Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times

Advertisements

We have a dog who was attacked by a pit bull at a dog beach when she was a puppy. We think this is why she attacks any dog that comes near her (except puppies and a few other excptions). At the same beach a year or two later an unleasehd little yappy dog ran up and bit her leg. She was big by then. She dragged me face down through the sand for about 50 yards charging after that little rat as I clung to her lead. After that we stopped taking her out where other dogs would be and when we walk her, we avoid any other dogs.

In our case, we had an adult mastiff who grabbed the pit bull and flung it into the ocean. If he was not there, the pit probably would have killed our little puppy. Our mastiff was always great with other dogs except the one attacking his new little sister. That pit bull did not come back for more when he arrived, it was kind of cool (Tigger was pushing 190 at times).

Not really relevant to you other than to say you may need to watch your dog around other dogs in the future. Our dog now seems to think that if any other dogs are dead, there is no chance they will attack her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Katie my corgi has a fear aggressive thing for dogs bigger than her! I believe she was attached by a bigger dog before I got her at 4 months old.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,558,281 times
My dog, Katie the beagle, is shy and hesitant around meeting new dogs. She likes to sniff first and gradually get closer to see if it is ok. She will not run up and directly approach another dog. She usually backs up. She is the same way with people, except for kids. She absolutely adores kids. We adopted her at 18 months old and she is 3 now. Her previous owner passed away. She was very well trained when we got her.

I bought my pepper spray today. The clerk at the Army Navy Store where I bought it said that the postal carriers have used it on several breeds of dogs and it does work. Hopefully I will never have to use it. It is legal in FL and not in some other states. I live in FL.

I did get a call today from the landlords Broker who I sent an email to. Her office contacted me today to inform me that their attorney will be sending a letter to the tenants to see if we can get the issue resolved. I will post more when I know more.

I really, truly appreciate the thoughts, concerns and suggestions of everyone. I love City-Data. It has helped me in so many ways to learn so many things. What a great forum for chatting.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
My dog, Katie the beagle, is shy and hesitant around meeting new dogs. She likes to sniff first and gradually get closer to see if it is ok. She will not run up and directly approach another dog. She usually backs up. She is the same way with people, except for kids. She absolutely adores kids. We adopted her at 18 months old and she is 3 now. Her previous owner passed away. She was very well trained when we got her.

I bought my pepper spray today. The clerk at the Army Navy Store where I bought it said that the postal carriers have used it on several breeds of dogs and it does work. Hopefully I will never have to use it. It is legal in FL and not in some other states. I live in FL.

I did get a call today from the landlords Broker who I sent an email to. Her office contacted me today to inform me that their attorney will be sending a letter to the tenants to see if we can get the issue resolved. I will post more when I know more.

I really, truly appreciate the thoughts, concerns and suggestions of everyone. I love City-Data. It has helped me in so many ways to learn so many things. What a great forum for chatting.
Wonderful....at least something is being done from their side. I would ask the Broker that they CC you a copy of the letter..."for your documentation file that you are keeping per this situation"...I would drop them a note stated just that way asap.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,550 times
First of all, it does not matter that the dogs are Pit bulls. This could have been any breed of dog who did this. If you are were unaware of the fact that the other person's dog does not like other dogs, who really could have known what would happen.

The other dog was on a leash, was the person walking the dog big enough to control the dog, had the leash not broke?

Please don't stereo type the breed. It appears this was an accident, the dog was not roaming, the leash broke. Now that you know how the dog behaves, there are things you can do to prevent it from happening again. Don't just point the finger at the other dog owner. Take responsibility yourself. Take the time to go talk to the neighbor who owns the dog. Tell them you are fearful. Ask if they would consider walking their dog with a muzzle. Choose times when you can each walk your dogs and not be out at the same time of day. Walk your dog in another area, just another block over. There are many things you can do. Communication is the key.

If the neighbor came to check if you and your dog were okay, it seems maybe she would be willing to ease your fear.

Carry a whistle or mace is another option.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
First of all, it does not matter that the dogs are Pit bulls. This could have been any breed of dog who did this. If you are were unaware of the fact that the other person's dog does not like other dogs, who really could have known what would happen.

The other dog was on a leash, was the person walking the dog big enough to control the dog, had the leash not broke?

Please don't stereo type the breed. It appears this was an accident, the dog was not roaming, the leash broke. Now that you know how the dog behaves, there are things you can do to prevent it from happening again. Don't just point the finger at the other dog owner. Take responsibility yourself. Take the time to go talk to the neighbor who owns the dog. Tell them you are fearful. Ask if they would consider walking their dog with a muzzle. Choose times when you can each walk your dogs and not be out at the same time of day. Walk your dog in another area, just another block over. There are many things you can do. Communication is the key.

If the neighbor came to check if you and your dog were okay, it seems maybe she would be willing to ease your fear.

My boyfriend has gone over and spoken to the neighors. She is being vindictive because I called animal control. She flaunts the dog in front of my house even after she absolutely knows how fearful I am of that dog and even after it broke the leash and ran after me and my dog. The 6 year old boy next door was walking the dog when it broke the leash. The leash did not just come out of his hand, it actually broke. The owner cannot even hold that dog herself. I have seen it tug her many times, let alone her two sons 6 and 8, who sometimes take the dog to walk. She has plenty of other places to walk that dog other than in front of my home and directly across from my driveway and mailbox. She also owns 2 other pit bulls. All three of them jump the fence and come into my yard. So they do roam. It was not roaming when the incident happened, but they do get out and roam on their own without supervision. My mom was dog sitting for my dog last week while I was out of town and she saw the dogs roaming and walking down the middle of the road more than one time. She was here at my house with her small dog too. She would not go outside until they were brought back in. I have seen my other neighbor across the streeet round up the dogs and bring them back home. He calls them over and knocks on their door so that they know the dogs are out. This woman that owns these dogs next door also beats them with a leash when they get out. She will grab them by the collar and drag them back to her yard and beat them. That is abuse and is not the way to train a dog.

My boyfriend asked her what she plans to do with the dog that chased us and bit my dog in the butt and she said nothing. She is just going to do what she always does. She called me psycho and has no regard or respect for me and my feelings. When she came over to check on me and my dog, she was only concerned that I wouldn't report her. The owner of the dog proved that after the incident when she said to my boyfriend, "I even went over and talked with her after the incident and she still called animal control."

You can take the word pit bull out of all of my statements, I don't care. The issue is still what happened and should not be happening and I shouldn't be afraid to walk out of my own home. It is not about the breed of dog at all. It is the situation at hand.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post

You really needed to read the whole thread. The person walking the dog was a 6 yr old child...and the dog broke the leash lunging at the OP and her dog, biting the dog even after the OP had picked her dog up and was holding her in her arms. Uninformed and accusatory posts are really not necessary...The OP has been very proactively seeking a resolution, but you can't have those productive discussions w/ an owner like her next door neighbor.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM

I apologize for not reading the entire thread. I realize you are in a different state, I did read that much of of the thread. Perhaps another option is a public nuisance hearing. Talk to a few neighbors and have the dogs be a public nuisance. (If you have dangerous dog laws, the public nuisance usually goes hand in hand)

No reason you should be living in fear, people like your neighbors should not own dogs. Good luck with the situation.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You really needed to read the whole thread. The person walking the dog was a 6 yr old child...and the dog broke the leash lunging at the OP and her dog, biting the dog even after the OP had picked her dog up and was holding her in her arms. Uninformed and accusatory posts are really not necessary...The OP has been very proactively seeking a resolution, but you can't have those productive discussions w/ an owner like her next door neighbor.
Jan, if a six year old child was walking the dog, I really doubt the child could have controlled (held the dog back) enough for a leash to break. I am 130 lbs. I can not hold my 110 lb dog should he choose to run after something. But the leash would never break, I either get dragged, or I let go of the leash if I am able. I don't see a 6 year old being strong enough to hold a leash till it breaks. I was trying to be productive and help her resolve her situation. But, hey, thank you for your constructive input Jan.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:01 AM

The day these neighbors moved in I walked over to their house and introduced myself. I gave them my contact information (phone #) and said to contact us if they needed anything. My boyfriend has every tool imaginable because he is a contractor and if they needed to borrow something just ask. Before any of this dog stuff happened these people have never made an attempt to be friendly toward us. I say hi to them and their sons and they never say hi back. My boyfriend says hello and waves at them and they never respond. They just choose not to be neighborly PERIOD. That is just the way they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs