Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times

Advertisements

I am unsure as to what she would do. She is pretty accepting of everyone. I think she would protect my grandson more than the rest of us. She is technically his dog and watches his every move.
Hopefully we never have to find out, as out here its one strike and you're out. One strike being the law, not my decision.

Last edited by AlisonL; 01-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: clarify that one strike is law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
More than a year ago, my dog was involved in an incident at the dog park. He was attacked by a Great Dane. The Dane (named Moose) is not a bad or mean dog, but Danes as a breed have some strong guard-dog instincts, and Moose was guarding his people-parents. Because I was standing there talking with them, Moose was guarding me as well. I called my dog to me so we could leave, and the moment he entered the circle of protection that Moose had established in his mind, Moose attacked him. There was a brief and frantic fight, but no damage done to either dog. (I blame myself for this as much as anything. I don't blame Moose. I just wasn't mindful of those guard-dog instincts that certain breeds have, since my dog has none.)

Now when we're at the dog park and Moose is there, my dog Bandit (a Siberian Husky, which is a breed that has NO guard-dog/protective instincts at all) stands between me and Moose. He doesn't hover, and I make it a point to keep my distance from Moose so that Moose won't feel the need to guard me and Bandit won't feel the need to protect me. But sometimes a close proximity is unavoidable, and at those times Bandit stays close to me. I think it's interesting that he doesn't stand behind me, with me between him and Moose. He doesn't cower and hide. He stands in front of me, so that HE'S between me and Moose. He's obviously a little anxious the whole time and he holds his body perpendicular to Moose and me -- he doesn't face Moose head-on, which would be a more dominant, aggressive position -- but he's still there...willing to protect me from a dog he perceives to be a possible threat.

That's the ONLY time I ever notice any protective behavior from my dog. Sibes as a breed don't have any natural fear or suspicion of people, and they're generally confident with other dogs. But in the case of this one "proven" threat, Bandit stays close, ready to defend.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
My Whippet protect me? Never :-) I am afraid he would hide or just pee on the floor. Now the German Shepherd I had years ago protected me ... maybe a little too much - she was such a good girl.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
I have no doubt that our dogs would protect us should the need arise. One particular dog I had did. I was trying to chase a Sharpei, that was into my garbage, out of the yard one night and the bugger turned on me. My wife let my dog out of the house and he landed right smack in the middle of him. Never saw that Sharpei again. He had been plauging us for some time before this incident. That same dog I had at the time ( I REALLY miss him) stopped a burglury cold once and I would have had to pity the fool who had any thoughts about hurting our kids. He was probably hands down the best buddy I ever had.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,307 times
Default This is what would happen in my house....

If someone broke into my house this is the animal's plan. First the big black male lab would approach the person with his tail wagging furiously. He would then start licking any part of the person that he could. While he is distracting the person with all his slobber, the 8 lbs female cat would be stalking said person from behind, jump on back and take them out. At least that's what they told me they would do.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:33 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I am unsure as to what she would do. She is pretty accepting of everyone. I think she would protect my grandson more than the rest of us. She is technically his dog and watches his every move.
Hopefully we never have to find out, as out here its one strike and you're out. One strike being the law, not my decision.
It's good that you're aware of what the laws are in your state... and what the outcome would be should something happen.

Allowing something to happen could have deadly consequences.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I always saw it as my job to protect my dog.
Exactly! They wont let me rep you anymore yet, but I agree with you 100% on that...no matter what their size!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,735 times
No doubt in my mind that ONE of my rotties will kill for ANYONE in my family, while the other will run like a big baby. TOGETHER, the one who would attack would still do it and the other one would only jump in occasionally to take a nip, but not an effective, in the end....lol

She makes it a point to keep herself between us and ANYONE who comes near. She heals whenever we are outside, and if she hears a noise she alerts and makes sure she is actually touching you while she looks to see what it is, while maintaing herself between the noise and you. She is a tough cookie My male on the other hand is the major wuss in the family, we would definitely have to protect him!

I would protect my dogs if someone were to break into my house no ifs ands or buts, but I KNOW they are going to want first dibbs on the intruder and who am I to take that away from her?

but no worried, I'll be right there with my 1911 and shotgun to help them....lol

Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegee40 View Post
if someone broke into my house this is the animal's plan. First the big black male lab would approach the person with his tail wagging furiously. He would then start licking any part of the person that he could. While he is distracting the person with all his slobber, the 8 lbs female cat would be stalking said person from behind, jump on back and take them out. At least that's what they told me they would do.
lol!:d

Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
the 8 lbs female cat would be stalking said person from behind, jump on back and take them out.
LOL. I had a cat who would sit on top of the refrigerator and smack my friend's boyfriend (at the time) in the head. Never anyone else, just him. Months later, she moved back home, away from him because he was abusing her. We did not know it at the time, but perhaps the cat sensed he was a real jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs