Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,169 times

Advertisements

I have two poodles , one is 2yo tiny toy and the other is 14yo miniature. I have made two appt and broken them each time for euthanasia of my oldest baby. She suffers from Cushings and is twice the weight she should be due to the disease so her joints have taken a beating. Up until the past 3 days she has gotten around slowly and would get up to go pee but Friday she was extremely weak and wobbly and when we tried to pick her up she tried to snap and was obviously hurting and started peeing where she is sitting so we have her on a waterproof type bedding and are bathing her each time she goes which is obviously uncomfortable because we have to pick her up. Now she has no use of her back legs and is sleeping alot. I wake her up to make sure she drinks water and have been giving her all her favorites (chicken breast meat) that I usually sparingly give her. She is usually on Fromm surf & turf grainless but will not eat it. Maybe the fact she stopped eating her kibble was her way of telling me she was done but she perks up when I feed her chicken. The vet says probably time but she is so alert at times and follows me with her head & eyes then I back out and won't do it. Has anyone put their dog down that obviously was aware of what was going on but their body just gave out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM

I have a nother appt today in 3 hours. I don't know what the right thing is. I keep talking to her and apologizing and asking her for a sign. I sound silly but seriously don't know what to do.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,092 times
I have never had to make that choice. Unfortunately I know the time is coming as I have a senior dog.

I hope these words will help you.

PUT ME TO REST

Time to let me go my friend,Because my life no-one can mend,Its better to let me go this way,Than watch me suffer night and day.

I’m happy to go, my time has come,My quality of life is no longer fun,Ive been so ill, so its not a bad thing,To let me go forever resting.

Stay with me till I drift away,Fast asleep forever I pray,To relieve me from suffering and pain,What more can I ask from my best friend.

Don’t be sad, I’ll be free from pain,Never to be ill ever again,I know you’ll miss me being there,But all the memories you have to share.

Thankyou for being my best friend,And all my needs that you did tend,Try not to be sad, try not to cry,Now’s the time to say GOODBYE

If it should be

If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand;

Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -

What is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so;

The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend

And please stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you

Who had this painful thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years -

Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
I think by your dog's actions, she is telling you it is time (snapping at you and not eating regular food). Most of us have faced the same decision and it is hard. Knowing it's the right thing to do doesn't make it any easier, but knowing you're relieving her suffering should be of some comfort.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,653 times
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this..I don't know if it's the right time or not, but I have thought about when it will be the right time for my oldest dog, and I have decided that when he can no longer walk it will be time...

Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,092 times
I am sure other who have gone thu it, will post and help you. I don't know that I would be able to, I hope I am strong enough and that my dog gives me some sign that he is ready. I have been told when the dog can no longer enjoy the things in life, like walking, going wee, eat.. he is suffering..

Really, this is a choice you have to make based on your dog, your beliefs.

Stay strong.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I am sure other who have gone thu it, will post and help you. I don't know that I would be able to, I hope I am strong enough and that my dog gives me some sign that he is ready. I have been told when the dog can no longer enjoy the things in life, like walking, going wee, eat.. he is suffering..

Really, this is a choice you have to make based on your dog, your beliefs.

Stay strong.
I always said when she stopped walking I would put her down but I didn't anticipate her being so alert and aware. As far as her favorite toy it is a squeaky blue ball she has had since she was a puppy. She freaks out usually when it is squeaked. I squeaked it and she tried so hard to get up and go get it and gave up. It is almost like she is there and locked inside a broken body. Just talked to her and she looks up at me. I hate this!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,742 times
Some people find it helpful to make a list of everything their pet enjoys. When they can no longer do something or no longer enjoy it, cross it off the list. This gives you a visual representation of the difference between the quality of life they used to have and the quality of life they have now. I wish you all the best.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM

150 posts, read 343,908 times
I'm sorry your going through this. Most dog lovers have been in your shoes. It broke my heart to put my 12 year old cocker to sleep, but when her life her was miserable to her and I was only keeping her with me because I couldn't let go, the choice was made. I did everything you did knowing that even a few minutes of almost normal behaviour must mean that she wasn't ready. In the end, I know it was because I wasn't ready. My heart goes out to you and the terrible choices that face you. In my case, knowing that she was only here because of my heartache made the decision a little easier. When you are ready, you will know. Hugs.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I am sorry too. I've been there myself. I took a 16 yo Bichon walking freely on the leash. There was no way I was going to wait until his legs gave out or he peed all over himself. I was thinking of him and not myself.
He was almost completely blind, had arthritis so bad he could not go up and down the stairs and would cry pitifully at the bottom of the stairs when I had to leave him. He was off his food, slept most of the day and night and was starting to have accidents. I simply had to consider his quality of life and it was not good.

Most people who go thru this lament the fact they waited too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs