Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times

Advertisements

It could be the younger dog knows the older is reaching his end and is taking over. This happened to me once, and I had to send the attacking dog back to Best Friends in Utah. (She had never ever been dog aggressive before or since that one time with my little senior, whose femoral artery was ripped. He lived).
Be careful about breaking up a fight. I did have another dog, an adoptee, who was attacking the smaller dogs in the house. I thought I had it figured out, but when she went after my terrier mix, I threw a blanket over her head and pulled her collar, and she slashed my ankle down to the bone, and turned back to the terrier. I grabbed her again and fortunately she stopped. I had to call an ambulance (had daily IV antibiotics for weeks and almost osteomyelitis) and I left her in the yard for animal control to take to my vet's for quarantine. After ten days, she was put down. If I sent her back to her shelter, they'd have done the same, and she couldn't live anywhere after such dangerous attacks.
I've had multiple dogs for years now, and those are the only serious incidents I've had, but they are very cautionary. I am glad OP is protecting the senior dog. I don't know about a behaviorist. My situations were too acute and sudden to consider it.
RIP Nayla- at least you're no longer ignored in a freezing yard
I still love you, Chippy, and am glad you are happy at Best Friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,476,318 times
I had a similar situation in our family years ago and looking back, I see how I actually made the situation worse. My senior was about 7 years old when we adopted a 6 month old. It was evident that the youngster was more of a wild child but they lived and played together happily for years. We also had 4 cats at the time and I often took in friends dogs when they were out of town with absolutely no behavior issues. We then moved to another state and play/exercise time was decreased. At the same time,my senior began to show signs of her age. She had already survived cancer but she was moving slower, sleeping more. In my misguided sense of loyalty, I still treated her like the leader of the pack by feeding her first, greeting her first , etc. - all things I had always done. Looking back, I realize she could not have cared less when she got a treat or who went out the door before whom. She was winding down, just content with sleeping in the sun and snuggling up to me at night and secure in the knowledge she would be loved. The younger dog however, began to pick fights. There was never any blood but a lot of shrieking and loss of bowels. It usually took place when they were in tight quarters like a hallway. It broke my heart each and every time it happened as my stomach would lurch and tears would start to stream. The anxiety was horrible.
We kept them separated as much as possible or together when each could have a body guard so to speak. Oddly, enough to was possible for all of us to sleep together with no problems although it did worry me. My take on the change is that my younger dog was willing and able to accept the senior as her leader when she was spry and "able" but as she showed more and more signs of age and being unwell, she felt uneasy about the balance of power and felt the need to become the alpha. The change in location and routine may or may not have had an impact on the situation. I was blind to the fact that my senior was more then willing to step down and let her take over.
After the older dog was gone, the younger dog was almost instantly calmer and seemed much more secure in her place returning to her previous personality. If I had only paid more attention and granted her the alpha position earlier, I think our last few years would have been much more peaceful. Of course, this is only my theory from personal experience and I would be very interested in hearing what a professional had to say about it.
I know how tough a position you are in and I hope you find a solution that works. Good luck to you!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM

175 posts, read 315,504 times
we finally got to speak to the vet and she wants to see the aggressor dog Saturday. Apparently if her thyroid is out of wack it can cause explosive/excited bouts of aggression. Plus she has been packing on the pounds even though we monitor what the dogs eat pretty closely. I also spoke to an animal behaviorist. He pretty much said that the younger dog is pushing the older more frail dog out of the pack.

We have changed strategies on how we treat the situation. When I am a couple blocks away from home, I call. My wife puts the old guy in the bedroom with the door closed. Upon coming through the door, the younger gal gets all sorts of attention. After about 10 minutes, we just open the bedroom door. This seems to have worked for the past few days. We are also trying to respect the new pecking order. The female gets firsts on food, treats and so on.

Last night, I took a long hard look at the older guy. It is sad. We had him 17 years and he is sinking fast. When he was in his prime, as a Great Dane-German Shepard mix, he was magnificent. And an all around great guy. Now he is a shadow of his former self. His back legs are really giving out. I told the wife that there is a tough choice coming soon.

And that silly 1 yo Golden we have could care less about the whole thing.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,662 times
Sorry to hear about your old guy, but be happy you have already had him for so long. That is old for any dog and just unheard of ancient for a giant breed(or half giant anyway). Hope things work out with the 2 and the old fellow chugs around for awhile yet.

I love old dogs for some reason. Don't give up on them unless they are really sick or in pain.
I had a golden retriever that lived until 1 month shy of his 19th birthday..could barely walk or see, couldn't hear but he kept eating well, kept smiling, wasn't in any pain or anything.
Was my wifes when she was growing up..we got married at 24 and the dog was already 13 and 'supposedly' on her last legs..wifes stepmom talked her dad into putting him down because of the eye problem(and the hearing was mostly gone then too),so we said no and took the dog in to live out its last year or so..that 'last year' turned into over 5 years. The dog was probably so happy to be away from my witch of a stepmom-in-law the joy was worth 4 of them in itself.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post

Last night, I took a long hard look at the older guy. It is sad. We had him 17 years and he is sinking fast. When he was in his prime, as a Great Dane-German Shepard mix, he was magnificent. And an all around great guy. Now he is a shadow of his former self. His back legs are really giving out. I told the wife that there is a tough choice coming soon.

And that silly 1 yo Golden we have could care less about the whole thing.
Please protect the old fella, I'm getting misty just reading about him. He should have top priority status. If he still enjoys his food and can return affection, keep him around.... when he can't IMHO, that's when it's time.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
Message the dogs are getting Is YES younger one is Boss! So anytime the Younger one want attention she startsa fight knowing she going to win! Put the Younger dog in Crate Til She calms down & Behaves... Let the older one have freedom! You make You Boss! When your leaving putting up the old guy til you get home fine BUT make him the 1st you greet when you come in & release him. Older guy is getting pushed off the throne poor thing.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 PM

175 posts, read 315,504 times
Thanks for your concern and words. The best way to protect the old dog is to let the younger female be the alpha. Since we have been giving her the lead attention, things have calmed down some. We still do not trust her with him alone. It is just a fact that the dynamics of the pack has changed and it is something we as owners have to deal with. I forgot who made a statement about the alphas in the house. I am the alpha male and my wife is the alpha female. It more jockeying for who is next in line.

The old guy is eating and going outside to do his business. We will continue to pen him for his protection when we are gone. He likes it. The dog house is heated and has a nice doggie bed in it. The rest of the time, he is the house with us. He spends most of his time sleeping anyway. He does get plenty of affection from us. His place on the doggy mattress in the bedroom next to my side of the bed has not changed. He will stay with us as long as he can. It is my hope that when his time comes, he just passes peacefully in his sleep.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,476,318 times
I am happy to hear things have calmed down for you. Give the old guy a hug from me and we will all kep our fingers and toes crossed that your hope comes to pass.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
I'd be locking the mean dog....you may be reinforcing something w/out realizing it by locking the vulnerable dog up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs