Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM

216 posts, read 830,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Buddy appreciates the compliment. Buddy has a few bald spots now after his visit to the vet. He remind me of those medieval monks. The poor guy is still in pain, but at least the swelling has gone down. I'm still giving him antibiotics and pain medication twice a day and he is beginning to return back to his normal precocious self again.

Your advice makes sense. I don't crate Buddy when I'm working, since I will be gone for 10 hours or more. That is just too long for him to be couped up. He eats in his crate, primarily to keep Blizzard from scarfing down his puppy chow.

I got 4" of snow last night, so it will be interesting to see how Buddy reacts to his first snowfall when I take him and Blizzard on their daily "patrol of the property".
He is soooo cute, I want to smooch him! Can you separate him in any way, in a laundry or other room? 10 hours *is* too long in a crate for a puppy...if you can't separate him maybe you can get a puppy sitter to come in once or twice a day for while???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
Muzzling Blizzard while you are not there it not a good idea. He will not be able to fend off Buddy (once Buddy matures) and it may put undesired dominant control in Buddy's paws. They will always be sorting out who the alpha is depending on each situation and muzzling forces the muzzled dog to submit.

I would only muzzle to protect people if my dog was uncontrollable. In the dog world they will sort it out unless you have a seriously dominant basket case, don't muzzle.

I've seen Blizzard, he is beautiful but I had not seen Buddy until now, what a big one he will be.
Blizzard does have a biting problem. She also bit my other dog (Shasta), again, not while I was around. I blamed myself for that incident, because I got an aggressive female. Two aggressive females is asking for trouble, and I learned from my mistake. Which is why I got Buddy, a not very dominant male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Five View Post
He is soooo cute, I want to smooch him! Can you separate him in any way, in a laundry or other room? 10 hours *is* too long in a crate for a puppy...if you can't separate him maybe you can get a puppy sitter to come in once or twice a day for while???
I obviously can't trust Blizzard by herself with Buddy (or any other dog). I can, and will, keep them separate for the time being. At least until Buddy and Blizzard are equal size and mass. However, as I pointed out above, the entire purpose of getting a second dog is so Blizzard wouldn't be alone for 10+ hours every day. She was very depressed after I had to put Shasta down, and while Buddy may be a pain in her behind now, I have already noticed an improvement in her spirits over the past week. The only way I can leave them together and be sure Blizzard doesn't bite Buddy again is to use a muzzle on Blizzard.

Last edited by Glitch; 10-25-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
However, as I pointed out above, the entire purpose of getting a second dog is so Blizzard wouldn't be alone for 10+ hours every day. She was very depressed after I had to put Shasta down, and while Buddy may be a pain in her behind now, I have already noticed an improvement in her spirits over the past week. The only way I can leave them together and be sure Blizzard doesn't bite Buddy again is to use a muzzle on Blizzard.
Maybe getting Blizzard a kitten instead as a companion would have been an alternative. One of my friends adopted a stray kitten and her Bull Mastiff loves it.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Haha! Who gave me rep. points to tell me.. "Pit Bulls Stink! Check out this story! http://www.ksat.com/news/14413827/detail.html"

First of all, why would you give me points to tell me that the breed of dog that I own "stinks"? That doesn't make much sense to me? lmao! And second, I really don't care about any of these crazy, twisted, over dramatic news stories! The media does not care about getting the truth out, all they care about is ratings! They will say whatever they have to say to get their ratings, whether it's true or not! Also, FYI, "pit bull" isn't a breed, it's a term used to group three breeds, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The breed that my husband and I own, American Pit Bull Terriers, are one of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence! In temperament testing APBTs test higher than most popular family breeds like Goldens and Beagles. Do some research , those are facts! Unlike most, if not everything, you hear in the media! Thanks for the rep. point though!

Sorry , I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I don't know who gave me those rep. points because they didn't say, and they left them for my post on here, so I had to say something! I would have just sent them a DM, but since I don't know who left me the points, I can't. Again, sorry!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe getting Blizzard a kitten instead as a companion would have been an alternative. One of my friends adopted a stray kitten and her Bull Mastiff loves it.
I'm sure Blizzard would love a kitten as an alternative ... to LUNCH! I don't care much for cats, and I suppose that translates into the kind of dogs I prefer - aggressive. I'm as ambivalent about cats as they are about me. If Blizzard would attack such a cute puppy as Buddy, I have no doubt she would rip a kitten to pieces. I don't dislike cats that much to subject them to that kind of mutilation.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Haha! Who gave me rep. points to tell me.. "Pit Bulls Stink! Check out this story! http://www.ksat.com/news/14413827/detail.html"

First of all, why would you give me points to tell me that the breed of dog that I own "stinks"? That doesn't make much sense to me? lmao! And second, I really don't care about any of these crazy, twisted, over dramatic news stories! The media does not care about getting the truth out, all they care about is ratings! They will say whatever they have to say to get their ratings, whether it's true or not! Also, FYI, "pit bull" isn't a breed, it's a term used to group three breeds, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The breed that my husband and I own, American Pit Bull Terriers, are one of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence! In temperament testing APBTs test higher than most popular family breeds like Goldens and Beagles. Do some research , those are facts! Unlike most, if not everything, you hear in the media! Thanks for the rep. point though!

Sorry , I don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I don't know who gave me those rep. points because they didn't say, and they left them for my post on here, so I had to say something! I would have just sent them a DM, but since I don't know who left me the points, I can't. Again, sorry!
It wasn't me. I tried to give you some Rep. points for the great advice you gave me on this thread, but since I had already given you points on your "Family Dogs Being Hunted And Killed..." thread a couple weeks ago it wouldn't let me. I got the message that I had to spread it around first.

When I give Rep. points I typically leave a message as to why, AND I sign my name "~Glitch" so you know who it was (hoping it will eventually be returned).

P.S. I love ALL dogs, including pitbulls and mutts.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
It wasn't me. I tried to give you some Rep. points for the great advice you gave me on this thread, but since I had already given you points on your "Family Dogs Being Hunted And Killed..." thread a couple weeks ago it wouldn't let me. I got the message that I had to spread it around first.

When I give Rep. points I typically leave a message as to why, AND I sign my name "~Glitch" so you know who it was (hoping it will eventually be returned).

P.S. I love ALL dogs, including pitbulls and mutts.
Oh, I didn't think it was you anyway! It's really not even a big deal at all, everyone has their own opinions and people don't have to like any breeds that they don't want to, you know? On one hand I though it was sooo funny that someone would give me a rep. point to insult my husband and I and our three amazing fur babies, and then on the other hand it made me kind of mad that anyone would think that I even slightly cared about some crazy news story! All of these "pit bull" attack news stories are ridiculous! They obviously don't do their research, if they did, they would say what breed or mix the dog is, you know? American Pit Bull Terrier owners do say that they own "pit bulls" a lot of the time, but that's because American Pit Bull Terrier actually has "pit bull" in its name and it's just a lot easier to say than American Pit Bull Terrier. But "pit bull" isn't an actual breed, it's a term used to group three breeds, American Pit Bull Terriers (APBT), American Staffordshire Terriers (AmStaff) and Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffie). Also, any mixes of those breeds or any dog that even slightly resembles those breeds is thrown in there under "pit bull" as well. There are also 25+ breeds that are commonly mistaken as the "pit bull" breeds. When the media says anything about a "pit bull" that could be any number of breeds or mixes, they are just basically narrowing it down to some type of bully breed, some type of bully breed mix or a dog that looks like it could possibly be a bully breed or bully breed mix! lmao! And most of the time, the dog isn't even a "pit bull" at all! I have seen news stories of Labs or Lab mixes, Boxers or Boxer mixes, Beagles or Beagle mixes, etc that have attacked and the news says it's a "pit bull"! I have also seen probably 5 or 6 so-called "pit bull" attacks that have all used the same exact "pit bull" picture! The picture with the story is so obviously not the actual dog! lol! It's just unbelievable to me that so many people really believe these crazy, twisted news stories and it's even more unbelievable to me that anyone would think I cared about any of these crazy, twisted news stories! These dogs that attack, no matter what breed they are, weren't born mean! They unfortunately ended up with some irresponsible, moron owner, or some crazy, abusive, neglectful, disturbed owner that made the dog how it is. Either way though, it's not the dogs fault and it has absolutely nothing to do with the breed. The "pit bull" breeds are naturally not human aggressive at all! They were specifically bred to be human friendly! They are some of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence and if they are bred, raised, trained, socialized and controlled properly, like all dogs should be, they truly are some of the most amazing, friendly dogs in the world!

Anyway, like I said in my last post, I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything like that. I just didn't know who left that comment and I had to say something! lol! So again, I'm sorry! And I never thought that it was you. Actually, most of the people that have posted on this thread are people that I have a lot of respect for, they are, or at least seem to be, very good people! I'm thinking that it might have just been someone that was going around and reading posts and just decided to try to upset me or something? I don't know, it's not a big deal, I just had to tell whoever it was that "pit bull" isn't a breed, you shouldn't always believe the crap you hear in the media and I really do not care about what the media says or what people think about our wonderful, friendly, stable, trustworthy, well raised, trained and socialized, BeAuTiFuL American Pit Bull Terriers! lol! I absolutely love my three fur babies with all of my heart, they are wonderful! I love all animals, especially dogs, but after owning our APBTs I personally wouldn't own another breed, and I will gladly deal with all of the insane gossip, rumors, myth and crazy stories! My husband and are are truly blessed to own such amazing dogs and I couldn't be more proud to be their owner!

Oh, and I can't give you any rep. points either! lol! It says that I have to spread the love first! I have a hard time giving out rep. points sometimes because I don't just give them out to anyone for any post, you know? I give rep. points to posts that I agree with and that I feel deserve it! Anyway, so I owe you some rep. points! You'll get them as soon as I am able to give them to you!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
It's really not even a big deal at all, everyone has their own opinions and people don't have to like any breeds that they don't want to, you know?
There are no dog breeds, even mixed breeds, I don't like, but there are a few "people breeds" I can do without. Which is why I live in Alaska these days. If people had the demeanor/personality and sense of humor of most dogs, the world would be a MUCH better place.

Quote:
I'm thinking that it might have just been someone that was going around and reading posts and just decided to try to upset me or something?
I'll bet you're right, a "drive-by Rep. insulter."

Old 10-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I obviously can't trust Blizzard by herself with Buddy (or any other dog). I can, and will, keep them separate for the time being. At least until Buddy and Blizzard are equal size and mass. However, as I pointed out above, the entire purpose of getting a second dog is so Blizzard wouldn't be alone for 10+ hours every day. She was very depressed after I had to put Shasta down, and while Buddy may be a pain in her behind now, I have already noticed an improvement in her spirits over the past week. The only way I can leave them together and be sure Blizzard doesn't bite Buddy again is to use a muzzle on Blizzard.
Once the puppy gets a little older you may find he doesn't annoy the other quite as much...maybe

Hopefully there will be some resolution between the two of them (and I'm sure there will be) because it's not recommended to leave a dog muzzled when you're not home, especially for so many hours. Good luck with them, their beautiful!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:

So stupid Not surprised at the sentiment though as there seems to be quite a few pit bull haters at the c-d forum (not at Pets).

Isn't it just too bad for them that some of us LOVE our pit bulls and have pit bulls that LOVE us back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs