Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,791 times

Advertisements

My dog would probobly protect me as long as there were no scary noises or shadows oh and not if it was thundering out...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 04:58 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times
I didn't read everything here yet, I'm trying to keep and eye on Brooklyn and Jayda right now! lol! But I did want to say that I know for a fact that my dogs would protect me if it came down to it. Especially Brooklyn. My dogs are not a guarding breed and they have never been trained to be guard dogs. They are well trained, well socialized, friendly dogs. But Brooklyn has protected me before and I know that he would again. It's a pretty long story and even though it really wasn't necessary, Brooklyn tried to protect me from my husband! lol! Long story short, Serg was mad about something and Brooklyn didn't like that Serg was standing close to me and yelling. Brooklyn got right in front of me and barked at Serg until he walked away. Then when Serg was calmed down and everything was back to normal, Brooklyn went over to sit with Serg. He wasn't being mean really, I think he was just kind of letting Serg know not to take it any farther. If Brooklyn will protect one of his owners from his other owner, I'm sure he would protect me from someone else. I feel completely safe around my dogs! lol! Plus, the fact that they are APBTs makes a lot of people think twice before they do something stupid. Like I said, our dogs are very friendly, but if someone is a threat to their mommy or daddy, they don't take too kindly to it. I really think that most dogs are like that though. I don't think that how my dogs are is anything special or out of the ordinary. Pretty much every dog I have ever owned has been the same way, but people are normally more scared of certain breeds like APBTs, than they are of say a Lab or a Cocker Spaniel. Both of my Labs and my Cocker Spaniel were just like my APBTs are as far as being somewhat protective, but no one ever seemed too intimidated by them. Even though my APBTs are the same size and smaller than my Cocker Spaniel and Labs were! lol! I do think that just having a dog to start with, whether it is a guard dog or a protective dog or not, is enough to keep a lot of people away, but because of all of the twisted, over dramatic media hype and crazy, unbelievable myths, most people are pretty intimidated by "pit bulls", even if they are friendly dogs. So, I think just owning the breed we own is enough to make most people think twice, but if they did decide to do something stupid, I know that at least Brooklyn wouldn't be very happy about it.

I don't want people to think that we got our dogs for protection though. I would probably try to save my dogs if they tried to save me! lol! I would gladly take a bullet for one of my fur babies and if I knew that one of my dogs could get hurt, I would do whatever I had to do to protect them. It sounds stupid, but I would hate for one of my dogs to protect me! lol! I mean, if they do something to stop someone from hurting me and they don't get hurt in the process then great, but if they went after someone with a gun or something, I would lose it! I don't even think I would think about myself at that point. I know it sounds crazy, but that's how I am. We never even though about protection when we got our dogs. We wanted to get a breed that fit us, our life style, our wants and our needs. We wanted lifetime companions, not protection.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 PM

575 posts, read 3,694,032 times
What a nice looking GS how much does he weigh. He looks like a big one and you can tell he is very alert.

PTmommie, A properly trained protection dog in my opinion should be well balanced mentally, social to a point, and you should be able to take them anywhere. If you ever need them to be civil, they step up and bat.

People always want to touch my dogs and I have no problem with that, they are very friendly dogs, they want to interact with people, they are lovey uppy and kissy uppy, unless I can see they are getting stressed by a sudden stranger or if they are hooked up in my yard then I say no.

I want my dogs no different than a friendly mutt. I just have to have dogs that will know how to ante up if needed. Why? Because in my line of work I feel much safer.

Look at this analogy. Evander Holyfield or other prize fighters, in the ring, they are consummate professionals and calculated serious fighters, from training properly & rigously, outside of the ring? Holyfield for example, is a soft spoken, friendly, and well like minister.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,371 times
None of my dogs would be suitable for a guard dog, but when push comes to shove they will do anything to save their humans.

Mahalo our Corgi/Malamute was just attacked two days ago by an off leash dog. She didn't go after the other dog, but stood her ground when it came to my sister. I think all of my dogs would do the same. Although Teddie has a lot of bite for his size and I hate to say, but when it comes to me family isn't even aloud to mess with me

Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
None of my dogs would be suitable for a guard dog, but when push comes to shove they will do anything to save their humans.

Mahalo our Corgi/Malamute was just attacked two days ago by an off leash dog. She didn't go after the other dog, but stood her ground when it came to my sister. I think all of my dogs would do the same. Although Teddie has a lot of bite for his size and I hate to say, but when it comes to me family isn't even aloud to mess with me
A dog off leash attacked your dog, oh my that's not good. That when daddy or mums should get in their kicking and fight too. Hopefully your dog did not get hurt.

How was this dog loose? I know a chain can break, or door gets accidentally opened. Is this what let out this dog. My dogs are very dog friendly which I am grateful for.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:46 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Default For Chick

Chick

I'm late to the party again, and I asked this in another thread I have subsequently closed...but I'm asking personally since I haven't read every single post - what line of work are you in? You reference your safety quite often, as well as ammunition, so I've logically deduced law enforcement or the military...just curious...

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
I suppose it depends on what one needs protection from. Personally, I'm not concerned about other humans. But I am concerned about protecting myself from bear and moose in my neck of the woods. My dogs would definitely "protect" me from those critters even though they haven't been trained. Simply by distracted the bear or moose long enough for me to get my 12-gauge ready, then they have indeed done their job and "protected" me. They also have far better sense of smell than I, and therefore can warn me to the presence of a bear or moose long before there is a confrontation. A barking dog is better than "bear bells".

Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM

I own a licensed Detective Agency, work high profile comp case, which involve allot of sneaking around, i do witness locates, statements, court testimony etc... allot of it can boring until you get whacked like I did last year. I had followed my target to the Seakonk Speedway, the tip was the target was working in a pit crew while collecting $$$ from comp, my target 'made me' & he sicked his 41 year old son on me who forced his way info my car, grabbed my video camera, pulled me out of the car to the ground and ran with it, all the while the place was packed and the cops were on him fast, with me yelling robbery HELP., he was cuffed & stuffed on 2 min demeanors and 1 felony. Note: be a good witness and do not shoot in this type of situation, it was not a deadly encounter.

I was threatened at the 3rd court hearing by the punk 20 year old grunge out grandson which just infuriated me more to keep fighting and take it to trial, which I did and won. He followed me to my car to get my license plate number. That made me nervous but I figured if any one showed at my house sooner or later they'd be in for a big surprise, it never happened yet.

I run into creeps, arsonists , rapists and the real low life criminal element all the time. I'm a 50 year old woman and I can't run to save my life, I will, but I'd rather not have to shoot someone so the dogs are my cushion.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
I own a licensed Detective Agency, work high profile comp case, which involve allot of sneaking around, i do witness locates, statements, court testimony etc... allot of it can boring until you get whacked like I did last year. I had followed my target to the Seakonk Speedway, the tip was the target was working in a pit crew while collecting $$$ from comp, my target 'made me' & he sicked his 41 year old son on me who forced his way info my car, grabbed my video camera, pulled me out of the car to the ground and ran with it, all the while the place was packed and the cops were on him fast, with me yelling robbery HELP., he was cuffed & stuffed on 2 min demeanors and 1 felony. Note: be a good witness and do not shoot in this type of situation, it was not a deadly encounter.

I was threatened at the 3rd court hearing by the punk 20 year old grunge out grandson which just infuriated me more to keep fighting and take it to trial, which I did and won. He followed me to my car to get my license plate number. That made me nervous but I figured if any one showed at my house sooner or later they'd be in for a big surprise, it never happened yet.

I run into creeps, arsonists , rapists and the real low life criminal element all the time. I'm a 50 year old woman and I can't run to save my life, I will, but I'd rather not have to shoot someone so the dogs are my cushion.
is it safe to go into that much detail online in your line of work?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,531 times
Not mine! She always makes sure she is positioned right behind me. She has my back but she will never get out in front!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs