Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times

Advertisements

I don't know how much I should judge my GF about this, but I've never seen a dog that old (small Maltese) who won't sit or stay when told. That should be an automatic for a dog that old.
Is it hopeless?
The only reason why it's in the back of my mind, is, it's her dog, but if we ever move in together and/or I watch the dog like I've been this week, it's just a turnoff. The dog has more positives than negatives, but, does anyone else have an adult dog that doesn't obey the sit and stay command?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
In my personal experience, most people don't train their toy breed dogs, at least beyond the "sit in this purse" trick. A lot of small dogs out there are not trained and are allowed to get away with things that a larger dog could never get away with (e.g., jumping on people, pulling on the leash, etc). She needs to train that dog. Sure an untrained Maltese may not be as much of a menace to society as an untrained mastiff, but it won't be a good family pet and things could get problematic in the future if any behavior issues crop up (such as kids coming into the picture or if you move in and the dog reacts negatively). If she doesn't have control over than dog, then she's not the head of the pack.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I don't know how much I should judge my GF about this, but I've never seen a dog that old (small Maltese) who won't sit or stay when told. That should be an automatic for a dog that old.
Is it hopeless?
No sit and stay are not automatic for a dog of any age. Dogs have to be taught obedience. If it really bothers you why don't you try teaching it sometime while time while you are watching it?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,466 times
At first I thought you were joking because I don't think too many people train their dogs to sit and stay. If you do try to train it, remember to limit training to 5 minutes a session or it's going to be pointless. Also study up on the breed as some dogs are easier to train than others.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,122,737 times
Great advice Dashdog!

Of my five adult dogs, three will sit/stay...the youngest who's almost four will sit but won't stay if I leave the room. He loves his momma.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
To me, housebreaking is the minimum training required. Also, maybe responding to "No!" if they're getting into something.
Hey, I'm easy.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 AM

30,555 posts, read 16,247,641 times
I agree with brightdoglover. I never trained any of my dogs to sit/stay. Of course, I only got one as a puppy. The others were 3, 9, and 11.

I did have one that would ground tie tho'. go figure.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,532,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree with brightdoglover. I never trained any of my dogs to sit/stay. Of course, I only got one as a puppy. The others were 3, 9, and 11.

I did have one that would ground tie tho'. go figure.
So does that mean that it does or not?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
sounds like OP thinks sit and stay come with age. not to be snarky, but have you had any experience with dogs and training? sounds not likely to me. Training dogs needs some sort of preparation and study and you could really mess things up if you don't do it right. Personally I would not be too comfortable with somebody coming in with a "OK I'm here now and I'm going to whip this dog in shape" attitude. If you want to make some good points and keep the relationship smooth offer to go with her to doggie obedience school and do it together as a couple.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
I have four minimum training standards that all dogs under this roof must learn:

• House train. This is the most important, as my dogs are always inside dogs
• Sit/wait for permission to eat
• Permission to exit the door to outside
• Walk like a proper lady when on the leash (I always have females). No lunging or side trips

None of these come with age. That little Maltese needs to be demoted from the alpha position, but that ain't necessarily your job yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs