Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,842,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Actually, Dark, I'd already considered a big old piece of artificial turf to go on the back deck...hoping that would grab the stuff off their feet. I can't find any, and Max the Mastiff/Laundry Thief carries off any doormats. I was looking for a big chunk. I live in a rural area with exactly 1 big box home improvement store - I guess I'll have to import a piece. Yes, it's ugly, but not as ugly as my white kitchen floor is right now (as I play on CD and ignore it).

That's all I can think of, to put something washable/plastic and textured down to catch the excess from their paws that can be sprayed off. Just a hint - don't even bother with the 3 x 5 low pile doormats that are backed by rubber. Once the dirt is in them you can never get it out and they are pretty expensive to just throw away. The solution to that is to donate your used ones to my Museum of Dead Doormats, though. I have a fine collection.
In my case, it's not so much the feet that are the problem. The dirt gets in their coats and then they come in and shake and produce, literally, a cloud of dust that settles on EVERYthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You could fence off a smaller area and use pea gravel or the astro turf kind of stuff they have at doggie day care, and let them in that smaller area most times to go potty. They could play in the big area once or twice a day (or not at all on days when you finally get a big storm and it's a sea of mud) and that would cut down on the cleanup. It would be a big project but long-term it would be worth it. If they weren't in the larger area as much you might actually get grass to grow.
Eventually, I want to relocate their play area, since it's an eyesore right in the front yard. (However, right now it's really convenient because I can be lazy and just open the door and let them run in/out.) When I do that, I'll definitely try to get some grass growing again.

I thought about gravel, but worried that it might be too rough on their feet ... ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
The little round pea gravel wouldn't. If they're diggers, though, they'd dig through it easily.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM

175 posts, read 590,475 times
My life is much easier since I found Waterhog rugs Waffle Waterhog Mat, 23" x 35": Waterhog Mats at L.L.Bean-
I first bought one of these from LLBean for right inside my sunroom door and it was pricey but it really helped. The dirt sticks to it and the dogs do not drag it into the rest of the house. THEN I found a large 4' x 6' one at Costco to put outside on the porch. Now that one traps most of the dirt before they even come in. The one from Costco is a different brand name but it works the same and it was under $20.00. I love them and I have many people ask where I got them.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Why don't you just fix the whole dirt problem then you won't need to clean them off.
I think that if you have at least one dog who is in the yard a lot, it's impossible to "fix the whole dirt problem."

Artie is 35 pounds (smaller than the dogs that have been mentioned) and is a single pup (contrary to the multiple dogs that have been mentioned) and even he runs around and plays enough to have turned our old yard and this yard into a mess. As long as you have one dog that runs around in the yard, you're going to have grass pulled up. And that means dirt. And when it rains, that means mud.

Fixing it (in terms of seeding and/or sod) is time-intensive and/or expensive... and there's no point, really, because it's just going to happen again, in very short order.

Putting rocks or pebbles or whatever is somewhat of a solution, but that's typically not pretty or is not conducive to the dog's activities.

I see it as a choice:

1. I can have a beautiful lawn and no dog.
2. I can have a beautiful lawn and a dog who is not allowed to run around and have fun in the yard.
3. I can have a not-so-nice lawn and a dog who has THE BEST TIME EVER, and I just have to do a little cleanup every time he comes inside.

I chose Option 3. That's not a choice that everyone loves, but that's the choice that I made.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM

203 posts, read 517,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
3. I can have a not-so-nice lawn and a dog who has THE BEST TIME EVER, and I just have to do a little cleanup every time he comes inside.
This is the option I have stuck with as well, lol. It doesn't rain too much here to worry about, but if I were OP I would try to use turfgrass or ole mud flaps from 18 wheelers. My grandparents have used mud flaps before and it seems to work pretty well, they are too heavy to be moved around.... though I would glue some turf grass onto them before laying them out.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
My choice too - absolutely. When I lose a dog, will the grass really be the first thing on my mind? Or the mess they made?

Inconvenient? Yes. Time-consuming? Surely. Would I make the trade? Nope.

The problem is dirty dogs and how they track it in. I don't really see a solution - again, if there's anything out there I'm all ears. With 7 dogs I need a very large area for them to run. Every possible solution is also very expensive.

I think if I only had one dog I might make a pit of sorts at the bottom of the deck stairs and fill it with pea gravel, deeply enough that the water drained, and hope that was the answer. Might be for some folks. Our stairs are 26 feet wide; we live in an area where there's no way to get a truck to the back of our house. I'm too old and crabby to wheelbarrow that much pea gravel to the back, but young enough to vacuum and mop every day!

And I wonder why my friends think I'm a little bit crazy?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM

203 posts, read 517,729 times
Oh, derp, I failed to mention how I clean my dog if he is messy. I have a bucket with water and a towel in the garage. When he comes in I use the wet towel to get off the mud/dirt then use a smaller dry towel to get him "dry". He has short-ish hair so it doesn't mat up when he comes in.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,381,113 times
Well I guess everyone is convinced that having turfgrass and dogs are mutually exclusive even though there's dog parks all over the country that have lots of large dogs playing in them and many of them successfully grow grass. And never mind dog parks, there's human athletic fields that are somehow able to grow grass despite having humans (who weigh a lot more than dogs) using those fields. Yes, maintaining a lawn is work and it costs money... but what part of home maintenance doesn't? I guess if OP is interested, post the question in the garden forum. To help, your location, site and soil conditions and the type of grass you've used in the past will be needed. It's true that not all sites are conducive to growing a lawn however in those cases there are alternative ground covers. And in the case of unwanted digging, you can train your dogs not to do that or to do it only in certain places. Often times that's originally done out of boredom and becomes an unwanted habit not unlike rummaging through the trash. The yard can be like yet another room of the house where certain behavior is allowed and other behavior is not allowed.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,842,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I guess if OP is interested, post the question in the garden forum.
That's not the information I'm looking for -- all I wanted was some tips for keeping the doggy dirt out of the house.

Thanks, though.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Y'know, the towel thing works fine for me. Actually, it works well.

But there have been times, especially when my hardwood floors look carpeted (from Artie's fur), that I think how amazing it would be to be able to flip a switch and a "whole-house vacuum system" (should be trademarked, no?) kicks in and just super-sucks all the "stuff" into some giant canister in the attic.

This, however, isn't feasible, I know, because the canister would then contain: Artie's toys, books left on the coffee table, random knick-knacks, shoes, perhaps some clothes, everything on the kitchen counters, etc...

I need to work out on the kinks, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs