Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, I see how you were approaching this. It makes perfect sense to me now. ...
Thank you, Hopes! Sometimes it's hard, especially for me sometimes, to type what would be much easier for me to say in person. That's why I don't text on the cell phone; I would get into too much trouble.

I have a friend that wants a dog badly; she's been a great dog owner in the past. But, since the last dog (died of old age/cancer), she's gone to school, had a child, moved, and is looking for full-time employment. Not to mention, there's just about enough money to take care of the family's needs. There is no money or time left for a puppy or dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
I think it depends on the type of dogs. All my three dogs (2GSDs +1 English bulldog) are easy to house break. Well, I should correct myself. My two GSDs are adults when I adopted them. So they are easy. I want to add that adopting adult dogs that have already house strained is a good choice for me.
I adopted a puppy-mill puppy and had to train her not to pee/poop in the crate and not to pee/poop in the house. (Before I got her, she lived in a breeding cage for five months.) That was a tough puppy to house break and it took what seemed like forever. But, once she got it, she's been a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
How Do Working People Keep Dogs.......?-p1010009_2_2.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not a cowards way. It was me. I often sign my comments. Thought I did.

It's "how to do working people keep dogs," not "how do working people who are prospective dog owners intend to keep dogs."

Can't only people who own or have owned dogs while working be the only ones who can answer the question accurately?

They are, after all, the only people with experience owning dogs while working and know for a fact if dogs can or can't be trained to hold it for 12 hours.

For everyone else, it's just speculation and/or unfounded judgment.
no, not really ,
other people might have way more insight into what goes one
in a dogs mind. Just beause you work does not make a dog expert but if it
makes you feel better then---
nobody is disputing that does do cope with it but is it the best for them is really the question.

let's not forget dogs always want to please and fit in, they will pretty darn well do almost
anything , even against their nature to just belong and get along.

I have been on both sides of the issue and have to tell you that my impression is
that dogs would prefer to be moving alongside you
all day instead of lingering in a house.
let's face it , many people on here leave their dogs in
a crate all day long , come home , play and then the dogs are
back in the crate for the nite.
I see it around me all the time, dogs endure it because
they want to please and belong.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Thank you, Hopes! Sometimes it's hard, especially for me sometimes, to type what would be much easier for me to say in person. That's why I don't text on the cell phone; I would get into too much trouble.
I know! I refuse to text my sisters about anything important!

Quote:
I adopted a puppy-mill puppy and had to train her not to pee/poop in the crate and not to pee/poop in the house. (Before I got her, she lived in a breeding cage for five months.) That was a tough puppy to house break and it took what seemed like forever. But, once she got it, she's been a dream.
She's absolutely adorable!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
As to house training well one way to do it is to take a couple weeks off when you do adopt a new dog. As to when do you have time to train a dog if you work?..well to me training is an on going everyday thing I do not set aside a specific time to train as I do it all day, sit and wait before being released to eat or go out or play ball, Down,sit even tricks like spin or weave in and out my legs on walks etc. Doing training as you go about doing other things keeps it fun and stimulating. I work yet my two are better trained then the dogs with the retired folks and other folks that do not work that come to the dog park...if you want a trained dog you find a way to train it if you really do not care if your dogs is trained then no you do not find a way. Training a dog this way is not some hours intense thing as it is just part of play and life in general.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I was going to adopt a dog, and the rescue people denied me because I worked full time. Fine, I got a dog anyway, who lived a long life, one family home for 13 years. He was perfectly happy.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,060 times
Quote:
Your dog is very lucky to have you. She is beautiful!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
no, not really ,
other people might have way more insight into what goes one
in a dogs mind. Just beause you work does not make a dog expert but if it
makes you feel better then---
nobody is disputing that does do cope with it but is it the best for them is really the question.

let's not forget dogs always want to please and fit in, they will pretty darn well do almost
anything , even against their nature to just belong and get along.

I have been on both sides of the issue and have to tell you that my impression is
that dogs would prefer to be moving alongside you
all day instead of lingering in a house.
let's face it , many people on here leave their dogs in
a crate all day long , come home , play and then the dogs are
back in the crate for the nite.
I see it around me all the time, dogs endure it because
they want to please and belong.
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a reason to crate a dog. That is because, as you say, they want to please you. It's their nature. I had a German Shephard and she never caused a problem. I lived close to work and if I had to work over time I would go home lunch time and walk her.

If I had a situation where I could not spend enough time with an animal I would probably get two cats that have reputations of being dog-like. There are active cats that do not sleep all day as adults and they stay inquisitive and playful almost their entire lives and are very bright and trainable. You just have to select by breed.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,762 times
I think some of it is really dependent on the breed and the dog's personality. My mom's pug seems fine when she leaves her for a few hours, but if I'm over at her house, and my mom goes anywhere for 5 minutes, she struggles up the stairs to come hang out with me, so obviously she craves being with a person, although I don't think she'd act out if my mom was gone regularly.

My Frenchie on the otherhand hates to be left alone, which seems typical for the breed. I suspect this is a big part of the reason she ended up at the pound. The rescues often state a SAH would be best, or if the dog would be allowed at work...

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmonk View Post
No, I believe the hidden message is this: if you are too busy to take care a dog, then don't get a dog and instead get a bird, hamster, etc. Getting a dog and then eventually dumping him off at a shelter, putting a pup in a box and leaving him at the side of the road or pushing a frightened animal out of car is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!!

Repeat after me everyone: Dogs are *not* accessories. Once again for those reading this message on their iphone in a big SUV cutting across two lanes of traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway: Dogs are *not* accessories!

They are *not* to be discarded because the novelty wore off, doggie chewed your favorite slipper or if one is too busy busy busy to care of a puppy. Shelters are over-crowded as it is!

Note to self: I got to get off the pain killers for my bad knee!
You best back off before you go on a tirade like that towards me EVER again. You have NO idea who I am and what I do for my pets.

Go take a fricken nap and try it again. How DARE you talk to me as if I do such things. RUDE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs