Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:26 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times

Advertisements

My view is, most of us don't like everybody, and our dogs don't have to, either. I would start backing up as soon as I saw a big uncontrolled dog, put my hand out like a traffic cop's "stop" (hand signals are more effective than verbal commands with idiot dog owners ) and say, "My dog only likes calm dogs." Keep backing up and looking more serious until Mr/s Friendly and their dog give up and stop. I don't want someone who doesn't notice a dog's raised hackles around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,352,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Peanut loves people, and is OK with most dogs, but I'm still working with her on her dog reactions. The ones she usually has trouble with are the large dogs who bound right up to her and start sniffing and body slamming. Invariably, as I'm seeing her hackles raise, and trying to calmly walk her away from the situation, the other pet's owner will continue to follow saying, "It's OK. He/she's friendly." I really can't blame Peanut for not wanting to be manhandled. She's aloof, but tolerant of dogs who stay in their own space. As a service dog in training, this is the one behavior that is worrisome to me. Any suggestions for how to desensitize her against rude dog behavior? She already wears a training vest, but some people are more interested in their dog making new friends.
Well, MamaRed, as you already know it's your dog who's in the right. She has very normal proximity rules that some other dogs just don't respect. My honest advice is to show her you will always take care of the situation so that she never takes that responsibility on herself. That means one way or another getting the other dog out of her space - by assertively addressing the other dog's owner, the other dog himself (blocking), or removing your dog from the situation. I would also work on associating something pleasant (like a treat) with leash pressure, as you may need some in order to lead her away from other dogs. Leash pressure commonly ramps up agitation so we need to counter condition that response. Your training session here would just be: pull the leash, treat, pull the leash, treat. Basically rehearsing your retreat from another dog, but practicing without another dog present at first. Even after counter conditioning, always use the lightest touch possible on the leash for real scenarios as that feeling of restraint acts to remove the perceived flight option in the dog's mind. And we all know what we get when we take away flight... we're left with fight.

Be very clear with the owner of the other dog: My dog does not do well with big friendly dogs and I don't want her interacting with your dog right now.

I have a dog (my soul mate dog, one of those "best dog in the world" kind of dogs) that has very minor proximity issues. She is tolerant of other dogs, doesn't mind being around them, will even sniff and do low-key greetings, but as she's gotten older she has just really lost her patience for big, young, rude dogs that maul her as part of their greeting behavior. I've taught her that I will always get her out of the situation and all she needs to do is follow my lead. She does not need to raise hackles, bare teeth, or do any of that, she trusts me to take care of it. And I never let her down.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,495,378 times
Thank you both, K9 and Subject. Both are great ideas. Peanut does get more agitated with leash pressure, which is what makes it so much trickier for me to get her away from the situation. It had actually occurred to me that while I know I wouldn't ever let her get hurt, she hasn't been in enough "threatening" situations to trust that. She pretty much ignores dogs who are minding their own business. Because she looks pit, and is being trained for service, I think I'm even more alert to her reactions. I will work on both leash pressure training, and physically "blocking" the other dog. I've always been very assertive with the other owners. I would feel horrible if the big, friendly dog, with the dumb owner got hurt. I would feel even worse, if Peanut were blamed for her reaction because the other dog was "just being friendly".

Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM

970 posts, read 2,215,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Peanut loves people, and is OK with most dogs, but I'm still working with her on her dog reactions. The ones she usually has trouble with are the large dogs who bound right up to her and start sniffing and body slamming. Invariably, as I'm seeing her hackles raise, and trying to calmly walk her away from the situation, the other pet's owner will continue to follow saying, "It's OK. He/she's friendly." I really can't blame Peanut for not wanting to be manhandled. She's aloof, but tolerant of dogs who stay in their own space. As a service dog in training, this is the one behavior that is worrisome to me. Any suggestions for how to desensitize her against rude dog behavior? She already wears a training vest, but some people are more interested in their dog making new friends.
My husband has a service dog and he (or myself) will not hesitate to physically remove another dog if our dog is being harassed while working. Luckily it has only happened a very small number of times. As far as desensitizing, it just takes a lot of training and exposure. Eventually our current dog (and past dog) learned that work is work. When the vest goes on, dogs are ignored, period, even if they are rude. Your dog has to trust that you will do whatever you can in your power to keep "bad" things away, and they will do their part of the job in assisting you while ignoring even obnoxious distractions.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,178,426 times
Good ideas,

But I have noticed folks already go out of there way to avoid German Shepherds when they seem them they will cross the street to avoid them, but there are still those who love dogs and they just can't help them selves they just want to be every dogs friend.

I like to have mine ready for some distractions before going out to a public street. Then I want folks to walk by closely and make noise & even ride their bikes close by.

I'll go to play grounds but stay outside of the fence at first to get them use to some distractions with our putting to much pressure on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Many owners at some point end up working with their dog(s) in public, whether it's to "proof" basic obedience or work through behavioral issues. Often times, while our dogs are still a "work in progress", we don't necessarily want people approaching during our training time. These dog vests which read "Dog In Training - Give Me Space" alert the public that your dog is working and not to be disturbed. It's amazing how the vests create a bubble around you and your dog. This can be just what a fearful, easily distracted, or reactive dog needs in order to gain exposure to the world without feeling the pressure to interact yet. The vests allow it to be your choice if and when your dog socializes. I've used these types of products (there are others, like leashes and collars) and only once has it not worked and a person approached anyway - to ask "what's he in training for?" I answered "personal protection work" (which was absolutely true, but not specifically what we were working on that day). The guy backed away slowly.

Dog In Training Vest - The Pawsitive Dog

I like these vests because the lettering is large enough to be read from a distance and they will even add custom openings if you prefer to walk your dog on a harness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs