Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM

819 posts, read 3,210,893 times

Advertisements

So my neighbors got a puppy last month. He seems to be a pitt bull mix. He is about 4 months. Arwen at first was going insane and was trying to get through the fence to get to him. Since then, she has calmed down and they now have a cute little play relationship. They run up & down the yard, separated by the fence and so on. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday, I go outside to see what Arwen is doing, and guess what I find? That puppy is in my yard! They were having a good time just running & playing and getting all dirty. Then Arwen sees me and she got jealous and was like oh no, you aren’t going to pay attention to that puppy and started getting aggressive with the pup. So now I’m freaking out that 1-this puppy is in my yard and 2-that Arwen is going to hurt him. I then run to the front yard to yell for my neighbor who is out front to come get the pup. Her kid brings the leash and I manage to get it on the pup and get him out. It took a good 2-3 minutes since Arwen was not happy. It was hectic and I got scratched up a bit. After it was all done, I was pissed. So my dilemma is this - Is this my responsibility to make sure their dog doesn’t get into my yard? When Arwen was a puppy, I never left her unattended in the yard. If she dug a hole, I filled it back up or blocked the fence. My neighbors on the other hand, leave the pup out back for hours on end. So when I notice, I go out there to ensure that everything is ok. I actually feel bad for this pup since the family is always fighting and they should not have added a dog to the mix.
Grrr - why are my page breaks not working?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,637,526 times
IMHO, I not only make sure my dogs can't get out and I make sure other dogs/animals can't get in. Should your neighbor handle their side? Absolutely but that doesn't mean they will. It is a good idea to supervise your dogs outdoor time. ...and since your neighbors dog has found a way in...there is a way out. That is what I would be looking for...

I had the same situation with my last neighbor. Their Blue/Brindle pit bull loved to come over for visits, that is when he could free himself from being chained. However, I didn't mind, "Little Blue" loved playing with my big boys and was always respectful. ((To be honest, I didn't mind him coming over, I really like him and I loved watching all the boys play.)) I have two large Am Bulldogs (Scott line) and Little Blue needed some attention. It was a win win situation.

If it really bothers you, have a conversation with your neighbors. You can also find out how the dog is getting in and add at minimum, a visual barrier.

Hope that helps...

Edit: I missed the part about the scrapes. Did the pup do that or was it your dog that scratched you? If you need medical attention, get it!

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 06-03-2013 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Missed the scratches...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,692,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
So my neighbors got a puppy last month. He seems to be a pitt bull mix. He is about 4 months. Arwen at first was going insane and was trying to get through the fence to get to him. Since then, she has calmed down and they now have a cute little play relationship. They run up & down the yard, separated by the fence and so on. Anyway, fast forward to yesterday, I go outside to see what Arwen is doing, and guess what I find? That puppy is in my yard! They were having a good time just running & playing and getting all dirty. Then Arwen sees me and she got jealous and was like oh no, you aren’t going to pay attention to that puppy and started getting aggressive with the pup. So now I’m freaking out that 1-this puppy is in my yard and 2-that Arwen is going to hurt him. I then run to the front yard to yell for my neighbor who is out front to come get the pup. Her kid brings the leash and I manage to get it on the pup and get him out. It took a good 2-3 minutes since Arwen was not happy. It was hectic and I got scratched up a bit. After it was all done, I was pissed. So my dilemma is this - Is this my responsibility to make sure their dog doesn’t get into my yard? When Arwen was a puppy, I never left her unattended in the yard. If she dug a hole, I filled it back up or blocked the fence. My neighbors on the other hand, leave the pup out back for hours on end. So when I notice, I go out there to ensure that everything is ok. I actually feel bad for this pup since the family is always fighting and they should not have added a dog to the mix.
Grrr - why are my page breaks not working?????
If you have skin breaks, it will be taken extremely seriously if you call Animal Control. They might require you to get checked by a doctor, but it might be worth it. If the puppy hasn't had rabies shot, they would likely confiscate it. Your neighbor could face a huge fine.

I feel bad for the pup, too. I wish it were mine. It sounds like it would fare better if it were taken from your neighbor and given a chance in another home.

Having a conversation with the neighbor won't do a lick of good.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,430,663 times
Dog proof your own yard and the pup will not get in.

This means digging down and creating underground fencing.

The existing above ground fencing must be reinforced.

Go check out a good kennel (e.g. at a breeder's place) to get an idea.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
I think it's important to note that your own dog wasn't supervised either. You both have fenced yards. Neither of you paid attention to your dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs