Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,173,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I can see how people would think that the intention of such a vest was to invite attention. But as you know, there's really no way to avoid attention with a dog as unique as yours.
Heh. Unfortunately that dog has passed, best dog I have ever owned...he was a nationally ranked agility champion, therapy dog, titled in obedience and tracking, foster puppy and cat raiser and ALSO a giant reactive A-hole around other dogs so believe me we needed the space and the neon signs LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,173,442 times
Quote:
How 'bout a vest that says "I have rabies". Would that work to keep people away? I think the words do matter.
LOL well I cannot rep you again but I sort of doubt it. People really are sort of dumb as a general rule...!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Wish they made a "Husband in Training" vest as he sometimes is aggressive and belligerent in public too but after 36 years I'm about to give up! sorry I couldn't resist

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Vest not evern small enough for my girls LOL

Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,100,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Actually, as someone who has owned several reactive dogs, trained professionally, put titles on dogs, had (and have currently) therapy dogs who wore vests for "work" and in fact once had a custom vest made for a long-haired Rottweiler I had that was a total attention magnet....(Google "long haired rottweiler" and the handsome dog who comes up frequently in images was mine...)

In my experience a vest like this would attract more people than it would repel. Non way in he!! would I buy one; a vest with writing on it is just one more reason for random people to come right up to you and ask questions. The vest I had made for the LH Rottweiler said "YES I AM A PUREBRED ROTTWEILER AND NOT A MIX" and had his photo on it, which made people flock towards us ten times more frequently than when we were trying to keep a low profile. It was like carrying a sign that said "Come and ask me questions! Touch my dog! No really! We're looking for all the attention we can get!" Like I was walking Brad Pitt on a leash. LOL.

Sort of like "WET PAINT" signs. People see these and are seriously compelled to poke a finger to see if it's still wet.

Personally I find hollering warnings and invective towards people is way more effective.

I just wanted to say I googled it and WOW. What a beautiful dog. Makes me want one. Then again, I have always loved rotties that should come as no surprise to me.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,686,325 times
Quote:
How 'bout a vest that says "I have rabies". Would that work to keep people away? I think the words do matter.
lol, my first thought was:

RABIES TEST DOG

Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
Or maybe just APPROACH AT YOUR OWN RISK. That might keep even the dummies at bay.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM

30,285 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Many owners at some point end up working with their dog(s) in public, whether it's to "proof" basic obedience or work through behavioral issues. Often times, while our dogs are still a "work in progress", we don't necessarily want people approaching during our training time. These dog vests which read "Dog In Training - Give Me Space" alert the public that your dog is working and not to be disturbed. It's amazing how the vests create a bubble around you and your dog. This can be just what a fearful, easily distracted, or reactive dog needs in order to gain exposure to the world without feeling the pressure to interact yet. The vests allow it to be your choice if and when your dog socializes. I've used these types of products (there are others, like leashes and collars) and only once has it not worked and a person approached anyway - to ask "what's he in training for?" I answered "personal protection work" (which was absolutely true, but not specifically what we were working on that day). The guy backed away slowly.

Dog In Training Vest - The Pawsitive Dog

I like these vests because the lettering is large enough to be read from a distance and they will even add custom openings if you prefer to walk your dog on a harness.
This is a great idea. Now, if only other dogs could read it. (Yes, irresponsible pet owners who let their dogs out in the yard with no tie out, no fence, no one around....dogs comes charging over to us....not a fun time.)

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
I wonder if you were wearing a vest or something with "Dog in Training...Do Not Disturb" would be helpful also.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 PM

687 posts, read 1,495,378 times
Peanut loves people, and is OK with most dogs, but I'm still working with her on her dog reactions. The ones she usually has trouble with are the large dogs who bound right up to her and start sniffing and body slamming. Invariably, as I'm seeing her hackles raise, and trying to calmly walk her away from the situation, the other pet's owner will continue to follow saying, "It's OK. He/she's friendly." I really can't blame Peanut for not wanting to be manhandled. She's aloof, but tolerant of dogs who stay in their own space. As a service dog in training, this is the one behavior that is worrisome to me. Any suggestions for how to desensitize her against rude dog behavior? She already wears a training vest, but some people are more interested in their dog making new friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs