Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:03 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times

Advertisements

OP, it appears there are folks w/ the same doubting and dismissive attitude as your neighbor on your thread. ..I hope things go better after the LL gets a notice to your neighbors. Please keep us updated, this is a problem many folks have in their neighborhoods judging by the CDC pages on dog attacks. Hoping you'll get a supportive response w/ LL on your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,558,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP, it appears there are folks w/ the same doubting and dismissive attitude as your neighbor on your thread. ..I hope things go better after the LL gets a notice to your neighbors. Please keep us updated, this is a problem many folks have in their neighborhoods judging by the CDC pages on dog attacks. Hoping you'll get a supportive response w/ LL on your side.
Thanks. I also thank everyone else. I think I am done with this thread. I have enough information to move forward and do what I think is right for me.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,558,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
Jan, if a six year old child was walking the dog, I really doubt the child could have controlled (held the dog back) enough for a leash to break. I am 130 lbs. I can not hold my 110 lb dog should he choose to run after something. But the leash would never break, I either get dragged, or I let go of the leash if I am able. I don't see a 6 year old being strong enough to hold a leash till it breaks. I was trying to be productive and help her resolve her situation. But, hey, thank you for your constructive input Jan.
The leash did break. They brought it over and showed it to me. It was the kind that is a retractable leash which only has a thinner type string and then it leads to a thicker short lead. It broke where the string part meets the larger lead. Apparently a retractable leash is not the kind they should be using on such a strong dog.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,610,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
The leash did break. They brought it over and showed it to me. It was the kind that is a retractable leash which only has a thinner type string and then it leads to a thicker short lead. It broke where the string part meets the larger lead. Apparently a retractable leash is not the kind they should be using on such a strong dog.
Oh my - retractable leash AND a six year old holding the leash AND a very strong dog? That's the trifecta. UGH. I've seen those things break so many times, or just torn out of adult hands as the dog runs off with it trailing...unreal.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Oh my - retractable leash AND a six year old holding the leash AND a very strong dog? That's the trifecta. UGH. I've seen those things break so many times, or just torn out of adult hands as the dog runs off with it trailing...unreal.
^^THIS^^

I HATEretractable leashes with all my heart and wish they could be banned outside of large parks! Those things are a menace to society-people don't know how to use them properly and they create ill mannered dogs.

TamRE, take comfort in the thought that these people are just renters. Ignore them and keep going after the landlord, broker, even the insurance company if you know which one it is. Keep complaining to animal control. In time, the landlord/owner of the house WILL start facing fines and major penalties and will hopefully evict your neighbors or make them move. Sadly it may take time, but hopefully if the owner of the house is reasonable, you can have a sit down with him and discuss future renters and modifications, like better fencing, to make sure everyone is happy.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I was dragged about 30 - 100 yards face down through the sand at a beach while clinging to one of those. It did not break (the collar did finally). I am older than 6 and weigh more than 200. Not all of them are flimsy.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
I have a Ribbon type retractable leash... its 7 yrs onld still going strong! So depends on what you buy! I Never even for Lady who is all if 7.5#s use one of those string retractable! My neighbor has a ribbon BUT the hook is Plastic!!! Makes no sence since that plastic can break!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I was dragged about 30 - 100 yards face down through the sand at a beach while clinging to one of those. It did not break (the collar did finally). I am older than 6 and weigh more than 200. Not all of them are flimsy.
When you've got a 6 year old walking a big dog on a retractable leash, and the dog takes off, one of two bad things can happen. Either the leash breaks, as it did here, or the dog hits the end of the leash, it doesn't break, the laws of physics kick in, and the kid gets a faceburger, or worse.
The main point is, though a 6 year old and a dog shouldn't be out of their yard alone.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,604,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
When you've got a 6 year old walking a big dog on a retractable leash, and the dog takes off, one of two bad things can happen. Either the leash breaks, as it did here, or the dog hits the end of the leash, it doesn't break, the laws of physics kick in, and the kid gets a faceburger, or worse.
The main point is, though a 6 year old and a dog shouldn't be out of their yard alone.

A six year old shouldn't be alone with a dog, regardless of whether they are in the yard or out of the yard.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM

233 posts, read 445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
My dog, Katie the beagle, is shy and hesitant around meeting new dogs. She likes to sniff first and gradually get closer to see if it is ok. She will not run up and directly approach another dog. She usually backs up. She is the same way with people, except for kids.
This doesn't really solve your problem with your neighbors, but until then can you take Katie to a dog park near you? A lot of the ones I've been to have two areas, one for large/active dogs and one for small/calmer dogs. Usually the people at dog parks are friendly and most are good dog parents who don't tolerate aggressive behavior from their dogs. Katie might benefit from socializing with new dogs/people frequently and build some confidence in herself. When she gets comfortable with being there, she can run around as much as she wants and get all of her energy out. If she is really timid, you could even keep her on leash the first in there and stick close to her. Plus, you can always leave at anytime.

As far as your neighbors go, don't let them intimidate you. It sounds like they are just being bullies, and are getting satisfaction of making you a prisoner in your own home. Make a big display out of checking your mail. Sit on your porch and read the paper. Garden in the front yard. Edge your lawn. Clean out your car in the driveway. Make sure to have your pepper spray with you. I'd personally keep a pocket knife on me too. Get out there as much as possible and show them you aren't scared. Keep your cell phone and camera with you, and call/photograph every example of those dogs roaming around. Let your neighbor know that you are a homeowner and you care about your neighborhood, so if calling animal control on them every time you see their dog loose is what you have to do, you'll do whatever you darn well please.

Good luck with everything. I know what it is like to be scared after a dog attacks you/your pet. A few years ago a loose pit attacked me while I was out walking my golden retriever. My sweet dog stepped in front of me to protect me. The pit chomped down on his neck, and unfortunately the only option was for my husband to stab the other dog with his pocket knife to get him off of our dog who was whimpering. My heart broke to see another animal in pain, and I cried because all I could do was watch him limp away and fall down. I called the police and animal control who took it from there, while we took our dog to the vet. I was back out walking my dog within a few days without fear. If anything, I felt incredibly guilty and sad for the other poor dog. The point is, don't let your fear prevent you from doing normal activities. Get back out there.

And no, I don't have a prejudice against pit bulls. It just happened to be the breed that attacked me; there are a ton of those kinds of dogs in Arizona. Which is probably why my rescue dog Coconino is part pit. I couldn't love him more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs