Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times

Advertisements

Yep...Your pic shows his ribs more. He looks like he has some raw skin on his face too. Poor guy. Thanks for being kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Thanks for saving this cutie. I have to agree with chiroptera saying he does indeed need some muscle tone. You might want to reconsider feeding the wet, if you read the label most wet foods don't carry more than about 11% fat. I would rather increase the dry kibble anywhere from 1/3 to have 1/2 cup more daily than feed the wet.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Actually chiroptera, he has seemed super friendly with other dogs though may have some food aggression issues (I don't know). My cats, he'd like to eat. I got a clicker and need to figure out some obedience training though doubt my ability to get him to any classes (am single, have twins, limited local support, and a demanding job). He needs more time than I have for him though I think is basically a good boy.

As far as his weight, the shelters sees a lot of pit bull mixes (pretty heartbreaking) and they are the ones who described him as emaciated. I don't think he qualifies now but he is surely underweight still.

eta: Yes, I know I am far from the ideal home. But he's not dead, and he was past his eleventh hour at the shelter.
[SIZE=4]I just wanted to point out that I was not blindly stereotyping because of his breed when I mentioned that, but going by the mention in the first link you posted to possible dog aggression.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=4]I've owned Rottweilers for almost 30 years and have fostered many, many pits and pit mixes so I do have experience with dogs with a tendency to be animal-aggressive. I would suggest only rehoming him as a single dog, or to someone with an opposite-sex dog only, and-or someone with a fair bit of experience. I am definitely more careful when evaluating potential adopters when it comes to breeds with “bad reputations.” I also get foster dogs (of any breed or size) around kids – even if it's walking in a park or past a playground, to see if they appear stressed or overly-excited around children, especially small ones.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Food aggression is not a flaw, per se, when it comes to being guardy with meals around other dogs; it is easy enough to manage. But I do think it's a big red flag when a dog feels entitled to defend “his” food or chewies around humans in the home and never around children.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]NILIF is a good way to go with new dogs, especially ones with a troubled past. It establishes rules and order and IMHO is very reassuring to the dog.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]One more observation, his muzzle looks irritated and possibly his feet look discolored....does he lick his paws a lot, or have other irritated skin...I am wondering about the possibility of allergies which are fairly common in pit bulls.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4]I hope you keep us updated on Harry's progress! And ((hugs)) for taking him in.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

I have absolutely NO idea what happened to the formatting there! I'm not even going to try fixing it in case I mess it up more. Sorry about that.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 AM

511 posts, read 837,893 times
He is giddy to see other dogs and actually had a friend also pulled from the owner when he was. I really think he will be ok with them. I just speculate about the food aggression but he has shown no sign of it with me and the kids.

His muzzle is not quite so red as it looks in his freedom pic (I had vivid setting on...oops) but it is pink with little bumps on it. He does not lick his paws a lot and it seems localized to the muzzle but we have to get 2nd puppy shots so I will ask the vet then.

I will check NILIF - thanks!!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Will add taking the friend was not an option. She was a bite dog and apparently did some real damage to whomever she bit. And she was not on death row like Harry was. One dog is a stretch for me. Two? No way.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Dogs often seem more dog aggressive in the shelter, due to the stressful environment. Also there may be barrier aggression (separation by a window or fence often makes dogs bark at things that they wouldn't react to otherwise) as they are walked by kennels, or as other dogs walk by theirs. Did they temp test food aggression with other dogs?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM

No, they did not. I had to commit to the little guy sight unseen. He was going to die that afternoon that I picked him up. But his next door neighbor, he was all wags and licks when he saw him as we left (my BFF from HS is paying for a month of boarding for that dog so he is off death row too now!)

Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
No, they did not. I had to commit to the little guy sight unseen. He was going to die that afternoon that I picked him up. But his next door neighbor, he was all wags and licks when he saw him as we left (my BFF from HS is paying for a month of boarding for that dog so he is off death row too now!)
You guys have good hearts.

subject2change is right about it being harder to evaluate dogs in a stressful shelter environment...you can sort of get an idea but it's harder.
The same goes for evaluating dogs in a comfortable, familiar environment, like the foster home. That's why I suggested taking Harry places and on walks and a car ride or two, to see how he acts in real life.

Many, many - maybe even most, with the right upbringing - pit bulls are friendly, uncomplicated, loving, social, smart and have rock-solid temperaments for life. I just (personally) believe that one has to be a little more careful in rehoming them. I'd feel utterly dreadful if I found out that a foster pibble of mine had become a statistic because I wasn't careful enough in determining its strengths and weaknesses, and matching it to just the right family.

Honestly from what you describe so far, he sounds like a very nice, bouncy young dog (albeit with a taste for cats but that's the terrier thing; my adorable Jack Russell Terrier cross is fabulous and well-trained and a therapy dog but no doubt in my mind she would kill a strange cat or kitten. Because she gets terrier-brain.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,350,242 times
Quote:
Here is Harry's picture at the shelter...pretty little face really got to me though I am not honestly cut out to be much of a dog person. Still, he is alive, being well-fed and vetted and getting some TLC every day. And hopefully will find a good forever home soon.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...90899071_n.jpg
Oh WOW, he is absolutely adorable!! Bless you for saving him!

One of our late dogs was emaciated when we rescued her. She ended up being a terrible chowhound her whole life. We were so happy when she began to fill out and look normal, but then one day my husband looked at her and said, "Uh oh...Hallie's looking awfully pudgy!" And she was! She got pretty darned heavy before dropping about 15 pounds in her old age, but she never regained her girlish figure.

Moral of the story: go slowly. Your beautiful boy will reach his ideal weight in time. Did I mention that he's adorable??

Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM

Update - I am definitely feeding him enough! I'll have to wait till we see the vet again but he has already clearly put on weight even in just 12 days. In fact, I think I need to slow down his feeds a bit since gaining too quickly is not good. I am going to see if I can get someone to watch my kids and take him to the next obedience class at Petsmart, assuming he does not get adopted before then. Around here pit mixes are a dime a dozen though so it's unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs