Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,679,825 times

Advertisements

If you are one to do things "by the book" you might want to check with your city before running a hot wire...some communities don't allow that. If allowed its a great idea though.

Cayote rollers on top of the wall MIGHT work too if there is a way to install them on that type of wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If you are one to do things "by the book" you might want to check with your city before running a hot wire...some communities don't allow that. If allowed its a great idea though.

Cayote rollers on top of the wall MIGHT work too if there is a way to install them on that type of wall.
It may be a little late for this suggestion but have you tried making friends with the dogs? I know it might sound crazy but teh rep that Rotties have gotten is terribly skewed. Rotties can be excellent with small dogs. The humans are a lost cause and deserve whatever hell you give them but the dogs may be reaching out for contact rather than aggression. Just something to think about!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times
Here's an even crazier and just as good and ten times as cheap suggestion - duct tape with Coke cans attached. Put it sticky side up on the top of the concrete wall - when Rover touches it he will bring it all crashing down....worked for the counter surfers in our house, as long as it isn't raining I can't see what the problem would be as far as effectiveness.

I would also second what Va-Cat has said - I have Rotties that live with a silky terrier, a very small mutt, and a Shih Tzu. It may be that he is growling and barking in more of a playful manner than you first thought, although I will admit that a Rottie bark or growl can be intimidating.

The people? Hopeless - and because they are hopeless, I suspect the poor dog isn't the friendliest sort - ugh. Neighbors from hell. I'm so sorry.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,554,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
If I may ask, what type of electric fence did you use? Also, which store did you purchase it? Thanks!
I have one similar to Driller's link. I got it and all the connectors through Amazon. You'll need a grounding rod too, which I got at Home Depot.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,554,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
definatly keep calling...eventually the cops will have to issue a citation.

akck, im not sure how YOUR electric fence works but a livestockfence does not need a ground wire, assuming the dogs feet are touching the ground on the other side (and assuming the dog is not floating then his back feet are touching the ground. the ogs nose touching the hot line and his feet touching the ground completes the circuit.
You're right. I was thinking her problem was similar to my problem. With the wire being at the top of the fence, the dog won't be touching the ground when he jumps over. I have a 6' wood fence and the only way to ensure a ground contact was to put a ground wire about mid-way up. We do have some wire fence so no ground wire needed there. I don't think I'd count on concrete blocks being a good ground.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
BEFORE you do something so harsh as eletrocute the dog How about a squirt bottle & Vinagar Water! for distance go to pool or toy section get a Supper Soaker! EVERYtime the dog pops up hit him with it! Since your scared to leave your dogs out I thinking this would not be hard for you to do since your outside anyway. I betting after a few hits he will get the message.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
BEFORE you do something so harsh as eletrocute the dog How about a squirt bottle & Vinagar Water! for distance go to pool or toy section get a Supper Soaker! EVERYtime the dog pops up hit him with it! Since your scared to leave your dogs out I thinking this would not be hard for you to do since your outside anyway. I betting after a few hits he will get the message.
I wouldn't do this to someone else's dog. It will just be perceived by the dog as an aggressive act. The electric line will seem more like an "act of God" that just makes the dog think, well I don't want to do that again!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
So will the spray... Dog wont think she had anything to do with it IF she already out side & doesnt say anything.

I cant Believe how many Dog lovers on here WANT her to Shock the dog instead of just soaking it!!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
1: your talking like an electric fence is like an electric chair...ive been zapped by my fence, dozers been zapped by my fence,the cat and the neighbors dog have been zpped by my fence...
it STINGS, but it leaves no lasting damage (vinegar even in a midl solution in the eyes however stings for a WHOLE lot longer than a quick zap from a low impedence fence)

2: ive known MANY an agressive dog who becomes MORE agressive when sprayed with a squire bottle...theres something about the water that simply arivates them more....

3: being srayed with a squirt bottle can actually become a legal problem, the op would be DIRECTLY HARRASSING the dog by spraying it...if the dogs oners could prve this that then lands the OP in hot water...an electric fence assuming properly marked(signs/yellow hang tags ect) is NOT considered harrasment ect, if the dog (or a person) touches it, it was not the OP's fault...the op squirts the dog hwoever that IS adirect "attack" from the OP.

(assuming a strand of hot wire is LEGAL in the op's area)

a hotwire is a much SAFER means of ensuring the dog stays off the wall and discourages the jumping and would not be consiered harrasment or agitation of the dog by law.

id much rather have my electric fence and known that the neighbors dog HAS been zaped by it and no respects it...than know one day i might actually have to unload a 22 into its skull because its attacking my goats, ducks, geese rabbits or dogs...hes already proven to be hihly dog agressive and ive no doubt hed kill the goats...so if an electric fence means he stays away from my property and i dont have to SHOOT him...then id much rather have him get zapped once or twice....

This dog is also one of those dogs who is simply MORE agrivated by "water" he attacked my fence before the electric and spraying him ith both vinegar water AND a hose pipe simply made him MORE agressive at the fenceline...
since putting in the hot wire, that dog no longer comes anywhere close...Since the op stated they are moving soon this is also a very easy to instal easily removed and EFFECTIVE solution.

And yes AKCK you are right if the dog is actually jumping at the wall you would need a secondwire to ground it as the regular system is only effective if part of the animal is touching the ground at the same time its touching the wire from what the op described though it seems that the dog isnt actvly "jumping" at the wall but instead standing so his head is onto f the wall and his feet are on the round which on the neighbors side is aparently a few ft higher than the ops side.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
When I was a kid we would grab the hot wire and a friend at the same time.

They would get the "poke" but, we could feel a little "tingle" going though us. LOL LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs