Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times

Advertisements

I bought my first front loader a few months ago. I love it. It cleans well. I can do huge loads. I can throw heavy and lightweight clothing in together.

What I'm not loving is the hair that accumulates on the seal and the glass door!

It was just a little hair when we did the first load. I've been wiping the seal and the glass door after every load. But now it's a ton of hair every time. It's getting worse and worst. This doesn't make sense.

It can't be due to the front loader getting more hair off of the clothes because I still have the same amount of hair in my dryer lint screen as I did when I had the top loader.

Is all of this hair accumulating inside the drum? Should I be wiping that out every time too?

I guess top loaders washed most of that hair down the drain with the water.

This is a disappointment. Does everyone have this problem? What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Gee, this is news to me, and I've had a front loader for six years. We only got it because we're on septic, but I have to say, I preferred the top loader. And I think all washers clean the same. Water, detergent, bounce around, bounce around, rince, repeat, spin. My 20-year old Kenmore toploader cleaned as well as this Bosch front loader. I never find much of anything inside it after a cycle. Sorry, Hopes.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Oh, bummer! Tell me your dogs don't shed much! Tell me you don't have long hair!

You're lucky you bought yours six years ago. The new ones are water efficient. There's hardly any water in the new front loaders. I did like my top loader better, but they don't make big ones anymore with agitators. The big ones have no agitators and have terrible reviews.

I hate the government telling me how I can wash my clothes!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, bummer! Tell me your dogs don't shed much! Tell me you don't have long hair!

You're lucky you bought yours six years ago. The new ones are water efficient. There's hardly any water in the new front loaders. I did like my top loader better, but they don't make big ones anymore with agitators. The big ones have no agitators and have terrible reviews.

I hate the government telling me how I can wash my clothes!
Mine is very water efficient. I can hardly believe everything gets wet. And I'm not sure that was mandated by the government, or was it? I didn't know that about washers without agitators. How do the clothes get thumped around?

I have long hair. My dogs do shed. I have no idea where the hair goes when I do the washing. Now OI'm thinking I"m afraid to look!

uh. oh. It's way too quiet in the other room....

Old 06-20-2013, 05:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Mine is very water efficient. I can hardly believe everything gets wet. And I'm not sure that was mandated by the government, or was it?
Sam Kazman: How Washington Ruined Your Washing Machine - WSJ.com

The Curse of Government Washing Machines by Karen De Coster

How Government Condemned Us to Dirty Clothes by Mandating Sub-Standard Washing Machines | International Liberty

Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I didn't have that problem with my front loader in Massachusetts but I *do* have that problem with the front loader in Montreal.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
I didn't that problem with my Kenmore front loader and I don't have it with my brand new Maytag frontloader. I love the frontloaders. I'm on a well and septic system and for many years was off-grid on solar power. The old machines were water and power hogs and didn't get my clothes as clean. I've also found the front loaders to be easier on my clothes because there is no agitator.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
I've had a Kemore front loader for about 10 years, no problems yet...I have a peke that sheds somewhat,
I shave him down every few months and bathe him every few weeks...no buildup in the washer. I had another
peke before him and still it was okay.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 PM

I just checked the drum and there was hair there. Maybe I washed dog blankets a while ago and it's remaining from that. I don't know. I cleaned out what I could. I put it on the "drum clean" cycle. Fingers crossed.

There's a little catch basin behind a little door at the bottom that is supposed to be cleaned out once a month. There's no hair there though. It has never had anything in it.

I'm worry about wearing out the rubber seal by constantly rubbing it with paper towels. I can't use cloth rags because the hair would end up back in the washing machine when I wash the rags.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Hopes, I have the same problem. I just wipe it out with a wet paper towel or washcloth so it comes out in one mass and I can toss it away.

Someone once said to run the dry dog laundry in the dryer for a few minutes so the hair will get caught in the lint trap before washing. I tried it once, and it worked, but I haven't done it since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs