!)...I wanted good discussion, not someone pointing the finger. If you have a constructive opinion, then post. If you want to tell me it's my fault, that is another redundant voice, and it old. I know (and everyone else knows) that, so try using your brain with new material.

YAY to all the helpful opinions and BOOOOO to all the blamers with nothing to contribute.
Well, that's incorrect. IF your dog bit someone who was legally on your property - then guess what? YOU are responsible for any injuries caused - whether permanent injuries or not.

Unfortunately, you do not get to tell others how or what to post on your thread.

Your dog bit someone - and you will foot the bill should this gentleman decide to go for treatment. Lucky for you ~ sounds like he is not too concerned about it.

Also, at some point in time, I would check my insurance policy to make sure GSD's are not an excluded breed.

It's really simple. Bottom line - your dog bit someone and you are responsible should they wish to pursue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs