Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Today is Karma's first birthday, and we've been dealing with almost daily vomiting of undigested meals for about ten days, on and off. We have seen the vet, and she has been on Reglan for the past five days. She still vomits her meals, 6-8 hours after eating them. Then she "cleans up" the mess and usually keeps that down.

I am looking for any information on experiences you all might have with something like this. We will see the vet again on Wednesday, but I want to go in prepared and with questions. She eats Blue Buffalo lamb and brown rice food, and yes, she's a pretty fast eater. We never exercise her within an hour or two of eating, and the vet has declared her an incredibly healthy girl. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
There is special dog food for sensitive stomachs. You need a prescription from your vet though.

Do you mix the food with water? Add water to the dry food and wait until the food absorbs it so it's almost like a thick oatmeal. It makes it easier for dogs to digest and doesn't irritate the stomach or throat as much.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
perscription diets are an expensive JOKE!

1: sounds like a sensitivity to the food, what are you feeding and what "flavor" (chicken, lamb, beef, no clue cause the bag says meat byproduct?!)

2: also sounds like it not digesting properly, this could be a number of reasons, 1: ses drinking water imediatly after eating and the kibble is swelling and "staying put" in this case dont let her drink anythign for about 30-60 mins after eating.
kibble takes about 12 hours to digest, and obvisouly will stil swell but it allows the kbble to start digeting before it begins to swell in the stomach....
or as bmw pointed out "pre soak" the kibble so its already swolen and thus wont continue to swell in the tummy.
OR: shes eating too fast/too much, again kibble swells, she eats eats eats (either quickly or just too much) then it sits around and as moisture hits it starts to swell, thus while she didnt feel full about 30 mins ago and kept eating come a few hours later shes uddenly feeling OVER full...
try giving her more SMALLER meals a day...
OR: shes sensitive to her food and needs a different diet
OR: her digestive system is off kilter, in which cae some good NATURAL unflavoered no sugar added PLAIN yogurt will help.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I would also add, after feeding keep confined for 30mins to an hour to help with digestion.

I have a GF with a Sheltie who's got a sensitive tummy. After years of doing all sorts of things, she finally decided to have her spayed at 7 years of age (she was a show dog). Come to find out her uterus was mush and very difficult to remove. So keep in mind it could be a health issue too.

You didn't mention what kind of food you are feeding? What is your feeding routine?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
maybe try the hamburg and rice diet. Boil the hamburg then drain the fat and get the rice 10min bags and
mix both. I also would try maybe 4 small meals at a time and see it that helps. Baby food mixed with rice also is good.
they now have a special bowl for dogs who just take the food and gulp in so it comes back up.
I had a dog who also did this she just did swallow her food so out it did come and a mess it was.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 PM

297 posts, read 502,656 times
Have you tried feeding canned food? It's easier to digest and passes through a lot faster than dry food. Also, try smaller more frequent, meals if possible.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I would rule out the simplest cause first and that would be eating too fast. Being you just added a new puppy she maybe eating her food even faster for fear the puppy will eat it. Do you have a dog toy that holds treats? I would try putting her kibble in that so she has to work to get it and it slows her down, if she still vomits then I would try changing food. I am assuming she is pooping and acting ok?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Dash, I think you're right. but maybe our vet's suspicions are right, too. He suspects she might have worms, or maybe giardia. She laps up a fair amount of disgusting water both in our catchment pond and at the dog park. It wouldn't surprise me.

In any case, I wouldn't feed a prescription diet with a gun held to my head. I have always believed those diets focus on one specific aiolment but don't really provide good nourishment.

Canned food gave Karma the runs. As I said, she eats Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice food. The lamb formula has curtailed the goopy eye problem she had.

To tell the truth, I hadn't been able to check out her poop because of the snow, and then since poops don't have date stamps on them, I didn't know which ones were recent . She's as active as ever, but she acts kind of spooked more than I like. Out of the blue, she ducks and bolts when I try to come near her. I don't get it.

I do feed the new puppy in a different room, but Karma has always been a very fast eater. I might look into one of those bowls that slows things down. I saw one at Petco that looked interesting.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
What worked best for me was putting the food on a cookie sheet. You can also put a rock in the bowl, or anything heavy enough that it can't be pushed out easily.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 PM

297 posts, read 502,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Dash, I think you're right. but maybe our vet's suspicions are right, too. He suspects she might have worms, or maybe giardia. She laps up a fair amount of disgusting water both in our catchment pond and at the dog park. It wouldn't surprise me.

In any case, I wouldn't feed a prescription diet with a gun held to my head. I have always believed those diets focus on one specific aiolment but don't really provide good nourishment.

Canned food gave Karma the runs. As I said, she eats Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice food. The lamb formula has curtailed the goopy eye problem she had.

To tell the truth, I hadn't been able to check out her poop because of the snow, and then since poops don't have date stamps on them, I didn't know which ones were recent . She's as active as ever, but she acts kind of spooked more than I like. Out of the blue, she ducks and bolts when I try to come near her. I don't get it.

I do feed the new puppy in a different room, but Karma has always been a very fast eater. I might look into one of those bowls that slows things down. I saw one at Petco that looked interesting.
Ok, something doesn't add up. If your vet suspects worms, why give Reglan? Did the vet ask for a stool sample?

Typically dogs that throw up from eating too fast, throw up soon after eating, not 6-8 hours after as you said in your original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs