Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,703,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Dash, I think you're right. but maybe our vet's suspicions are right, too. He suspects she might have worms, or maybe giardia. She laps up a fair amount of disgusting water both in our catchment pond and at the dog park. It wouldn't surprise me.

In any case, I wouldn't feed a prescription diet with a gun held to my head. I have always believed those diets focus on one specific aiolment but don't really provide good nourishment.

Canned food gave Karma the runs. As I said, she eats Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice food. The lamb formula has curtailed the goopy eye problem she had.

To tell the truth, I hadn't been able to check out her poop because of the snow, and then since poops don't have date stamps on them, I didn't know which ones were recent . She's as active as ever, but she acts kind of spooked more than I like. Out of the blue, she ducks and bolts when I try to come near her. I don't get it.

I do feed the new puppy in a different room, but Karma has always been a very fast eater. I might look into one of those bowls that slows things down. I saw one at Petco that looked interesting.
Dr Foster and smith has them also on line and the can food I do try to stay away from it.
The other food so led to believe does help her teeth. I also unless the vet does say, I stay away from the scrip diets for a dog. My dog now has a scrip diet she likes it when I mix it with her Iams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,750,669 times
My dog was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis and the medication metoclopramide stops the vomiting of undigested food. For diagnosis you need a barium with x-ray study done on the digestion.

I feed my dogs Blue Buffalo, too.

"Metoclopramide is used in a wide variety of gastric-motility disorders, including ileus and gastritis. Because so many upper GI-emptying disorders present with nausea and vomiting due to abnormal gastric emptying, metoclopramide is particularly useful because of its effects on motility and its function as a central antiemetic. It also may be used to control nausea and vomiting in cases of renal failure, acute hepatic failure and hepatitis, and in animals undergoing chemotherapy."

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,361,484 times
Timneh, thank you. We are hoping it's something simple, but it looks like we have some tests to do. She vomited her dinner at 9:30 tonight. Before that, she was acting out, not letting us touch her, and she just seemed "off". Our vet office is at a staff retreat tomorrow, so I'll have to get her in on Wednesday. I feel awful for her.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Dash, I think you're right. but maybe our vet's suspicions are right, too. He suspects she might have worms, or maybe giardia. She laps up a fair amount of disgusting water both in our catchment pond and at the dog park. It wouldn't surprise me.

In any case, I wouldn't feed a prescription diet with a gun held to my head. I have always believed those diets focus on one specific aiolment but don't really provide good nourishment.

Canned food gave Karma the runs. As I said, she eats Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice food. The lamb formula has curtailed the goopy eye problem she had.

To tell the truth, I hadn't been able to check out her poop because of the snow, and then since poops don't have date stamps on them, I didn't know which ones were recent . She's as active as ever, but she acts kind of spooked more than I like. Out of the blue, she ducks and bolts when I try to come near her. I don't get it.

I do feed the new puppy in a different room, but Karma has always been a very fast eater. I might look into one of those bowls that slows things down. I saw one at Petco that looked interesting.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,278,699 times
Have you tried digestive enzymes? i.e. probiotics and prebiotics?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,241,502 times
By any chance, did you just start on a new bag of food when this first happened??

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Have you tried digestive enzymes? i.e. probiotics and prebiotics?
Digestive enzymes might be the next step, but geeze, I sure hope we don't have to go that route. After having an entire pharmacy go into our late dogs' meals, I am enjoying the simplicity of feeding them now. My husband can even do it. But I guess if the enzymes would work, that's better than say, surgery.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
By any chance, did you just start on a new bag of food when this first happened??
I'm really not sure. It may have gotten worse since I opened the last bag, but this started before I opened it....I think.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
What worked best for me was putting the food on a cookie sheet. You can also put a rock in the bowl, or anything heavy enough that it can't be pushed out easily.
Hahahaha! Oops, sorry. Karma has been known to try and eat rocks.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,750,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Timneh, thank you. We are hoping it's something simple, but it looks like we have some tests to do. She vomited her dinner at 9:30 tonight. Before that, she was acting out, not letting us touch her, and she just seemed "off". Our vet office is at a staff retreat tomorrow, so I'll have to get her in on Wednesday. I feel awful for her.
The "acting out" is disturbing. This is when you wish they could talk.

Prior to my dog's diagnosis, she ate fast and drank a lot of water and drank it fast, to the point where the water would come back up. I was always limiting her water intake in stages to help keep it down. Everyone kept telling me she's a puppy and is just drinking too fast. I knew something else was going on with her.

She could vomit undigested food from the night before. That's not normal. The only other thing that I have to watch (and may have surgery in the future) is her tonsils. Her tonsils get swollen and she has to be put on antibiotics. That's the only time when she's "off" and doesn't want to be touched around her neck area. The condition isn't common, but ironically my other dog has the same problem.

I just thought I would mention these symptoms in case they might sound familiar to what may be going on with your dog or while doing research, you'll come across something else.

Good luck. Please let us know what the tests reveal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs