Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,834 times

Advertisements

I've split this off from another post on a dog lunging while on lead so we don't get too many convos going at one time. Sorry if there was any confusion. Sam

Hello, I just adopted a 2 year old male Jack Russell terrier. He is fairly trained and not aggressive, but he is way too sociable. When he sees a human or a dog he runs to play with them, but at times this leads to a lot of trouble - screaming, scared children, and even worse bigger dogs, that are not that much into playing and start a fight. When a dog starts growling at him when he approaches he is ready to attack and does not run away! Any tips? Please, help, I don't want my dog to be bitten because he is way too friendly and playful with everybody!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Mod note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM

8,587 posts, read 11,020,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowery View Post
Hello, I just adopted a 2 year old male Jack Russell terrier. He is fairly trained and not aggressive, but he is way too sociable. When he sees a human or a dog he runs to play with them, but at times this leads to a lot of trouble - screaming, scared children, and even worse bigger dogs, that are not that much into playing and start a fight. When a dog starts growling at him when he approaches he is ready to attack and does not run away! Any tips? Please, help, I don't want my dog to be bitten because he is way too friendly and playful with everybody!
"He runs to play with them".
This indicates your dog is off leash.
If you want to put a stop to this, keep your dog leashed.
Bob.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,888,676 times
LEASH your dog! the only place your dog should be offleash is in a dog park where its specifically allowed or in your fenced back yard.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,696,185 times
Quote:
Your dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

As others have said, LEASH!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,309,922 times
Yeh, I agree with the above,and not just for your dogs sake, but for the sake of those "screaming, scared children".

Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,261,338 times
Quote:
I've split this off from another post on a dog lunging while on lead so we don't get too many convos going at one time. Sorry if there was any confusion. Sam

Have him on a leash, especially since you know this...it may save his life. Ask small children if you can approach them, or vice versa. Make him sit, then allow them to come to him. If you've adopted him he just needs some manners. Pet Co where I live offers obedience training classes free. Check for those free clsses. If you are at a dog park, where it is allowed to be unleashed, them let him go. Other dogs will probably warn him away if they are not liking his approach. IMO no such thing as too sociable. Enjoy your new dog

Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,834 times
Default Is my dog too friendly?

Hello, just to make things clear he is always on a leash, I got him a long, couple of feet, leash, so he can run around as he is so full of energy. But it is just too hard to keep him away from every single dog or person passing by..he starts pulling terribly and jumping. It is out of the question to let him off a leash, especially in a dog park full of dogs. I have decided to castrate him and hope he will calm down a bit..Thank you all for the input

Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times
If you cannot control your dog, even on a leash the dog definitely controls that household not the human and having him neutered will NOT calm him down, it will just ensure he does not breed.

Shorten the leash and learn how to properly control your dog, otherwise you probably should not own an animal outside of a fish who does not need a leash, does not need a walk, and can be controlled in a very small space.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,290,241 times
Neutering your dog may be of small benefit - but I'm sorry to say the problem probably lies on the other end of the leash. I'm not suggesting a surgical procedure for you, by the way!

Flowery - get that dog into obedience training. NOW. That's the first thing they teach, how to control your dog on a leash, have him walk in a civilized fashion, and focus on you more than what is going on about him.

I'm a bit confused by your post - first you say he wants to play with all other dogs, then you say he wants to attack if another dog low growls him. I suspect - don't know, but I suspect - that he needs to be put in his place by another dog. Or by something or someone - I'm not trying to be ugly, but he's doing as he pleases on lead, he thinks he can do as he pleases anywhere. The boy just doesn't have any manners - he's like an 8-year-old human boy with no parents, no social manners, and no internal check system. He's just barreling through life and is going to end up (just like the human kid) in a situation he cannot manage.

Don't set your dog up to fail. You cannot fault the dog if he's never been given guidelines. Give him the structure he needs. Get him into puppy obedience - if you have to follow with another year of remedial obedience, that's okay. It will bond that dog to you like nothing else and both of you will relax and learn to follow the other's cues. Get some high quality, high value treats, get in class, and watch what happens. You may find you want to follow this with rally or flyball or something else because it is so cool to watch your dog fall into step.

The other thing I'd suggest, particularly since this is a JRT, is a LOT of exercise. These are generally very energetic dogs. As has been said so many times in this forum, a tired dog is a good dog. Walk that boy for a very long time, then put him on a short lead and walk him past people and other dogs. You may see less of a reaction from him if he is tired. Carry treats - make him stop, sit, look at you when it appears he's getting ready to try to bust away from you. Short lead - 3 feet or less - and for a while just tell people no, you cannot approach my dog, he's in training. You will learn very quickly how to redirect, and your dog may learn faster than you do that a scrumptious morsel is his for the taking if he only does as you ask!

Neutering alone is not going to help as much as you are hoping for. This is going to take some concerted effort on your part, but JRTs are very smart dogs. It may not take as much time as you think for him to fall into line, but it will require consistency on your part and a commitment to making him the best dog he can be.

Dog ownership sometimes is not for the faint of heart, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs