Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 28,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So your suggestion is to take them to the shelter. Brilliant idea. I'm sure they'll get all sorts of attention there...just before they are killed.

It's judgements like this that irritate the crap out of me. You have NO idea what I do for my dogs.
No, I believe the hidden message is this: if you are too busy to take care a dog, then don't get a dog and instead get a bird, hamster, etc. Getting a dog and then eventually dumping him off at a shelter, putting a pup in a box and leaving him at the side of the road or pushing a frightened animal out of car is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!!

Repeat after me everyone: Dogs are *not* accessories. Once again for those reading this message on their iphone in a big SUV cutting across two lanes of traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway: Dogs are *not* accessories!

They are *not* to be discarded because the novelty wore off, doggie chewed your favorite slipper or if one is too busy busy busy to care of a puppy. Shelters are over-crowded as it is!

Note to self: I got to get off the pain killers for my bad knee!

Last edited by golfmonk; 03-27-2013 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: pain killer for knee kicking in LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmonk View Post
No, I believe the hidden message is this: if you are too busy to take care a dog, then don't get a dog and instead get a bird, hamster, etc. Getting a dog and then eventually dumping him off at a shelter, putting a pup in a box and leaving him at the side of the road or pushing a frightened animal out of car is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!!

Repeat after me everyone: Dogs are *not* accessories. Once again for those reading this message on their iphone in a big SUV cutting across two lanes of traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway: Dogs are *not* accessories!

They are *not* to be discarded because the novelty wore off, doggie chewed your favorite slipper or if one is too busy busy busy to care of a puppy. Shelters are over-crowded as it is!
You are completely missing the fact that these people already own dogs and have no intentions to get rid of them.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You are completely missing the fact that these people already own dogs and have no intentions to get rid of them.
Hopes, realize that this was not directed to any member of this group who I am sure love their pets dearly. This was more a statement for the general public that might not love their pets and families dumping dogs by whatever means necessary. I think that was the message that Forever Blue was trying to convey.

But what do I know; I am just a simple country software engineer.

I think I will remove myself from further comments in this thread.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
The characteristics of people who view dogs as disposable is a separate thread from people who work and have dogs. Completely different.

There is "dog day care", for people who work. I think this is an excellent alternative. I have also seen a lot of retired folks, taking care of "grand dogs" for working children. Another great solution.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM

6,474 posts, read 6,686,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is "dog day care", for people who work. I think this is an excellent alternative.
It could be a good choice for people with high-paying jobs. At $20.00 a day ($400/month), it's out of reach for a lot of people. Also, sometimes the care is good, sometimes not so good. I stopped into a local doggie daycare recently, and I saw a large room filled with dogs (probably 15 or so), and there was no human in there supervising them at all. I found a person in the office and asked about that, and she told me that they have 1 doggie-watcher who goes back and forth between the room of large dogs and the room of small dogs. No thanks.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmonk View Post
Hopes, realize that this was not directed to any member of this group who I am sure love their pets dearly. This was more a statement for the general public that might not love their pets and families dumping dogs by whatever means necessary. I think that was the message that Forever Blue was trying to convey.

But what do I know; I am just a simple country software engineer.

I think I will remove myself from further comments in this thread.
Since you quoted Three Wolves in the Snow, who does work long days, it seemed directed at people in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It could be a good choice for people with high-paying jobs. At $20.00 a day ($400/month), it's out of reach for a lot of people.
I agree. Doggie daycare is not a viable option for the majority of the population. It's more expensive than childcare in my region.

Neighbors aren't long-term solutions either. My neighborhood is great about helping each other out with pets. I often let out my neighbors' dogs and many of my neighbors will help us when necessary, but would be a PITA to expect someone to do that as a permanent workweek solution. When I help a neighbor, a week is long enough. I have to arrange my entire daily schedule around being in the neighborhood to let their dog out. I gladly do it, but I would never want to do it permanently and I would never ask anyone to do it permanently for me.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,061,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is your choice to state your opinion however, it is NOT your place to tell someone else to get a cat or a fish. Many dogs are left to their own devices for many hours daily and they are not mistreated nor hurt from this happening.
The purpose of people asking questions on a forum is to get answers. If it is your opinion that someone who plans to be away from home for 12 hours should get dog or even worse a golden retriever puppy (per the OP's other thread) then that is your opinion. My opinion is that is not an appropriate home for a golden retriever puppy. I am saying that both fish and cats would work better in this scenario. In the other thread I also discouraged the OP from getting a bird as they require more attention than can be granted by someone away for 12 hrs a day, especially if they are the only pet in the home.

In addition, I do not believe that a dog can reliably hold it for 12 hrs a day, especially a puppy. If the OP applied for one of my fosters I would attempt to talk them out of getting a dog with their schedule and I would not adopt out a dog to them.

At no point did I or the other respondents criticize those who have dogs but work full time. I have done it myself but I adopted a 6 yr old dog and worked 5 min. from home. By the time the dog got old I had moved to a house with a dog door. Several times when I had been held up at work the poor dog was dancing around to get out and I felt bad due to what had to be a painful experience trying to hold it. If I had been more aware of the dog's feelings then I would have installed a dog door at my old house but I was concerned about security so did not (hindsight is 20/20). However in my defense, my schedule was flexible and I was usually gone from the house about 8.5 hrs.

Personally I have been impressed with all the good tips provided here on how people handle being away from home during the day and still allowing their dogs to go to the bathroom. I would never have thought of the basement plan and certainly potty pads give the dog a viable option for using the bathroom. There have also been good tips on doggy daycare and pet sitters.

Many, many, many people do not give any thought to how they will manage having a pet. That is one of the reasons you see so many dropped off at shelters or listed for rehoming on craig's list. I applaud the OP for soliciting input on their decision.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM

6,474 posts, read 6,686,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
The purpose of people asking questions on a forum is to get answers. If it is your opinion that someone who plans to be away from home for 12 hours should get dog or even worse a golden retriever puppy (per the OP's other thread) then that is your opinion.
As has been stated, there is a difference between a person working long hours making a decision to get a dog, knowing from the beginning that the dog will be home alone, versus someone whose work situation changes and long days away from home became the norm after becoming a dog owner.

BUT STILL.....if the choices are for a dog to live in a shelter, or live with a dog lover who is away for 12 hours a day.....the better choice for the dog very well may be with an owner who works 12 hours a day. I do think it's vital that a person working long hours who is considering a dog do everything possible to make the dog's life happy and comfortable (opportunity to pee during the day, lots of attention when home, outings at dog park, etc when possible). Seems better to me than life in a shelter.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
The purpose of people asking questions on a forum is to get answers. If it is your opinion that someone who plans to be away from home for 12 hours should get dog or even worse a golden retriever puppy (per the OP's other thread) then that is your opinion. My opinion is that is not an appropriate home for a golden retriever puppy. I am saying that both fish and cats would work better in this scenario. In the other thread I also discouraged the OP from getting a bird as they require more attention than can be granted by someone away for 12 hrs a day, especially if they are the only pet in the home.

In addition, I do not believe that a dog can reliably hold it for 12 hrs a day, especially a puppy. If the OP applied for one of my fosters I would attempt to talk them out of getting a dog with their schedule and I would not adopt out a dog to them.

At no point did I or the other respondents criticize those who have dogs but work full time. I have done it myself but I adopted a 6 yr old dog and worked 5 min. from home. By the time the dog got old I had moved to a house with a dog door. Several times when I had been held up at work the poor dog was dancing around to get out and I felt bad due to what had to be a painful experience trying to hold it. If I had been more aware of the dog's feelings then I would have installed a dog door at my old house but I was concerned about security so did not (hindsight is 20/20). However in my defense, my schedule was flexible and I was usually gone from the house about 8.5 hrs.

Personally I have been impressed with all the good tips provided here on how people handle being away from home during the day and still allowing their dogs to go to the bathroom. I would never have thought of the basement plan and certainly potty pads give the dog a viable option for using the bathroom. There have also been good tips on doggy daycare and pet sitters.

Many, many, many people do not give any thought to how they will manage having a pet. That is one of the reasons you see so many dropped off at shelters or listed for rehoming on craig's list. I applaud the OP for soliciting input on their decision.
Thank you mic111 for a well written post (gave you a rep for it)! It pretty much echoes my feelings on the subject without the "full metal jacket rage" rant mode I sometimes get in.

Threads about animals (and especially dogs) can be very heated. Perhaps I am better suited to going back to the car, star trek and golf forums (although threads about Tiger Woods gets heated as well ) and disengage from forums like these for a while.

Last edited by golfmonk; 03-28-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,302,694 times
So having a dog hold it in during the day for 8-10 hours is bad, but not at night when you're asleep for 8 hours+?
Our 3 dogs are on the same schedule we are, and have been for the last 11 years. And yes, we are at work/commuting 9 hours a day. It was easier on them when we had a child in the house, and he would let them out when he got home from school at 3, but even when we are home all day, they don't ask to go out until it's their dinnertime.

And yes, I rarely go the bathroom while at work or while asleep. Same with the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs