Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I adopted at 7 month old dog. He had been in the pound most of his life. He was great for the first week, loving. Now he hides a lot under the love seat. He esp. does it when my boyfriend calls his name. Yet he sleeps with him and cuddles with him sometimes. Is it bad he hides all the time? We don't yell at him or hit him. He gets walks, rides in the car, treats, praise. He lives with my 3 year old maltipoo and plays with her. Sometimes he doesn't want to walk near my boyfriend. My boyfriend is the one who feeds him, walks him gives him praise. What is going on?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,451,198 times
Thank you for saving a life!
I know you realized this dog would need a little extra patience,since it missed out on living with a family so long. This is one of those times. Since it started the 2nd week,your boyfriend may have accidentally startled him, by yelling even if it wasn't at the dog, , or doing something else that made him afraid. Since he still cuddles at times, it shouldn't take too long to rebuild his trust. Your boyfriend should try to be mindful of yelling, or making loud noises or leaning over your new dog until he feels more secure. With gentle treatment, I'm sure he'll come around.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Its odd because we don't yell. We don't hover over the dog we try to let him do what he feels best.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 PM

everytime my boyfriend comes near him he pees

Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM

530 posts, read 1,132,186 times
He may have been abused by a male in the past???

Your boyfriend is going to have to "re-program" him.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,426,953 times
How long ago did you adopt this dog? It may still need some time to adjust to everything as its still "new" to the dog.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM

30,331 posts, read 23,808,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedare2 View Post
My boyfriend and I adopted at 7 month old dog. He had been in the pound most of his life. He was great for the first week, loving. Now he hides a lot under the love seat. He esp. does it when my boyfriend calls his name. Yet he sleeps with him and cuddles with him sometimes. Is it bad he hides all the time? We don't yell at him or hit him. He gets walks, rides in the car, treats, praise. He lives with my 3 year old maltipoo and plays with her. Sometimes he doesn't want to walk near my boyfriend. My boyfriend is the one who feeds him, walks him gives him praise. What is going on?!?
Yep, as someone said, you're going to have to "re-program" the pup.

That's easy to say...how do you do it?!

Ok, one thing to try: When the pup does his hiding bit, say, under the couch, have your boyfriend get the pup's favorite toy or treat and sit down on the floor near the couch, (not right next to it and in a position where the pup has an "out" if he feels he needs it). He will just sit there. Don't call for the dog or do anything, just sit there. Let the pup come to him. When the pup does, he obviously gets the treat or toy and a ticker tape parade of hugs and kisses. Your boyfriend needs to be extremely patient with this. It could take 5 minutes, it could take 5 hours. He needs to teach the dog to trust him and this patience will pay off. (This is just one way, not the end all, be all, only way.)

Do this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. (And by, "over and over", I don't mean the same day, I mean days and days on end, do this...your boyfriend, that is.)

Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM

That is excellent advice. I feel bad because its "my boyfriend's dog" but hes way more attached and comfortable with me. We will try that for sure!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
It's just going to take time. Some dogs like to feel protected. My hound loves being under covers or under furniture. When we adopted him from a rescue group, he was submissive and slightly timid. I think we've had him for 7 years and he still sneaks upstairs if my voice becomes slightly more intense in a discussion, no yelling, just more intense and he sneaks off. It's hillarious to watch him do it.

Let him have his space under the loveseat, don't go over and talk to him or pet him while he's there. He needs a place that's all his own where he can feel safe. Have your boyfriend do the toy treat praise thing another time, but not while he's under the loveseat.

Another thing I've noticed is common about dogs is that they tend to attach themselves to the person who is less interested. I'm saying this because your dog is attached to you but was bought for your boyfriend. That's so common. It's almost like dogs are like people who who want someone playing hard to get. The less you're going at them with your hands and in their face, the more comfortable they are.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
He may have come from a bad situation. Sounds like he is still building trust. Your boyfriend, if he is consistently nice is doing the right thing. I think eventually your dog will come out of this. Make him a quiet spot somewhere he can get away to, like a little man cave. Dogs like to have somewhere they can regroup...Yours may need this even more. A kennel, a corner area w/ an upside down box...banket down...hole cut large enough for him to go into...and just let him come and go there as he feels the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs