Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times

Advertisements

Our dogs, both 60 lbs, would protect us because if someone breaks in, I am sure they will trip over at least one of the dogs as they sleep all stretched on the floor usually in the doorways if not in front of the door. If we are on a walk, they are so happy to see people that the excitement they show and because of their size, people usually back away. They like making new friends. No, I really believe that in a pinch they would come through because they are really in tune with my emotions. I would definitely protect them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Sadly, Artie protects me even when I don't need protecting. He's not a "people person" or even a "dog person" until he's secure that I'm happy with you being around. And even then... hit or miss until he knows you quite well. (That said, he's quite a bit better when I'm not in the room, "requiring protection.")

Actually, this is a conversation that I've had with my husband, whether Artie would protect me should anything be amiss. My husband isn't 100% sure that he would, but I really think that he would.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
If someone broke into our house, I know both my girls would put on a good show of teeth baring and ferocious barking. If the person kept on coming, I don't know what would happen. My guess is one of them would back off, and keep barking from a safer distance. My guess on the other is that she would actually defend us. My hope is that I never have to find out what they would do.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,475,841 times
I'm with subject2change. My dog would probably bark and growl menacingly, but then back away while still barking. Forget it if the burglar (or whoever) had a dog treat, he'd be bff's with them 4eva. But yeah, I don't want to really find out what would happen! My cat would be more likely to growl and then launch at the intruder with claws bared...hahaha

Old 10-31-2012, 01:51 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof11 View Post
Forever and a day ago I had a great dog, with all respect to my motley crew now. I was at work one day when the police called me. They said someone was in my house screaming for help and they needed to know who. Ha ha, I said! There's no one supposed to be in the house. So, I went and let them in and my dog had this guy in the corner and everytime he moved to try and leave, he was bit again. As long as he stood there and didn't move, he wasn't bit. No charges filed against me or my dog. Different dog, few years later, one evening, I was taken home from a date. He asked to come inside to use the phone. No problem, I mean, I just spent the evening with him, right? He sits down and then promptly informs me that "he's not ready to leave." Oh, he$$, I'm thinking. My dog, quietly is sitting next me, not really acting herself, but not acting aggressive either. She was a dobe/shep cross. He reaches to give her a pet and talk to her, and she let out the oddest growl I'd ever heard, even to this day. It scared ME. His hand stopped in midmotion and he looked at me. I just told him that perhaps it would be a good idea if he moved his hand back some, nice and slow, and left. He said, why, do you think she'll bite me? I said, I didn't care so much if she bit him, but the way she was acting it was up in the air as to whether or not she would actually STOP biting him when I asked her to. He got real pale. He left. And I knew from that point on, no matter what she acted like in her "regular" life, if it came down to someone trying to hurt ME, they were screwed. I truly think that out of my 11 that I have now, I really only have one that would be protective. Of course, Percival is 110 pounds at 8 months, so I am not so sure that most people would be so stupid as to begin to try, but if they do, I think that 11 dogs and 2 parrots (large) sqawking and barking (it's loud!), and probably even my cat mewling at being disturbed, would be enough to make them think twice. I don't 'train' my dogs to be watchdogs. They're just my dogs.
OMG of 11? I can hardly keep up with the two I have.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,537,130 times
Yes my Zeus would protect me. When someone was around that he just didn't like he made it known. If someone got to close to me or my daughter he put himself between. My Zeus went to doggy heaven yesterday. He will be truly missed.

Zeus was a Newfoundland.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,537,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Sadly, Artie protects me even when I don't need protecting. He's not a "people person" or even a "dog person" until he's secure that I'm happy with you being around. And even then... hit or miss until he knows you quite well. (That said, he's quite a bit better when I'm not in the room, "requiring protection.")

Actually, this is a conversation that I've had with my husband, whether Artie would protect me should anything be amiss. My husband isn't 100% sure that he would, but I really think that he would.
Thanks DandJ-

Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Thanks DandJ-
I know that this is in response to my rep comment to you, and no thanks are necessary. When one of our (and I say "our" meaning one of us here, for we truly are a great community on City Data) dogs dies, my heart hurts right along with yours. I shed tears with you too. Warm hugs to you and your family.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Years ago I had a sheltie mix. She was dedicated to her family. She had the oddest bark, more like a yelp, but one day someone came to the door and she stiffened and let out a bark that was worthy a german shepard, staring at the guy, and them growling. I trusted her dog senses. When on a walk she normally ignored other dogs, but if she thought the dog or person was not good, she'd use that same bark. She passed on to summerland almost ten years ago, and I still miss her.

My current dogs, the beagle would bark herself silly but then run and hide. She was abused and its taken almost three years before she'd cuddle next to me at night. Her brother is a shepard/terrier/? very tall and svelt mix and I am sure nobody is going to take him on. He's very protective of me and his house and his kitties. He doesn't like it when they have fights so he runs in to bark at them. But he's about two and a half feet tall standing on all fours, and can put his paws on my shoulder. He lies next to mom when I go to bed, but he listenes. If he hears a sound he doesn't like he sits up and gives a little warning woof. And listens... And plasters himself right next to me. As protective as he is of me in his manner (and his furry family) he would not back off. He's never been overtly agressive with anyone, but at two he's still got bouncy puppy in him, and my neighbor is afraid of him. But, the neighbors like that he can see the vacant area behind the house since he knows who's supposed to be there, and should there be someone else he has an entirely different bark, and then all the rest of the dogs start in (everyone around here has at least a couple dogs).

He's very smart too, with a lot of voices. The water bowl was empty the other day, and he runs to it, and does a WoWoo sound. Then he stands up and looks at the faucet, and Wowoos. Then back to the bowl. Then he just looks at me.

Where I lived in California, the only houses that had anyone break in were houses without dogs. Our three were in the bathroom by the door when we were gone, so they didn't take revenge on the couch cussions, but as soon as they came near the door, someone would be being barked at frantically and with determination by all three. Nobody ever tried. Usually just the noise and threat is enough to send bad guys to a different house.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,282,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Yes my Zeus would protect me. When someone was around that he just didn't like he made it known. If someone got to close to me or my daughter he put himself between. My Zeus went to doggy heaven yesterday. He will be truly missed.

Zeus was a Newfoundland.
LQQOUT -

Please feel free to visit the Rainbow Bridge section of Pets and post pictures or a tribute to your beloved Zeus. That section is special to those who have recently lost their pets. We'd love to see your pictures or hear your stories.

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you peace at a very difficult time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs