Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM

538 posts, read 1,013,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I have four minimum training standards that all dogs under this roof must learn:

• House train. This is the most important, as my dogs are always inside dogs
• Sit/wait for permission to eat
• Permission to exit the door to outside
• Walk like a proper lady when on the leash (I always have females). No lunging or side trips

None of these come with age. That little Maltese needs to be demoted from the alpha position, but that ain't necessarily your job yet.
I agree.

My Doberman is 21 weeks today and he knows sit, down, stay, outside, drop it, get it, come and of course "no".

I think the minimum should be sit, stay and come. Reason being, if you ever have visitors you don't want to constantly have to hold your dog down from them jumping all over company or pulling you on a leash. Smaller breed dogs can get away with it but who wants a 80-90lb dog jumping and slobering all over them when it's not theres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM

30,566 posts, read 16,259,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
So does that mean that it does or not?

The term ground tying refers to something some horses are trained to do. If you drop the reins, the horse will stay there without the reins being tied to anything.

If I dropped Jessie dog's leash, she'd stay in that spot. I don't know who taught her that but it did come in handy a few times.

I never even tried the 'sit' thing. 'No' and 'come here' were enough for us.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM

741 posts, read 1,680,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
In my personal experience, most people don't train their toy breed dogs, at least beyond the "sit in this purse" trick. A lot of small dogs out there are not trained and are allowed to get away with things that a larger dog could never get away with (e.g., jumping on people, pulling on the leash, etc). She needs to train that dog. Sure an untrained Maltese may not be as much of a menace to society as an untrained mastiff, but it won't be a good family pet and things could get problematic in the future if any behavior issues crop up (such as kids coming into the picture or if you move in and the dog reacts negatively). If she doesn't have control over than dog, then she's not the head of the pack.
SO true and you are so right. I have 3 small dogs and only one of them "sits" on command, but he certainly does not "stay", I don't really expect them to do those things, nor do I mind because small dogs are already so low to the ground they are practically sitting already

Old 09-20-2012, 07:59 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
My senior adoptees are often deaf or getting close to it, so it doesn't matter what I say (although I know my ancient cattle dog, the wonderful Ezra, could see me waving him into the house). For my old boy George, I clap my hands, which he seems to hear. Someone in Dodger's past must have taught him "go lie down," which basically means, "Stop that and go away." Dodger used to jump on me and I resorted to the water bottle. Rather quickly, all I had to do was say "Water bottle" and he'd stop. Now that he's 11, it's not an issue, but he still gets revved up around new people.

Yes, housebreaking is essential. When I get an adoptee, I take him/her out in the yard and say "Go busy" and give a lot of praise when they do, just to get them into the swing of things in their new home.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
Training sit takes about one day even with dumb dogs. With smart dogs they can learn it in half an hour.

Stay is hard. Many of our dogs never learned it.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
as others have pointed out, this is about TRAINING not ow ol the dog is...
so NO at 4 years old its NOT anything to do with the dog if it doesnt know sit ad stay, thats 100% the owners fault for not teaching it...

sit is an easy one...you could have that trained in no time...
stay can be hard, ove my 3 ive got one who wont stay no matter what ive tried, hes 4 yrs old and just not happeing.
ruby wil stay unless i leave the room...
Dozer will stay as long as im looking at him.

so this is all about what the dogs owner has taught it to do...why not be pro-active, watch some vid on youtube on how to train a dog to sit, spend the next few days doing some traiing with the dog, not only will it help you bond with the dog, but itll also impress the girlfrined when se comes home and sees the dog doing all these cute thigns it wouldnt do before, shell know you put in the effort to bond with a very imporant being in her life. i know id love it if i left my dogs in the car eof a boyfrined for a few days an came home to find my dog learnt new tricks

ust remember POSITIVE reinforcment and keep training sessions SHORT, itll take her a few tries to figure out what you want her to do. no yelling, no frustration, allways upbeat and always end the training sesion on a positive note.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,824,292 times
OP, it's not the dog should be trying to "make of," it's your GF who hasn't taken the time to do so. But as those posted above, some train, some don't. Some of mine are trained, some aren't. If they're badly behaved, they get trained.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,116,422 times
Max is a small dog but he knows sit really well...he is sketchy about stay and come. He'll stay for short periods of time. Like if we are getting ready for bed and I get him situated and then I need to go out to the kitchen for some water I can tell him to stay and not follow me and he'll listen (usually). I've been trying to teach him to shake just for fun but he's having trouble. He's so fixated on the treat I don't think he really even notices me shaking his paw, hah. I think sit and stay are the basics it's good for dogs to know. Dogs get bored and like to learn just like people so some dogs really enjoy learning new tricks and commands. Plus I think it's good doggy behavior to make him sit for treats. He has to work for it a little bit!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
House trained .... not just potty! & Come & Leave it! Are my Most important commands a dog should know!
Teaching a small dog sit/stay & down/stay are back breakers LOL So I understand why most people dont teach or inforce those commands! Kevin have been taking Lady-Bug [pap] to Obedience Class & working with her. Twice so far I had to take him to the Chriopractor!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Dogs View Point! Well I came here as a puppy right from my mom. She didnt allow me to go 2-3 ft from her! Then You tie me to you every waking hour! Now After Months of being that close to you.... You Reject me & expect me to understand WHY! What did I do wrong that now when you go into another room I supose to Stay!! Why am I Not allowed to be with you? Why are you Pushing me away? Teach me what you want... Let me know I pleased you & You will come back!!! & dont get mad IF I am confused I do want to please you! Your my world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs