Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear what tactics dog owners use to get their unwilling large dog into the bath or shower. Hobbs was extremely stubborn today--he did NOT want a shower, running to hide under my desk. Tried "leading" him with various treats up to and inside the shower stall (which worked somewhat before). But today it was push and pull and then reward. He's a lab mix with webbed toes--he should LOVE water! After he's dried off, of course, he feels great, does the butt tuck and races around the room gleefully!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you get an unwilling, large dog into the bath or shower?-hobbs-bath-day-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,572 times
Pretty dog, you were right about him looking like my Leo. .

Whenever I turn on the bath water, Leo runs and jumps on my bed. If I come near him, he'll point his ears back, and then roll over while giving me puppy dog eyes. He weighs 40 pounds and so he's light, so I actually have to pick him up and take him to the bath tub LOL. I have coaxed him into the bathroom, but he'll sit by the edge or look at the wall. If I encourage him enough he'll put both paws on the side of the tub, but then backs down. I've tried treats on the other side of the tub, but that doesn't work.. He'll be getting a bath soon, maybe we can brain storm some ways

Old 07-08-2013, 05:29 PM

106 posts, read 476,762 times
When my fur baby Oreo was younger, he used the same tactics, running under the table or jumping on the bed as soon as he heard the water running and saw me bring in towels and his special brush and shampoo in the shower. It took lots of treats, threats "Oreo Cookie, you get in that tub right now!" And some pushing and leading him by the collar. He is now 6 years old and has gotten used to his monthly beauty ritual. Before we had a walk in shower he would get himself into the bathtub. Don't give up, your fur baby will learn the routine eventually, as long as he associates it with good things. He is a good looking dog!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Just get him into the tub regularly and give treats withOUT a shower to where it is 2nd nature. No big deal. Then ease into the routine ..... get him used to the hose, the sound of running water, etc.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Just assert your position as leader, no coaxing, no treats, etc.

Put a collar and leash on them and put them in the bath or shower. You may have to physically lift them or put them where you want them to go. Once they discover that it is not optional or a request, they will do it themselves on command.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
My first thought reading your thread title is to toss a small steak in the shower. That should do it.
I would probably just climb in the tub myself and take some EHV (extremely high value) treats with me.
That's it. He gets treats for coming by to investigate (first time) then a little jackpot if he gets in. No
water. Good feelings about tub without any negatives (water). Work to having a little water in the tub
when he gets in and then up to running water. Patience, you will have the dog a long time.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
For some reason a lot of "water loving" dogs seem to hate being bathed. Go figure.

We bring our dogs into the bathroom frequently when we shower, even if we have no intention of bathing them. That way they do not automatically associate the sound of the water with a bath. Sometimes we have them jump in and out of the empty bathtub. Neither one is a fan of baths, but we don't have a problem getting them bathed.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
My Labrador would never tolerated a shower. I knew that without trying it. He loved to swim but he hated rain. Try the bath instead. We picked up our Labrador, all 120lbs of him, and put him in the bathtub. It was a two man job to actually wash and rinse him----one to hold him and calm him an the other to wash him. That's the only way. In the summer, we could get away with the garden hose because it was so hot outside, but you have to use shampoo that is specifically designed for cold water so it rinses away easily.

We bought rubber mats to put down on the bottom of the bathtub to prevent him scratching the surface and to provide safety from his slipping while he was in there. If you insist on doing it in the shower, it would be a good idea to put mats in there too all surfaces become slippery when wet.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
We bathed our dogs outside during hot, warm weather.
Bath tub showers....boy they were a struggle.
We used long shower hose to get the dobie and the schnottie clean.
Lots of kibble floating Round in that tub!!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
I use this :

Rinse Ace 3025 Snap 'N Spray 6-Foot Quick-Connect and Detachable Hose with On/Off Sprayer, White - Amazon.com

It is a one time installation - not hard to do at all... Chevy will tolerate this "shower" but a regular shower would be out of the question... A regular bath would also be a real pain...Chevy loves popsicles - bath time is the only time she gets that treat... more incentive for her to listen...

My baby sister uses one on her two fur babies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs