Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times

Advertisements

I've seen you and others posting about people who let their dogs run leash-free, but thankfully I've never seen it where I live. We are a very doggie-centric neighborhood, with everyone out walking their dogs in the neighborhood. There is one guy that lets his dog off the leash, but it is a very old, very obedient dog that just walks slowly at his heel. No one has a problem with it, because the dog has never been a problem, and it never leaves his side. I think it's blind too.

I would be too afraid of a dog getting hit by a car to even consider letting mine off the leash when out in public.

I didn't realize this was a widespread problem in other places. People are stupid. Like the ones who let their cats out to roam the neighborhoods (and get run over).

Maybe we can get stupid people to wear the yellow ribbons? That way we'll be able to identify them easier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,046,982 times
On the DINOS site you can buy shirts, etc that say that your dog needs space.
It's a good site.

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/

http://notesfromadogwalker.files.wor...anner_horz.jpg

Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Wow, I've never heard of the term DINOS before! I think I'm a PINOS. Do they have t-shirts for that?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
That makes sense, RED- Stop, warning. Green, Go Ahead. Sam, would have had a green ribbon...RIP Sam.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've seen you and others posting about people who let their dogs run leash-free, but thankfully I've never seen it where I live. We are a very doggie-centric neighborhood, with everyone out walking their dogs in the neighborhood. There is one guy that lets his dog off the leash, but it is a very old, very obedient dog that just walks slowly at his heel. No one has a problem with it, because the dog has never been a problem, and it never leaves his side. I think it's blind too.

I would be too afraid of a dog getting hit by a car to even consider letting mine off the leash when out in public.

I didn't realize this was a widespread problem in other places. People are stupid. Like the ones who let their cats out to roam the neighborhoods (and get run over).

Maybe we can get stupid people to wear the yellow ribbons? That way we'll be able to identify them easier!

Wow wish I live where you do when I had Jazz as we could not go for a walk anywhere without running into off leash dogs. And so many of the people did not even have a leash on them. I have seen people get tickets for off leash dogs then as soon as the officer leaves the leash comes back off. I Also see many of these people claiming to have voice control of the dog then when it darts away and does not come back when called they claim " He has never done that before, he ALWAYS comes when called" ......Yeah right maybe in their dreams! I am all for off leash activities for dogs when they are done in areas set aside for such but when you are not in such an area your dog belongs on a leash no matter how friendly it is.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I need a flashing red light for one of our dogs. People are fine, but if you approach with another dog- she is probably going to kill the dog. Woudl a flashing red light work? Our solution is to just keep her home.
Didn't you just adopt a puppy? With a dog aggressive dog in the household?

Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Wow wish I live where you do when I had Jazz as we could not go for a walk anywhere without running into off leash dogs. And so many of the people did not even have a leash on them. I have seen people get tickets for off leash dogs then as soon as the officer leaves the leash comes back off. I Also see many of these people claiming to have voice control of the dog then when it darts away and does not come back when called they claim " He has never done that before, he ALWAYS comes when called" ......Yeah right maybe in their dreams! I am all for off leash activities for dogs when they are done in areas set aside for such but when you are not in such an area your dog belongs on a leash no matter how friendly it is.
Ah, I see you live on the planet of California. That might explain it. You might discover more sanity, or at least more pockets of it, on our planet called "Earth."

Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
I don't know, I live in the Midwest and there are plenty of off leash dogs. Drives me and my dogs nuts.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM

This off-leash thing makes no sense to me. To go walking the dog without a leash isn't really "walking the dog" so much as just "walking." Or "walking in the vicinity of a dog." They probably want to have both hands free for important things like texting.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
What used to get me the maddest was a nature preserve near where I used to live. There was a path through prairie where birds were nesting in the grasses in the spring.
It was for walkers and bikers too. When a bike was coming and I'd pull my dog off out of the way, they always looked so relieved and happy you could tell it wasn't the norm. It was such a nice place except you never knew when a dog would come barging up on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs