Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,926,433 times

Advertisements

Where does he stay at night?

Wouldn't the dog be too dirty to be in the house if he stays outdoor all day long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM

701 posts, read 1,692,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post

Wouldn't the dog be too dirty to be in the house if he stays outdoor all day long?
If you're asking me, she's in the house all day, not outside. Hasn't had an accident in over a month in the house. She sleeps in my bedroom with me at night, sometimes on the bed, sometimes under it. The crate was put away as soon as she was housebroken - I've never managed to find a dog that truly loved its crate.

I am one of those people who devotes almost all my free time to my dog though. I live alone, have no boyfriend, no kids, and plan on keeping it that way. I only travel for my job once a year and I have family to watch her when I go. Frankly, my dog is a great excuse why I just "can't" go out for a drink with my co-workers after work.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It could be a good choice for people with high-paying jobs. At $20.00 a day ($400/month), it's out of reach for a lot of people. Also, sometimes the care is good, sometimes not so good. I stopped into a local doggie daycare recently, and I saw a large room filled with dogs (probably 15 or so), and there was no human in there supervising them at all. I found a person in the office and asked about that, and she told me that they have 1 doggie-watcher who goes back and forth between the room of large dogs and the room of small dogs. No thanks.
Doggie daycare doesn't have to be an every day thing. I've used a well-supervised doggie daycare (run by a trainer friend of mine) once a week or so for years and she charges $11 per day, per dog, if picked up by 7 pm. I swear the dogs are worn out for two days after each visit! That does not sound like a well-run daycare. My friend has a couple of employees so the dogs are monitored at all times, plus she is very astute about dogs and will not put a dog in a situation it can't handle. I trusted her with my dog-aggressive previous Rottweiler, completely. She knew him and understood which dogs he would not be OK with.

I also agree 100 percent with Hopes about crating. It's a tool, and a very useful one, for puppies and young dogs going through destructive teething. But should never be abused! Puppies don't learn anything while in a crate (except to chill out temporarily) but without crate-trained dogs my house would have been reduced to smoking rubble.

But the very instant I think they can safely be left with free roam of the house, they're uncrated.

When I had regular foster dogs I very rarely crated, but would leave them baby-gated into a room. Sometimes with the "gentle giant" Rottweiler I had at the time for company, who was a "caretaker" dog.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post

There's really nothing "dirty" about a dog that spends time outside.
Perhaps a little mud clinging to the fur if it's muddy out but that is not a big deal. And can be quickly rubbed off or brushed out.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM

12,785 posts, read 15,010,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Isn't holding their bladders the least of the problem? What about being lonely? Separation anxiety? What time would you have to train the puppy/dog so the dog(s) would be a pleasure to be around?
I personally wouldn't say that holding their bladders is the LEAST of the problems. Holding it for too long can't be good for the body. If us humans tried to hold ours for too long, we'll get in a tizzy, be in pain, & the toll it would take to do that repeatedly over time would cause long-term negative effects, etc . That is a physical issue. The being lonely, etc. isn't quite as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was going to adopt a dog, and the rescue people denied me because I worked full time. Fine, I got a dog anyway, who lived a long life, one family home for 13 years. He was perfectly happy.
That's great. I got my first puppy when I was an adult in 2005. I wanted a purebreed one who I can raise the way I wanted without any possible issues to undo. Many breeders are in the whole dog show world, so they seem really picky about who they sell their dogs too. When I went to my breeder's house for the first time to see my prospective puppy, I honestly didnt think it would be that easy. I was expecting some 100-question test or something...well, at least 10-20 questions, but I didn't jump the gun & act too, too excited, but I called the breeder as soon as I got back home 45 minutes later saying I wanted him & got him the next week at 8 wks old. I don't remember her asking me any questions & this breeder was in the whole dog show world with dogs who were show champions. She was also the vice president of one of the breed clubs in the state. I took damn good care of him & spoiled him until the day he died on the last Feb of this year 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmonk View Post
No, I believe the hidden message is this: if you are too busy to take care a dog, then don't get a dog and instead get a bird, hamster, etc. Getting a dog and then eventually dumping him off at a shelter, putting a pup in a box and leaving him at the side of the road or pushing a frightened animal out of car is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!!

Repeat after me everyone: Dogs are *not* accessories. Once again for those reading this message on their iphone in a big SUV cutting across two lanes of traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway: Dogs are *not* accessories!

They are *not* to be discarded because the novelty wore off, doggie chewed your favorite slipper or if one is too busy busy busy to care of a puppy. Shelters are over-crowded as it is!

Note to self: I got to get off the pain killers for my bad knee!
Thanks golfmonk for the support to my post #45 on page 5!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
You know, even though I worked full time when I had my dog, I walked him every morning and played with him and fed him breakfast. He spent the day out in the yard, fresh air, and he had a large insulated dog house, off the ground and warm.

When I got home from work, I took him for a long walk around the neighborhood. We had dinner, and he hung out with us. He slept on the floor of my daughter's room.

On the weekend I worked with him on obedience twice each day. He was an excellent dog, well mannered, and good behavior. He was with us all the time on weekends, car rides, Petco, errands, whatever..

I don't get people who get dogs and never pay attention to them, leave them outside all the time, and do not train their dogs appropriately. Having a job does not interfere with dog ownership. It is like saying working parents should not have children.

I do not have a dog now, because I travel so much for work. That is a bit more problematic.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 PM

19 posts, read 28,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks golfmonk for the support to my post #45 on page 5!
No problem, it was my pleasure!

Besides, a rant now and then can be a good thing!!!

Last edited by golfmonk; 04-04-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 28,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't get people who get dogs and never pay attention to them, leave them outside all the time, and do not train their dogs appropriately. Having a job does not interfere with dog ownership. It is like saying working parents should not have children.

I do not have a dog now, because I travel so much for work. That is a bit more problematic.
Yep, I am in complete agreement with you jasper12. I occasionally travel for work from time to time, but I mainly work long insane hours (today is a typical work day; worked from 9am to 11pm).

Adding to long work hours the time I am at the gym rehabbing my knee (probably put in 8 hours a week) and playing a few rounds of golf per week when the weather is nice (which has not been the case this year so far ), there really is no time to properly take care of a dog.

Which kind of sucks because I would *love* to get a dog to spend time with and to greet me at the door after yet another day of blows to the head (read: another day at work).

Sighs...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
Are not some small dogs, females, adaptable to using kitty litter? I mean, a dog like a dachshund seems to think like a big dog, is courageous, has a bark like a bigger dog, can be trusted home alone, and is very bright.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
This post was brought to my attention again after so long. Apparently those who go off about others not being able to read have completely missed: dog pee pads, the indoor bathrooms that are available. Continuing to complain about "dogs holding it for 12 hours" had been addressed, repeatedly, over and over again, making those arguments about "having to hold it so long" completely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs