Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bully Dog is beating your dog at dog park?
Kick the other dog? 3 6.98%
Kick the owner? 9 20.93%
Take your dog and leave? 25 58.14%
Let dog be dogs? 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times

Advertisements

I think any body with any intellegence should avoid the dog parks like the plague . I have only gone to one once and when i saw what went on and how many fleas people at work were complaining about their dog getting , I knew then and there I would not subject myself or my dogs to such ... end of story .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 704 times
Who brings their unsocialized, timid dogs to a dog park!?!? That is mean and you're are setting them up for failure! A dog park is not a place where extremely obedient dogs and owners go. A dog park is usually where busy people hope their dog will burn some energy because he doesn't have enough time for them! OR- where their dog is confidant and can handle playing like a dog. I cant believe there is this long thread on people whining about dog bullies "ruining" yours. My dog is well behaved because I train him, run with him, hike, he goes everywhere and still can stay home unattended(apartment status). I socialized him on a leash- walking around the city. He knows the difference of when hes behaving and when he didnt. Im not even a dog pro(he's my first dog)- I adopted him(pitbull) as one crazy mishandled dog. Like- biting, tearing things up, not house trained **** head. I would never of brought him directly to a park. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:01 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
I got a second dog so I didn't need to use dog parks or deal with other owners. Two dogs are a lot more work, but they also do better when I'm gone during the day, and always have a playmate for dog play.

It may be an option to consider - not for everybody, but it has worked well for me.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,323 times
Not every situation is the same, Dogs aren't like people even though you love them like one. An old man doesn't go clubbing on a Saturday night at 1AM.

One of the better and some one may take this as a sexist comment ( I hope you don't) is that men and woman don't play in the same physical sports for a reason, boxing would be some what unethical right?

Ok last point, each dog is a different breed. My dog is a Catahoula lab, we can't go to certain dog parks because it is in her blood and to run and herd. Those rich people and tiny dogs get very angry very fast and my dog is way too high energy. She neeeeeds to let it out, she is more of a utility dog than a fun thing to pet and play with. (Hunting, hiking, herding)

Lastly, I know you don't like seeing your dog being beaten up but try not to be confrontational at the dog park, chances are I don't care enough to talk to you but I want the same thing you do.
I think one of the things that makes people successful is self control and learning from their mistakes and figuring out a way to get what they want subtly.

I was at the dog park and my dog when I wasn't paying attention for a few minutes and she sneakily starting nipping at other dogs and being a bully. She is a 70 pound dog herding and just wants to play. She usually isn't bad when I am watching but yea I wasn't because I had some stuff creep up on me and it happens.

SO HERE IS THE POINT, and why you people have problems, it's not always the DOG SOMETIMES ITS YOU!

One of the guys took it as his main responsibility to tell me to watch my dog, I said yea .... to be nice and curt, I say, "I think she's a little to big to be in her"and I leash her up and we start to leave the park. Well he has to keep running his mouth like, oh that big dog ( who is a 7 year old mut) isn't. I was like ok man dogs nip it happens.

Here is my point, I saw my dog was being bad and the situation was only going to get worse so I was leaving and this guy who I could have pounded into the ground was still confronting.

It's all how you approach the person! If you **** me off I might just let fighto keep bullying your little dog but I am a nice person and I wouldn't do that BUT some people might.

Know the breed, know the person, know the type of dog park and you won't have this problem. Also, why would you even bring a yorkie to the dog park?

Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchPress View Post
Who brings their unsocialized, timid dogs to a dog park!?!? That is mean and you're are setting them up for failure! A dog park is not a place where extremely obedient dogs and owners go. A dog park is usually where busy people hope their dog will burn some energy because he doesn't have enough time for them! OR- where their dog is confidant and can handle playing like a dog. I cant believe there is this long thread on people whining about dog bullies "ruining" yours. My dog is well behaved because I train him, run with him, hike, he goes everywhere and still can stay home unattended(apartment status). I socialized him on a leash- walking around the city. He knows the difference of when hes behaving and when he didnt. Im not even a dog pro(he's my first dog)- I adopted him(pitbull) as one crazy mishandled dog. Like- biting, tearing things up, not house trained **** head. I would never of brought him directly to a park. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!
I got a great park near me where the majority think just like you man, It's a dirt and they create dust storms running around and they go crazy rolling around having a good time. People who complain usually end up leaving fast and never coming back. It's really majority rules but I agree 100% with you. We have a park where this guy sits in the middle of the playground in turf and cuddles with all the dogs. Most people with dogs who don't need that outlet and socializations don't have a need to read about breeds and how to control them.

Yes you might have a more well behaved dog but me and mine have done 100x the training and have 100x the energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs